I'm Desperate!! HELP~PLEASE.......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrotina, Aug 9, 2005.

1. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

I'm going to the Doctor this Thursday and would like any updated information on either Pregablin or Milnacipran. Anyone use either and what did they do or didn't do for you? I am thinking of signing up for a study on one of the them and am leaning more towards pregablin, but am not really sure... the side effects totally scare me... heart attacks!! I am in desperate need of finding a pain medication... my Dr just keeps switching anti-inflammatories ... Bextra had worked wonders for me, but ever since its no longer available I went down hill at a high speed. I'm sick of trying new anti inflammatories every 2 weeks not to mention the waste of money I am spending. Anyone??
    thanks in advance!!!
    Tina
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2005]
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Pregabalin is an improved version of Neurotin. I have not taken it, but I am currently on Neurotin. It has "helped" my fibro pain level, but, to me, it does not work like a pain med.

If you are really in a lot of pain, and the NSAIDS that you doc is trying you on do not work, it sounds like you need more of a pain med. The docs ususally try fibro patients out on Ultram or Ultracet--is Tramadol the generic name of it?

Also, have you tried Cymbalta? It's a fairly new antidepressant that really helps on fibro pain. I also take it--and love it!!

Below I copied some info re Pregablin that Mikie has posted.

---

From Pfizer RE: Lyrica (pregabalin) 08/07/05 12:32 PM

It appears that Lyrica is a new and improved version of Neurontin. Pfizer has been trying to increase profits from their old drug, Neurontin. They have been in trouble for allegedly making claims for it in illnesses for which it was not tested and allegedly used unethical practices to get docs to prescribe it for off-label use.

My guess is that they are doing studies on the new version of Neurontin so as not to get in trouble again and renew their cash flow from their old drug. That is not to say that this version won't be beneficial for those with FMS. I hope it is.

Love, Mikie

LYRICA (PREGABALIN) - NEW GABAPENTINOID WITH WIDE CLINICAL APPLICATION

Developed by Pfizer, pregabalin, marketed under the brand name Lyrica, is a 3-substituted analogue of gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) and a compound related to Pfizer's hugely successful antiepileptic drug gabapentin (Neurontin).

In July 2004, Pfizer secured Europe-wide approval for Lyrica (pregabalin) for use in the management of peripheral neuropathic pain as well as an adjunctive therapy in the treatment of partial epileptic seizures. Subsequently in December 2004 the company gained FDA approval for use of Lyrica (pregabalin) in neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy and postherpetic neuralgia; making it the first FDA-approved treatment for both of these neuropathic pain states. Lyrica (pregabalin) is also being reviewed by the FDA as an adjunctive treatment for partial epileptic seizures in adults.

A SUCCESSOR TO GABAPENTIN
    First marketed in 1983, gabapentin (Neurontin) has been one of Pfizer's top performing drugs. Lyrica (pregabalin) is seen as an important successor now that gabapentin is facing the threat of generic competition.

Both drugs share a similar mechanism of action: binding to calcium channels and modulating calcium influx as well as influencing GABergic neurotransmission. This mode of action translates into anti-epileptic, analgesic and anxiolytic effects. Because it is more potent than gabapentin, Lyrica (pregabalin) achieves efficacy at lower doses. This increases its therapeutic index with respect to gabapentin and should lead to fewer dose-related side effects. Clinical studies with Lyrica (pregabalin) have been carried out on over 10,000 patients worldwide
  3. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

Thank you!! I have not tried Cymbalta, but will ask about it. Right now I am on Wellbutrin and have been on it for a long time. I'll also ask about the Ultram and Ultracet(sp).... I think I'll have to check my records because tramadol sounds very familiar to me... might have already tried it.

Again, thank you!!
    much appreciated!!
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Ultram and tramadol are the same thing. One is the generic equivelent. Ultracet (tramadol) is Ultram combined with tylenol.

I have used both with some success but need something stronger for really bad times.

I can take 1 or 2 ultram every 4 hours if needed.

I hope you get to feeling better. Did Celebrex work for you at all?

5. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

Celebrex did nothing for me. I checked my records and I was in fact on Tramadol several years ago. I might ask to give it another try. Something has to work. It's just so frustrating.. I'm sure you all understand that. Seems that the Bextra was my "miracle drug"... bummer.

Thank you so much for all your help. I will post what happens after my appointment tomorrow.

