I'm Confused!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Mar 16, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

Found out my son's girlfriend's mother (follow that?) has fibromyalgia also. She is also 20 years older than me.

Anyway, she does NOT take any meds for it and never has.

Why is it then that I need handfuls of meds to control mine?

Does that make me a big baby?
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I wonder how she feels every day?????

and .... WHY doesn't she take any meds for it??????

and .... NO, that does NOT make you (or me!) a big baby!!!!!!! LOL
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Don't be confused. I've run across that quite a few times - where someone has told me that so and so has Fibro. Boy, you'd never know it! Either they have a super mild case or they were diagnosed because their Dr. couldn't explain the pain they were having in some area of their body.

It has sure hurt me in some instances. A good friend of my boss came into work one day and told me that his wife had Fibro. Well that's all I hear now. "She's doing great". She has it in her hand. ??? My cousin has it - but she doesn't need anything for her shoulder pain. She also doesn't have any other symptoms except a sore shoulder.

I am very happy for people that don't suffer as greatly as some of us - but I also think that it certainly makes it harder for people to understand how we feel when the people that they know w/Fibro are those that have a very mild case.

Big baby? HECK NO!! You have Fibro as it is described in much of the up to date literature...a very painful condition, often debilitating that can effect many area of one's life.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

You are not a big baby. Everyone's FM and CFS is different. Some people have more pain than others; some people sleep better than others. I'm one of the fortunate people that doesn't need meds. But if I needed them, you can bet I would be taking them!
  5. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Here's the way I look at it. Every illness, disease, etc, comes in various degrees, as everyone else has said. When I get a cold (not to be compared to FM!!)I don't takeanything for it. I have friends who are down and out when they get a cold. I think sometimes it ddepends on a person's pain threshold - as far as the number of meds they are on.

I had a personal experience at a former job where, after 4 1/2 years of employment - with never a problem - I was told that I was being taken "off the schedule" and I could came back "when I was healthy." SAY WHAT?!! It's a whole, looooong, sordid story that I won't bore you with now, but I remember at one meeting that my husband and I had with the director if nursing, the head of human resources, an administrator and several other people, the director of nursing said to me, "You know Jan, I have fibromyalgia and I can make it into work every day." I glared at her from across the table and said, (and I had nothing to lose at this point...) "Don't you ever compare yourself to me. You have no idea what I'm going through." That felt so good to say that to her and she shut right up.

So......yeah, I guess we're all affected differently.

And speaking of sleep.....here it is 4:40 AM and I'm still awake!! :)
  6. June

June New Member

When I first found out I had FMS I was in a lot of pain and was put on many different meds.
    None of them did much good and I had side effects for them. Over the years I discoved how to help myself.
    I have had FMS for many years and the only meds I take now are 50 mg of Trazadone for sleep and Dolobid for Osteo Arthritis. I do take an ocassional pain pill if I need it.
    I have found that stretching and keeping busy doing things that I enjoy help me a lot.
    I do have to pace myself doing housework and things that are hard.

For me it was trial and error to find out what worked and what I can do.

You are not a big baby. We are all different. I hope you feel better.
  7. June

June New Member

Dolobid is not a new drug. It is an old drug that I was first given about 25 years ago when we lived in Atlanta. I was taken off of it for a while when I had to change doctors because the new doc I was going to said there were newer drugs which worked better, but no other one ever helped me like Dolobid and most of them I could not take anyway. I find that most doctors like to push the new meds. I also have found that when I have to change doctors they always want to change some of your meds. ????

I asked to be put back on Dolobid and again it helped me a lot. It is an insaid and I think it helps my FMS as it does my osteo arthritis. There is now a generic for it and it is Diflunisal tablets USP. I was taking 500 mg 2 times a day, but now I only take it once a day at bedtime and I am doing good. When do I get bad pain I will increase it to twice a day.

I did have one rhumy tell me that since dolobid helped me so much he was going to try it on some of his patients. He was a good doc, but our insurance changed and he wasn't on it so I had to stop seeing him.

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am going to start labeling these people as having Atypical Fibromyalgia. Maybe it will catch on.

Jam did they ever test you for the bacteria that can cause ulcers. I would think taking four aspirins a day would be very hard on your stomach, maybe as much as the anti-inflammatories. My doctor put me on Folic Acid when I was on a prescription NSAID as it can deplete it. So , now that this has been shown by SBM, it is not an alternative treatment.

There are new treatments for ulcers if you did develop one. But if you have not developed one from the aspirin maybe you won't from the anti-inflammatory.

My father got an ulcer as he was taking too much aspirin. He thought more was better.

I have been lucky that I have never had back pain. I know it can be so painful and draining. I know several people with this and it sure isn't pleasant.

9. Allen

Allen Member

Hi Shari.....everyone with Fibro is different and age has nothing to do with it. Some people take nothing and most of us take different meds. which ever works for us (even just a little bit). I did not take any meds for years (I have Fibro for over 20 years)....only because I was stubborn and really don't believe anything can help. I found its important to do stretching, keep as busy as possible, go to support group if there is one near you, have family support and take care of you as best as possible. I began taking Cymbalta Aug. 18 low doses. It seems to help a little.
    Most important, please don't be hard on our friend Shari.
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

was posted a long time ago. Shari has not been here for several months.

Doesn't mean you can't post on this topic. Just means Shari may not be here
    to read your message.