I'm Confused

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 15, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I've read on this board--and elsewhere--that fibromyalgia usually is triggered by some kind of trauma or illness. Although I have multiple sclerosis, I've had it for years, but my fibromyalgia was just diagnosed 5 or 6 weeks ago. I've also read about a possible connection with mycoplasma. I had mycoplasmal pneumonia, but that was 14 or 15 years ago, and my doctor says he doubts whether the mycoplasma still would be a facor.

I do get myoclonic jerks in various parts of my body, associated with my MS. Ten years ago, it was extremely severe, then it went into partial remission, and then three or four months ago, it came on strong again, this time more in my arms than my legs. Occasionally, the jerking also affects my neck. My husband was wondering whether if the jerking was severe enough, this could have triggered the fibromyalgia. My doctor didn't have any idea. So I'm asking you.

Also, I've read a lot about fibromyalgia flares. I'm familiar with the concept of flare-ups and remissions, because that's how relapsing-remitting MS works, too. But I seem to ache all the time--just a little more some days (or some hours) than others. I don't seem to have the degree of pain that a lot of you seem to have, but it's certainly more than enough to deal with!

I'm definitely still in the learning stages with fibromyalgia, though I've been reading a ton and will be leaving soon for my second fibromyalgia class. I would greatly appreciate any information you can share.

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I've read on this board--and elsewhere--that fibromyalgia usually is triggered by some kind of trauma or illness. Although I have multiple sclerosis, I've had it for years, but my fibromyalgia was just diagnosed 5 or 6 weeks ago. I've also read about a possible connection with mycoplasma. I had mycoplasmal pneumonia, but that was 14 or 15 years ago, and my doctor says he doubts whether the mycoplasma still would be a facor.

I do get myoclonic jerks in various parts of my body, associated with my MS. Ten years ago, it was extremely severe, then it went into partial remission, and then three or four months ago, it came on strong again, this time more in my arms than my legs. Occasionally, the jerking also affects my neck. My husband was wondering whether if the jerking was severe enough, this could have triggered the fibromyalgia. My doctor didn't have any idea. So I'm asking you.

Also, I've read a lot about fibromyalgia flares. I'm familiar with the concept of flare-ups and remissions, because that's how relapsing-remitting MS works, too. But I seem to ache all the time--just a little more some days (or some hours) than others. I don't seem to have the degree of pain that a lot of you seem to have, but it's certainly more than enough to deal with!

I'm definitely still in the learning stages with fibromyalgia, though I've been reading a ton and will be leaving soon for my second fibromyalgia class. I would greatly appreciate any information you can share.

--Laura R.M.
  3. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

You've had to fight! Wow! Hope you start feeling much better. I don't believe the docs know exactly what causes Fibro because they have just recently begun to figure out what it is! There does seem to be a connection between trauma and the onset of Fibro, but many have this ailment with no obvious trigger. So you have other possibilities such as a viral infection, thyroid problems, etc. God bless, Al
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I was talking to my Doctor yesterday, and we were discussing the onset of my fm/cfs. We were listing precipitating factors, and I think he summed it up well, when he said, "This is similar to a nervous breakdown, where the emotional system goes awhack. This is a physical breakdown, where your body goes berserk. Evision each straw that represent an adverse medical event through out your life. More pieces of straw are lifelong stresses. Pretty soon that camel's back is piled high in straw. Whether it is a large, catastropic event, or years of acculating events---there is a straw that finally breaks the camels back.
    Karen
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

My little icon is bowing its' head in respect for you and how calmly and methodically you are dealing with this new condition affecting your health and wellbeing.
    I note you mention you are leaving soon for your second fibromyalgia class. I surely wish we had that here; there is information and misinformation and seems over time they change.

The latest info I have been following has been the release of research info clearly defining a link between peti-mal seizures, FMS related cognitive deficits and why off-label uses of anti-seizure meds like neurotin et al. have helped.

Anyway, welcome to this forum. Sounds like you will shortly be adding info that the rest of us need. Love, CactusLil'