I'M EXHAUSTED AND CAN'T MOVE!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I went back to work last week. I am totally exhausted! I saw my GYN yesterday for a post-op visit after my hysterectomy. She said all is fine and I've healed well. I asked her about the fatigue and she said it's probably from the FMS. I came home tonight and could barely move. I hope this doesn't last. I was sitting at work today and felt awful! Plus I had a terrible constipation problem. I just want to crawl into bed and stay there! Well, hopefully this will ease up soon. I hope so......

Annette2
  2. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

Hope you feel better soon. I know that when I have had any of my surgeries, I felt like crap for quite awhile...the anesthesia does me in...knocks me flat...in fact, I lost a really good job once after having a DNC, because it made me so weak, I passed out at work! So, if you need more time, ask for it...don't push it too hard because it won't work. I'll say a prayer for you...think well thoughts.

1Writer
  3. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Annette2~~I am 53 and have FM/CFS, degenerative disc disease along with other ailments, and I can only work 3 days a week. But, by the end of the 2nd day, I am totally wiped out, and by the end of the 3rd day--I am completely exhausted and bedridden the next day just to recuperate. Plus, I'm on narcotic pain management.

I've often examined the difference between being tired, worn out, and exhausted. When I'm "tired"--I'm just tired. When I'm "worn out", I can't go anymore. But, when I'm exhausted--it's like a complete internal breakdown. I get totally bankrupt, and it takes me days to recover. I feel like I can't move; every inch of my body aches; it's an effort to breathe. I don't have the energy to eat; I lose all motivation; my mind is fogged-in, and I cease to function. And so I wonder when we get to the point of "exhaustion" what is really happening within our bodies. It isn't just being tired or worn out. There's something much more complex to it. More like being comatose.

After I had my hysto at the age of 29, I had constipation for a while, but it eventually went away as my body recovered from the trauma of the surgery and got back in sync.

However, working and FM do not seem compatible to me. I have to work as I am my sole financial support, but when I continually begin to feel exhausted even after adequate resting--a flare hits--and I am laid out for a week. I have been dealing with a post-holiday FM/CFS flare, and I have been bedridden for 8 days now, but have to return to work tomorrow. I worry about losing my job due to missing so much work, and I really, really need this job.

I try to do things at work to help myself. I eat a couple of ritz crackers with peanut butter for breakfast; take a 5 minute break between clients, and lay down on a mat and rest my back during my 30 minute lunch time, eat a piece of fruit, and if possible do some therapeutic stretching exercises like yoga, Tai Chi, or Qi Qong.

And though I have to cram 5 days work into 3 seeing one client after the other all day long~~I have had to learn to say no to additional work, learned to pace myself, set realistic goals for the day. I used to be a perfectionistic workaholic, but those days were abruptly brought to a halt with my illnesses. Plus, I try and take as much stress off myself as possible which took alot of practice and discipline to learn. Since we have limited energy, I found it crucial to expend it on only those things I have control over. I keep a journal, and that helps tremendously--keeps me sane--and I'm a therapist. It is my "mental housecleaning" and gets all the emotional baggage out of me down on paper, and I feel a sense of relief.

You and your body have been through alot. A hysterectomy is a significant trauma to the body--and if your ovaries were removed--you'll need some kind of estrogen or harmonal reinforcement. At the age of 29, I had to have a radical hysterectomy, and it threw me immediately into surgical menopause. I was constantly exhausted, had outrageous mood swings, crying one minute and terribly depressed--then laughing the next, easily agitated, and my usually good natured self turned into a raging bitch with hot flashes and sweat pouring off me, feeling clammy all the time, and totally out of sorts. Then, the doctor started me on estrogen....and life got back to normal.

For those of us who have to work to support ourselves or provide that necessary additional income to support families--we toe a hard road with this FM. Find ways to lighten your weekly load after work by fixing several food items on the weekend that can eliminate having to come home and prepare a dinner through the workweek. On Sundays, I fix a big pot of homemade soup which can be divided up into ziplock baggies and microwaved for dinner, or a large pot of spaghetti, or a roast that can easily be cut up for sandwiches and a hot cup of soup. Also, I make a bowl of salad which will keep well in the fridge if sprinkled with lemon juice and tightly covered with saran wrap. I also lay out my clothes for work the night before as I do not function too well early in the mornings getting ready for work. If you take meds in the morning, I found that setting the alarm 30 minutes earlier, taking the meds, and laying in bed for that 30 minutes while the meds take affect and then getting up at your regular time helps tremendously.

