I'm back with more questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by robin, Mar 21, 2003.

1. robin

robin New Member

Thinking about daily needles re future (yuk)
    Who on here had to go from orals to needles cause
    they also ran out of oral meds for you? Your doctor
    told you that you had used up all orals and now
    you had to do daily needles! If needle phobic how
    did you handle that? Also did you get a 2nd opinion
    to see if RA doctor was correct in his assessment?
    Did you try returning to some former meds that had
    once worked before submitting to a needle? Did you
    grieve this new situation? How long did it take you
    to accept this daily needle as part of your daily
    routine? I do plan to get 2nd opinion also, but wondering
    about others on here with severe RA (from head to toe)
    IF you came to this place I am at at the moment, what
    did you do with it. And where do you do your needle
    if you use one....in thigh? Can't reach my butt, so....

thanks,
    Robin
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sorry I have no answers for you, but I just wanted to send my condolances for this new turn of events in your illness. I hope someone here can be of help. You are in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  3. paula45

paula45 New Member

I'm sorry for your struggle and I don't have a lot to offer really. Two years ago, I had shoulder surgery and was on injectable Toradol at home. I have never been needle phobic, have given shots to other people, but absolutely COULD NOT stick myself. Weird, huh. Anyway, my teenage son gladly gave me my pain shots with no problem. But, a few months ago I had a terrible attack of occipital neuralgia and was going mad with the pain. I remember I had saved a dose of Toradol and no one was here to give me the shot. I swear, it took me 30 minutes of ....almost..doing it and backing out. I finally did it and think I could do it again without much problem. I took the shots in my thigh and it was really not painful at all. BTW....the Toradol did not help what was wrong. But at least I stuck myself. *S* I'm thinking of you and hoping things go well. Could your husband do it? One time, I had to ask my uncle to inject me while he was here working his cattle. He had no problem either. Said it was just like sticking a cow....actually, I don't think that was very nice. Good luck, sweetie.
    Paula
  4. robin

robin New Member

thank you...forgot your name already...for writing.
    I don't have that kind of husband and doubt our 26 yr
    old son would want to but I could find out. Actually
    if I have to have needle I'd rather learn it myself
    as I don't want to lean on husband or son more than
    necessary. Our two older sons live out so I don't see
    them enough. It would be better to get it right myself
    if and when....
    Going to try to return to a med with gold shots so I can
    have doctor do it but got to find a RA doctor willing to
    work backwards a bit with me so I might avoid self-needles.
    I don't think present RA doctor will agree to going back
    to trying old meds that used to work to see if they would
    again...
    Just trying to think things through, work things thru
    and come up with best solution for me...so like to get
    outside ideas...

thanks for writing :>)

Robin
  5. violettekb

violettekb New Member

Finally, someone else admitting to occipital bone pain. Does yours swell? Rubbing hurts and feels good at the same time? Hate pain meds. I also have swelling at temples and sore spots on top of my head. Had biopsy for temporal arteritis, neg, thank you but still swelling, pain, etc. And that isn't pressure point like back of head. No one pays any attention to my head complaints. Know anything?
    Karen
  6. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

For years I had to give my father shots. He couldn't do it himself, same thing phobic. If you live with someone you can get the nurse to teach them how to give you the shot. My dad was even scared of that but he had to have them and after while he got use to me doing it and I got use to it too. Sorry your going through so much right now and I hope that you feel better really soon.

Hugs,
    Jeanna
  7. paula45

paula45 New Member

The pain I get starts as a dull ache in my neck and quickly escalates up the back of my head and into an absolute screaming headache that lasts 48 hours and goes away when it's ready. I told my drs about this and no one offered any ideas; but I was in the hospital for facet and epidural injections and, as luck would have it, I had a "spell" while there. My pain doc injected the occipital nerve at the back of my head as well and it killed the headache. He says that this really is the best help for it. I haven't had but one attack since then (early Dec) and it was fairly mild. He told me if it happened again, come to the office for another injection, but I don't know about that. First of all, I can't drive when I have it..duh!....and it's 15 miles to his office. Also, I don't want it without sedation (was sedated before). Anyway, that's about all I know. It's a nerve that apparently goes haywire and I've found absolutely no med that will ease it (and I've tried a LOT of meds). Sorry I don't have better news. Do you have a pain doc? I don't really have a discernable "bump", but I can press where it hurts. I have noticed that it happens when I pop my neck, so I've started to be VERY careful about that.
    Paula