I'm feeling better than I have in years.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nanna4550, May 5, 2006.

1. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Just wanted to share this exciting news!!.Some of you might remember that I was asking about what hormones you are taking for menopause. So, I got my results back and my estrogen levels were fine, but my progesterone was low and cortisol was high. And of course the dryness (you know).
    So, she put me on prometrium (100 mg progesterone pill) and an estriol/testosterone cream. She also gave me vitamins for stress and cortisol control that I buy from her office (can't order without a doctor).
    It's been over a month and I feel so energetic and good. I have been busy all week, cleaning the garage, helping my daughter move back home, weeding the garden, golfing, hiking and working 4 days a week. I'm feeling a little sore today, but I'm not in bed exhausted. And the hot flashes and night sweats have reduced to 1-2 times a week instead of 3-4 times a day.
    I still can't sleep without my lunesta and I do still take the cymbalta for pain (I'm afraid to quit), so I'm spending $275.00/mo for prescriptions and vitamins, but if
    I can continiue to feel this good, it's worth it.
    I'll keep you posted.
    I am so excited to feel good!!
    Nanna
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'm so happy for your relief!

That is what I'm working to achieve and hearing other success stories gives me hope.

Thanks for sharing.

You have inspired me to get my hormones checked too. (even though I'm 33 and probably not menopausal yet)

Sofi
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

My progesterone was that of a pubescent girl, so I ordered some progesterone cream on my own. My testosterone is low too, but I'm not brave enough to tried pregnenolone.

Thank goodness you have a doctor wise enough to look into hormones for you. It's a huge issue w/ this disease, whether one is menopausal or not. Even the men w/ the DD have posted about their hormones being shot.

Jeanne
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

good news on the Board. Hope things continue to go well.
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Sounds like you're on the "right track" for you..........hormones can be magical!

Enjoy your new freedom!!

LIGHT********carole
  6. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I am so happy for you! Yes, I think hormonal imbalances play a huge role in our illnesses. I had my first visit at FFC and found out I have low thyroid levels and low testosterone. I can't wait to start my treatment and hope to feel as good as you do!
  7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Ummmm. Maybe I got that one wrong. Brain fog. I can't find my file with my test results to check it out. I know there is another one that's out of whack and thought I remembered it to be that one, but could be mistaken!
  8. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Yes women do have testosterone and men do have estrogen, just in smaller amounts. I know a lot of women have weak muscles, fatigue, and low sex drive w/low testosterone. I have all of the above and am also low in testosterone...and estrogen, and progesterone, and the rest of the bunch.

I am only 28 so it is hard to find someone to give me estrogen and some of the other hormones, but anyway, yes, women do have testosterone too.
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

Its nice to see some good news on the board once in awhile!!!
    I only wish everyone of us could have a decent and thorough dr.
    because sometimes even eliminating 1 or 2 symptoms can make a huge difference to us~
    Continued better health to you :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  10. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

can cause sexual disfunction. Lack of desire is the most common complaint of women who take testosterone. But my doctor is very hesitant to prescribe it because there are lots of side effects.

God Bless.
  11. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

years ago. WOW!!! Now I know why men want to have sex all of the time! It's all I could think about, too! I would have stayed on it but it started to make me hairy & fat. But what a fun ride! ;-P
  12. You know some severe cases of men, at least on T.V. I'm sure maybe you've seen, where men actually appear to truly have breasts? Not just severely overweight men, some aren't really all that overweight at all--

well, some have major genetic/hormonal imbalances, and develop a condition called "gyne-chlamasty" (I'm sure I spelled that wrong--)

(and I know, it *sounds more* like a sexually transmitted disease, rather than a long scientific word for nothing more than hormonally induced "man-boobs", basically.)

I too, at just 25 found out my hormone levels (suprisingly,) were completely out of whack, everywhich way. I don't remember a single one being 'normal' though, estrogen was the *closest*......"progesterone was "through the roof", and, my testosterone was "in the basement" and also my DHEA was low"

Mainly I guess, I was suprised, because, I had normal periods, went through puberty at normal age, I had regular cycles, etc

....*but*....they *did* always last 6-7 days, heavy, and I was always a thin woman.....and from 2000 (age 22) on, I had a cyst on the left ovary, and cyst(s) on the right one that would come and go....

So, I guessed, I could see how they might be out of whack in some sense....(I had somewhat cluelessly joked with my doctor that I'd expected testosterone to be OK, if not high, being that I'd always been a young tomboy, and never had the most "cheerleader-like" of voices (tone/pitch-wise,)LOL,--did always sing soprano choir, and I'm nowhere near sportin a full beard/stache' yet...LOL Sometimes I'm amazed though, after all the steroids, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone cream, DHEA, etc I've been through. I just stick to 1/4tsp progesterone cream 21 days/month for now, and Cortef, and Decadron/Prednisone tapers when absolutely positively necessary, :-( Ughhhhhhh.....

(*singing*)".......I Enjoy Being A Girl........"
    LOL :-D

Take care all
  13. Nanna, That is soooo Fantastic to hear, by the way!,

My doctor absolutely believes for myself, as well, that with my immune system and adrenal system, it is still, diet, adrenal support, and **hormones**, as 3 huge keys to getting me to optimum functioning with my illnesses too, so I'm so glad to hear you're doing well.

Congrats!!!!!

& Praise God,

Laura