I'm Curious

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Newswoman, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

How many of you here also have MS? I've recently been doing research on MS, and I discovered that many of the symptoms for fibromyalgia are the same as MS. Since so many of the symptoms for fibro and MS are the same, did (do) you know notice the difference between the two? Although MS isn't hereditary, I am concerned because my cousin has MS. Wouldn't the fact that one family member has it at least increase the possibility that someone else in the family could get it? Before I was finally diagnosed with fibro in April, I was tested for everything under the sun (lupus, lymphoma, etc.), but not for MS.
  2. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

How many of you here also have MS? I've recently been doing research on MS, and I discovered that many of the symptoms for fibromyalgia are the same as MS. Since so many of the symptoms for fibro and MS are the same, did (do) you know notice the difference between the two? Although MS isn't hereditary, I am concerned because my cousin has MS. Wouldn't the fact that one family member has it at least increase the possibility that someone else in the family could get it? Before I was finally diagnosed with fibro in April, I was tested for everything under the sun (lupus, lymphoma, etc.), but not for MS.
  3. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I believe there are some people with MS and perhaps they will be around to answer your question. You can check through the old postings on this message board by typing in multiple sclerosis or MS in the message search engine box at the top of the page to see what has been previously written about it.
  4. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

I appreciate it. I looked at marcus' information, and it was very informative.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2002]
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I was mis-diagnosed with MS for the first four yrs. of my illness. That was before MRI was invented.
    I just stopped in to say that a tendency to get auto-immune disorders can run in families. It doesn't mean you will definitely get one, or even that you will get the same one. For example, I know one family with two people with RA, one with MS and one with SLE. All autoimmune, but all different.
    Klutzo
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That having FMS often leads to any number of autoimmune diseases, including Lupus and MS. It is not coincidental that a lot of people with Lupus or MS also have FMS. This seems to happen when a stealth virus or bacteria carries off some of the body's DNA when it kills a cell. The body's immune system recognizes not only the virus or bacteria, but also the body's own DNA as a foreign substance. Ergo, immune response against the body's own DNA and an autoimmune disease ensues.

Love, Mikie
  7. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Did a try a search using the word "ANA"?

Whoops you better make that "ANA test" otherwise you get a listing with every word on the board with an ana in it.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/18/2002]
  8. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi Newswoman,
    I have FM , my sister has had MS for about 13 years now and my brother has just been diagnosed with MS. FM-CFS_ MS are all autoimmune diseases, mabe that is the link? I too have not been tested for MS but I have heard that it is not too common to have a brother and sister who both have it. In that I may be wrong a doc told me that lol and he was not a good one!
    Anyway there are my 2 cents lol (all I have at this point )
    Hugs to you
    Denise