I'm completely new & have no idea what a Porch is

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Goldenpuff, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Goldenpuff

Goldenpuff Member

I cannot tell you how lost I am. What on earth is a Porch? I feel like I've never been on a forum before. LOL!! Anything you have to say will be helpful, I am sure. Thank you.

Hope you are all well tonight.
  2. Goldenpuff

Goldenpuff Member

Oh that just helps a ton! Thank you very much. And that was a great explanation.

Honestly, that's kind of what I've been looking for. It's so darned hard to maintain friendships in real life what with all the physical issues and what not. I miss knowing stuff about people and sharing plain old life can be healing.

Now I'm sleepy. Oh well. :)

Have a nice night.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Goldenpuff

Welcome to the Board. The porch has been open for the last decade. It was created
    as a place for folks to come and chat about this, that and the other thing. Other
    threads have a topic: a particular medical problem, a med, a symptom, etc. Here
    we just talk about whatever we like: books, TV, relatives, pets, pet peeves, movies,
    what we hope to get done today, recipes, weather, and things too fierce to mention.
    (Pro Health, however, cautions against topics that tend to get contentious, e.g.
    politics and religion.)

The porch got its name because I remembered folks sitting on their
    front porch after supper and chatting with the neighbors who walked
    by. Some of those porches had a glider (swing) big enough to old 2
    people (or several kids). My great aunt Ethel usually had lemonade,
    coffee, popcorn or brownies for guests. Small town America.

You can find the board rules at the top of the page (blue line). Click on "Shop"
    if you want info about supplements. "Supplement News" has reports about
    developments; research; etc. There is a tool bar at the top of box where you
    type messages. You can change the font, add color, etc.

If you click on a poster's avatar, you can get some info and pull up posts from the

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and assorted other problems.; very little energy;
    was born during the Roosevelt administration. Thank goodness I've kept my
    stunning good looks and sense of humor. As Julie says, this board our
    social life. People post as much as they like about themselves. From your
    choice of a user name I would guess that a) you do a lot of baking, or b)
    keep puffins as pets.

Feel free to ask questions. There is usually somebody with helpful info.

Rock :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Puff (if I may call you that),

Welcome aboard; glad to have you here. At first, the Porch may seem difficult to follow because it's like coming into a conversation among people who have known each other for a long time. It can also take a bit to get to know who's who but don't let that stop you. We welcome you with open arms. Just pop right in and soon, you'll feel as though you've always been chatting with friends.

We talk about serious problems we may be having in order to get support and support is always lovingly given. We also get silly for some comic relief. Some of us are great lovers of puns. Just about anything is fair game for conversation but we do stay away from politics and religion in terms of arguing. Nothing too inflammatory. We'd rather enjoy ourselves here and we do. Everyone new who joins us is a blessing and adds new spice to our little group.

Others have explained things well so I won't even try. I hope you do find the Porch a place you love as we do.

Love, Mikie
    rockgor likes this.
  5. Goldenpuff

Goldenpuff Member

Actually, my name came because I like to munch on Golden Puff cereal (you know that stuff Malt-o-meal makes that comes in bags?) as a snack. I was sitting here in my chair trying to figure out yet another screen name, I had a handful of cereal and thought...well, what the heck.

I started to reply here then changed my mind and decided to read the rest of the posts first but then I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the dialogue box to read the other posts so here I am posting. Looks like I'm going to be messing up here a little bit while I figure stuff out. At least I'm having a good time doing it ha ha ha

Ok...now I'm editing. Thank you for being so welcoming. And honestly, I don't know about you guys but I've got enough going on that the last thing I need to be doing is arguing over things I can't change to suit me. Who needs that stress in their lives? It effects us deeply, imho. And so does joy. I want to have fun, offer whatever I have and just enjoy this time we have on this planet. Pain, exhaustion, we have enough to deal with with the added burden of illness.

I have Fibro w/heavy dose of MPS, been disabled since 1997, they think CFS as well plus SFPN, inherited things (thanks, mom), they thought I had narcolepsy for awhile and misc junk - just like all of you guys in one way or another...after awhile it doesn't really matter...I just tell the doc I need one more thing like a hole in the head so if it doesn't change what I'm doing, let's not bother..

Well, I guess I'll just join in and thanks again.

Hope you are all well today
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi GP,

May I call you GP? Easier to type. Nice to see you back. You should be
    able to read the posts above the dialogue box by just scrolling up.

Here's some valuable medical advice from a Tee Shirt company.

"Laughter is the best medicicine but if your laughing with no reason you
    need medicine!"

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away, an onion a day keeps everyone away."

I'm not sure I want to buy a Tee Shirt from a company that manages
    to incorporate two spelling errors and a punctuation mistake into two

How are things at your casa?

7. Goldenpuff

Goldenpuff Member

Good morning, Rock.
    You can call me whatever types easiest :)

Let's see....me casa...I live where there are a bunch of fires around so we are getting a ton of smoke right now in our valley. My adorable h and I are having our yearly 'fire fight' over whether the windows should be open at night once it cools down enough or do we run the a/c to avoid the smoke (we've been together 23 years so this has gone on a while when we've lived where there are a lot of fires :). Being a tightwad, as my h calls me, this creates a conundrum for me....I don't want to breath smoke all night but neither do I want to spend the $ on power. Usually it's a silent fight...he opens the windows, I sneak around and close them, he turns off the air, I turn it back on...maybe we just don't have anything to do. lol

How are things at your casa?
    rockgor likes this.
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Puff, (What a cute name) Hope you do not mind our shortening it !!

So sorry that I have been so late in welcoming you. It seems that everyone in the know has told you all about PH and the PORCH. I like that little tiff you and DH have been having. That sounds similar to what we go through but not with opening and closing the windows. Where we live it is now pretty warm actually HOT and humid and it is till that way at night too. We are both tightwads :)!! I think a lot of that comes with the era in which we were born and grew up. Although I think that my DH might be a little tighter than me..

Tell us about yourself and if you wish put a few things on your Profile and a bunch of stuff on mine and somehow it disappeared and other stuff is on there. Others are now afraid to put some info on there due to people trying to steal identities, etc. I have a bunch of things including FM, and probably some CFS or ME as well as OA and hi b/p and trying to rid of Osteoporosis. Rock and I have are close in age so you can guess for both of us :)!!! He mentioned the name of the president Roosevelt who home we were born under. OMG, we are giving up our ages - ugh !!!!

Can't think of anything else to say for now as JULIE, MIKIE and ROCK have told you all the important stuff you need to know. This is my online family as MIKIE says. I had company and was hopping around with them and doing things this past week so missed a lot of this when it was happening. Welcome to our family and I hope you will stay. Do not worry about having to post long posts. No need to if you don't feel like it or to post daily. Some do and others don't. Hope to see more of you and to learn more about you here on the PORCH.

Love to you and all,
    Granni :)
    rockgor likes this.
  9. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Hi Puff.......cute name.......welcome

I found your post....everyone was talking about Puff and welcoming you so NOW I found your post. Join in on the latest Porch board so we can find you.

I live in So. Cal. Love to do artistic things, today it's planting some various orange flowering plants I couldn't resist. Widowed one year exactly after 46 years of marriage. Still haven't quite got the hang of that term though. I've got lots wrong with my body but then don't we all.