If you work and suffer with FM--it is essential that you learn how to make things easier for you. Taking short cuts like making foods on the weekends that you can divide up into individual ziplock baggies and microwave--instant dinner; laying out your clothes for the next day; fixing a light, healthy sack lunch to take to work with you such as ritz crackers with peanut butter, a piece of fruit, or a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, boiled eggs, bagel & cream cheese--light, nutritious foods to get you through the day and supply energy. Learning short cuts and finding ways to lighten my load has been the key to struggling with FM/CFS, arthritis, and degenerative disc disease. Let your imagination be your guide.

After a hysterectomy, our bodies have alot of adjustments to make even though we are physically healed. I know it took me six months to get back to feeling as normal as one can with FM and other illnesses. I was 29 when I had to have mine, and therefore that meant that I would never be able to have children--so there was also an emotional and psychological acceptance, recovery, and transition. I went through alot of mental anguish/depression over that one.

I feel for you. Take care of yourself not only physically, but emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually as well. I send you a Hug! Carol....
  4. danisue22

danisue22 New Member

sorry to hear you are feeling so bad.It's terrible when you have so much to do and just can't .I feel so bad for you. Hope tomorrow is better. ..God Bless ...Danisue
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

I think it always takes us longer to recover from anything. My suggestion would be to do as little as absolutely possible for the next few weeks, both at work and home. Nutritious snacks are great, but don't make them, find something that can be bought and just opened, or take some fruit or yogurt with you.

Get your hubby to do as much as possible during this time. At least he an do the shopping and cook some easy meals, even if he's not a great cook. Use carry out, and let him pick it up. Forget about cleaning the house. The mess isn't going anywhere, so you can do it when you are feeling better, or better yet have someone else do it

Our bodies are different from "normal" people. We don't have any extra energy stores. When we use ours up there's nothing left to fall back on. It's like having a bank with a limited balance in the account. If you use it up you have to put more in before you can do anything else.

For us that means rest. It might mean taking a nap when you get home from work, or going to bed earlier, whatever you can do to increase your rest will increase the balance in that account and allow you to continue to use from it, as long as you don't overdraw it. Then the penalty fee takes a long time to pay back!

I hope this helps a bit and that you are feeeling better soon.

Barbara
  6. karen55

karen55 New Member

for you Annette. I've had 6 surgeries since 1989, all under general anesthesia. It takes me a long time to recover from the anesthesia, months, in fact. That could have something to do with how you are feeling.

Karen
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm so glad you're all here! I still don't feel terribly well. Today I started having back pain, I think it's that rib thing you all talk about. I just posted something about that. My back hurts so bad, especially when I cough or laugh. I'm home now, in my favorite nightgown. I don't have to cook - we have leftovers. My son went food shopping with me so I didn't have to carry anything or push the cart. He even made up the shopping list! I had such a good report from the GYN about how well I'm doing after the surgery. If it wasn't for this FMS I'd be fine! I feel great "down there" but am in so much pain from FMS! Anyway, thank you for helping me out and making me feel better!

Annette2
  8. Cindy

Cindy New Member

Annette~

Just a quick note. I have been reading your posts, and I have had the same problem in the past, but I wanted to give a word of caution. What I ended up having was walking pneumonia, so dont let it go to long before you check with your doctor!

I also noticed that you are a fellow hoosier, and wanted to say HOWDY! I live in a small northwest town, the home of Indiana Beach, sure you know where that is! LOL

Anyway I hope you get to feeling better soon, it sucks to not feel good!

With much love
    Cindy
  9. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Someone else in Indiana - I'm meeting so many people here! Actually, I'm not a "Hoosier" - I'm from New York and even though I haven't lived there in over 20 years, I still consider myself a New Yorker (you should hear me speak)!!!! Anyway, I moved to Indy in 1995 and am enjoying it a lot. Indianapolis has grown a lot since we got here, and we find a lot to do - music, museums, shopping, restaurants. I hope we can stay until we're ready to retire - then it's off somewhere where it doesn't snow!

Annette2