I'm eligible for private Short and Long Term Disability..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by contessa, Sep 4, 2002.

1. contessa

contessa New Member

However, I've only received 8 days payment because they went with the shrink diagnosis from my initial anxiety attack. I've recently refiled and told them they need to only contact my rheumatologist. We spoke and he says he will approve my private and SS disability. Right now they owe me for approximately 19 weeks. If they'd pay up I would have no financial problems. My question is, legally I'm still employed although I haven't worked since late March. My employer is too afraid of lawsuits to fire me. How do I handle the fact that I will not - ever - return to my job. If I quit do I lose my insurance (100% employer paid)? Or do I simply remain in limbo for 26 months and hope SSD has picked up by then? (My husband works for the same company so I can't be doing anything outrageous). THis one really has me in a pickle. THe company was nice enough in that when I got sick they let me transfer health insurance coverage from my name over to my husbands. I've been lucky with the company benefits but not so lucky at collecting them.
  2. contessa

contessa New Member

However, I've only received 8 days payment because they went with the shrink diagnosis from my initial anxiety attack. I've recently refiled and told them they need to only contact my rheumatologist. We spoke and he says he will approve my private and SS disability. Right now they owe me for approximately 19 weeks. If they'd pay up I would have no financial problems. My question is, legally I'm still employed although I haven't worked since late March. My employer is too afraid of lawsuits to fire me. How do I handle the fact that I will not - ever - return to my job. If I quit do I lose my insurance (100% employer paid)? Or do I simply remain in limbo for 26 months and hope SSD has picked up by then? (My husband works for the same company so I can't be doing anything outrageous). THis one really has me in a pickle. THe company was nice enough in that when I got sick they let me transfer health insurance coverage from my name over to my husbands. I've been lucky with the company benefits but not so lucky at collecting them.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Cannot give you advice, but am bumping this up for you so others can share their experience with you.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

short and long term disability insurance at my current job for 6 years and have only used the short term...just recently, in fact. However, It doesn't start until I've been outta work for 2 weeks. I start getting $$$ on day#13. I was recently outta work for 5 weeks and was paid part of my usual salary for 3 weeks....wasn't GREAT, but it sure helped. I took out this insurance when I got this job, knowing that I'd probably need it sooner or later.