Tina
  6. northlights

northlights New Member

I think that desperation became my middle name for awhile!

For the last year and a half, I have been a guinea pig for every med that my docs could think of. Anti-depressants don't help my pain. They promised that a huge dose of effexor every day would help. It did nothing.

Amitriptylene was supposed to help the pain. All it did was make me into a zombie - a really FAT zombie, as its main side effect is weight gain.

I tried several anti-inflammatories, even prednisone and cortisone shots. They didn't do a thing.

Exercise made things worse. Acupuncture was a joke. Massage helps a bit for the day of the massage.

Ultram, tramadol, ultracet are not available in Canada yet for some reason.

So, I tried tylenol 3, nothing. I tried percoset....oh, it worked wonders, but only lasted about 3 hours and made me "dopey".

Finally, a neurologist suggested gabapentin (neurontin) and an extended release narcotic pain med. I've been on this combo for about 5 weeks now, and the difference is nothing short of miraculous. No, I am not pain free....but the pain is now manageable. I'm not at an 8-9 constantly now, but more like a 3. If I've really overdone things, I can still get up to a 7 or so, but it is easily remedied when it is time to take my pain meds again. I only have to take one every 12 hours, and it's amazing the difference it has made in my life.

I know this regimen is not for everyone. The meds do make me very very sleepy. For me, given the choice between agonizing pain and sleepiness, I'll take the sleepiness, and nap when I can.

many hugs to all
    northlights
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

When I started on the Neurotin and Cymbalta, it really made a big difference on how I felt.

I also take Zanaflex at night to help me sleep. I tried everything for the sleep and Zanaflex helps the most, and it doesn't leave you with that hangover effect the next morning. I can NOT take it during the day because it is very sedating (that's why it helps with sleep!) but if you take it a few hours before bedtime, you'll sleep like a baby!! I have the 2 mg tablets and I normally take 3 tabs at night, but can take up to 5 tabs if I need to. Some people even take more, I think.

If you've taken Ultram before and it didn't work, maybe your doc will try you on something a little stronger.

I have Lortab 7.5 for some major back problems that I have, but when I take it, I notice that it helps my back but doesn't really help my fibro pain. However, I have so many health issues and a lot of them involve pain, sometimes I can't tell if it helps or not!!!

Good luck at the doc tomorrow!!
    Janet
  8. dottiann

dottiann New Member

i've been treated for about 5 years for thorasic outlet/bialteral carpal tunnel, which has gone up and down my arms into my arms and neck,in conjunction with a bad back and chronic arth in my kneees and ankles, lots of surgery since 1975 and now as bonus i have fibro. My neurologist/otheoped and rheumatologist are wonderful but very honest. nothing is going to make the pain go away. I work full time every day so i am happy if i can just make it so i dont scream. I do cymbalta 3 25mg/ topomax 6x 25 mg/for neck shoulder chest spasms zanaflex 3/ and celebrex 200x2 plus an rehumatiod arth drug and some other stuff including norco, which works sort of like tylenol on me now instead of the vicodin plus which it is. try the cymbalta if they prescribe it, at least you will feel better, that is quite an accomplishment. its not going to make the world a wonderful place but it will allow you to handle it better.
    My Neu. puts me on anything that the FDA thinks will help and has approved he is quite progressive. and we have tried but i have no way to stop and rest. The FDA warnings are there to cover the tushes of the drug companies somewhere someone in the world might have one of the warned complications, it might be you , you might be hit by a car. you take a chance.
    e-mail me if you want i will respond, we cockroaches, have to hang together, we gotta survive.
  9. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

Well I am going to take everyone's advice into consideration and talk them all over with my doctor. My doctor, which is my GP, is an internest. I have seen many rheumatologist's but haven't found one in my area that takes fibro seriously. I had one rheumatologist only care about allergies and the allergy shots actually made me worse.. he thought that was impossible... I stopped going to him. Another one told me on my second visit to basically suck it up and don't come back to him. A rheumatologist is who actually diagnosed me, but from there on it's only been helpful to see my GP. There is a very well known rheumatologist whom I have been on a waiting list to get into see for the last 5 years... it's impossible. So I depend on my GP and I think he's at a stand still as to what to do with me.
    I have also printed out information regarding the advice I got on here for him to go over... he will hate me tomorrow!!

Great thanks to all of you!!
    So glad I found this site!!
    {{hugs}}
    Night
    Tina