I'm confused about cardio and resistance training....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Sep 4, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hey guys,
    I KNOW meds., but exercise is not my specialty! I have FM/CFIDS and I've become overweight due to poor diet, fatigue, depression and pain. I can begin aquatherapy, but this really isn't considered water aerobics, just walking and moving and light exercises. I've done this before and it felt really good...didn't lose weight, but it helped me mentally and physically. I can go to the rehab department where I work and use the treadmill and the exercise machines. I KNOW I can't tolerate much right now...my BP is high and my stamina is quite low, but I need to start somewhere without hurting myself. I'm just getting over a stress fracture in my foot. I'm on my feet all day at work on hard hospital floors and I'm so achy and tired, but this really isn't aerobic. I have a tendency to over-do and then quit....what's a reasonable plan for me to stick with? I'm 47 and fatigue and pain are constant.
    Please advise!
    Thanks!
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Hey guys,
    I KNOW meds., but exercise is not my specialty! I have FM/CFIDS and I've become overweight due to poor diet, fatigue, depression and pain. I can begin aquatherapy, but this really isn't considered water aerobics, just walking and moving and light exercises. I've done this before and it felt really good...didn't lose weight, but it helped me mentally and physically. I can go to the rehab department where I work and use the treadmill and the exercise machines. I KNOW I can't tolerate much right now...my BP is high and my stamina is quite low, but I need to start somewhere without hurting myself. I'm just getting over a stress fracture in my foot. I'm on my feet all day at work on hard hospital floors and I'm so achy and tired, but this really isn't aerobic. I have a tendency to over-do and then quit....what's a reasonable plan for me to stick with? I'm 47 and fatigue and pain are constant.
    Please advise!
    Thanks!
    Kady
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am not the best person to respond to your exercise post, but I walk, on the ground not cement, but whatever you do, start slow and for a short time, like minutes, 3-5 minutes, then you will need to build it up slowly, very slowly so as not to hurt yourself and get discouraged by doing so.

The water sounds like a good place to start, as it is so much less stress on the muscles. Then you might try a diet to lose some weight if thats what you said.

Hopefully someone will answer that is more familiar with the exercise program for you than I am! If I hurt, I quit!

Take care, and wish you a lot of luck.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. RonaEileen

RonaEileen New Member

I'm 47, too, with fatigue and pain. I'm an occupational therapist who had PT to get me started in an exercise program.

Start with pool walking. You CAN get your heart rate up but not to dangerous levels. Do you know your target range? Ask someone in the rehab dept to figure yours out. Monitor your heartrate before, during, and after exercise. This is really important due to your BP problems.

Back to exercise: pool walking without weights first, then add some ankle weights, then use the aquatic dumbells. On land, you can use the weight machines but DO NOT over do. It is better for people with fibro to do more repetitions than increase the weight. Exercise each muscle group. I bet someone in your rehab dept would show you the best machines to use! We're usually nice people :)

Rona
  5. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Start SLOWLY. The water exercises would be a good option. As little as a few minutes a day will be helpful, and build up the length of time that you exercise very GRADUALLY. I feel that cardio-type exercise will be better for you than resistance training at this point. I posted yesterday about my experience with resistance training - it produces toxins in your body, it makes me feel 'sick' all over.

I really feel like when we start out exercising, it should be under the supervision of a professional such as a personal trainer or physiotherapist. Has anyone done this?

Alison
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Bravo for starting to exercise. You won't regret it. I think that probably Mel and I are the King and Queen of exercise on this Board! I hope he'll come along and give you his advice.
    I started with a water exercise program just for FMS patients. I did that twice weekly for 2 months. Then I started walking on land. I started with going around the block once. This was really hard at first since I was in such bad shape. I did that until I could do it easily, then upped it unitl after 2 months of walking, I could walk for 30 mins.Then I started Jazzercise, using a home video and always following the "low imact" exercises. After 3 months on that, I added a ski machine as a crosstraining tool. A year later I added free weights...very low weight, never more than 4 lbs.each, just do more reps. Start with one set of 8 reps. I used Jane Fonda tapes to learn how to do weight training, but doing a whole tape of hers is too much for most of us. When the ski machine recently aggravated my disc disease, I got a used treadmill. I also started using Therabands more than free weights because the free weights aggravate my Mitral valve prolapse by raising my blood pressure too much, causing palpitations and dizziness. I am now alternating treadmill plus therabands plus yoga stretching on alt. days with Jazzercise on the others. Sunday is my day off! I also take ZMA, which has helped me to up the length of my workout and also to up the speed at which I use the treadmill. All of this has not helped my obesity problem at all, but it has helped my energy level, pain, stiffness, depression and sleep, and it has no doubt helped my heart also.
    The key is to stick with it, and when a flare knocks you down just get back up and start over again. I tried to look at it as a chance to learn discipline and patience,esp. since I am a very impatient person. Good luck to you,
    Klutzo