I'm FOR the health care bill!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kay31, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Come on, let's quit spitting on people and throwing bricks....this proposed health care system just might surprise you naysayers and actually be a vast improvement over what we have.

I worked for many years as a benefits administrator for a major life insurance company. I could see our premiums going up, up and up; I could also see that Social Security and Medicare were projected by the actuaries by probably "crashing" by 2012. I'm on SS and Medicare now. I'm sick of insurance companies and hospitals denying benefits to those who need it the most.

I can't write as eloguently as others on this board have, but I'm delighted this bill has passed and I am sick of all the squabbling over it.

[This Message was Edited on 03/24/2010]
  2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

Doubt it~~~Jeanne
  3. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Thank you for your nice positive post. I have been very quiet so far because with all that is on my plate right now plus my illness it is too much to read mean stuff.

For my those with disabilities it is a nice move in the right direction. I may not have to worry that my ds 7yo will be determined to have pre-existing condition and never able to get health insurance.

But the above is just personal for me(and all my friends with special needs kiddos). I am so happy for all Americans.

Kay, I'm exhausted and have been unable to keep up with everything on this but wanted people to know there are many of us out there that are supportive. I just have had extreme circumstances with my son lately. Last thing I have energy for is to squawk (lol).

4. JLH

JLH New Member

This post is definitely NOT meant to be mean, so please don't think badly of me, I'm just stating what's best for me.

For my family, I am NOT in favor of this new healthcare plan.

For one thing, it will raise taxes to the middle class.

The other thing is that is will most definitely reduce the payments/reimbursements made to the physicians. My daughter is a physician, she has gone to school all of her life (it seems) to become a physician. From kindergarten to getting her doctor's degree, she went to school a total of 25 YEARS -- this includes the years spent doing her internship and residency. She is in debt HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars in educational loans--she had to get loans to go to college and med school because we were not rich!

Her school loans are on a re-payment plan of 30 years, just like you would purchase a home. She still has to have a home financed on a 30 year plan, and her and her husband have to purchase vehicles that are dependable. And ... they haven't even had children yet, which will cost a fortune to raise from birth to college graduation, etc.

So, having spent her life in school to become a top-notch physician to have the very important responsibility of possibly saving your life, she keeps getting less and less money for her services. Already, every time she sees a Medicare or Medicaid patient, her reimbursement is just a fraction of what it is worth. Then she has the patients that she treats in the office and in the hospital who never pay their bills. Then the fraction of patients who are left, do, thank goodness, pay their bills.

She has to work 80 to 100 hours PER WEEK to care for her patients in the hospital and at the hospital. The longer she works, the less PER HOUR are her wages.

How would you like to have a job making a great wage for your personal education and skill level -- say $20/hour. Then, instead of working 40 hrs/wk for your paycheck, you have to work 80 hrs/wk for the same pay because you are a salaried person and are not paid overtime, then you hourly wage goes down to $10/hr -- but what if some weeks you are actually working 100 hrs/wk, then your hourly wage goes down even more. That is what I am talking about. Would you be happy if this happened to your job? I doubt it.

This is what is happening to her. So, we are not happy FOR HER.

Also, the reimbursements back to the hospitals will be cut. This means eventually the hospitals will be laying off people due to not enough money to pay them. So, people will lose jobs. When we go to the hospital, we will have to wait longer for each service that we need. It will take us longer to get an out-patient test scheduled. Hospitals will not be able to buy state-of-the-art equipment as quickly as needed because of lack of budget. It goes on and on.

For these reasons, my family was not in favor of this new healthcare plan.

Also, if Congress wants to exempt themselves from this plan, that means it's not good enough for them. If it's not good enough for them, then .... it's not good enough for me!!!!!!!!!

5. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Just remember, this is a start toward a government provider. And we all know how well that that works.

People bring up the Post Office and the DMV--these are certainly fine analogies.

Still, there is no better example of how inept the government is than the contrast between CDC and WPI.

Only in a government role--where an entity can exist for years without any actual success--could someone like Reeves last so long. WPI has achieved far more (you can't say X times more, because CDC has achieved ZERO) than CDC in a shorter time with a fraction of the budget.

A private agency like WPI that will FAIL if it does not spend funds wisely has strong incentive to act wisely with every penny. Government agencies? LOL.

Simon Wessley and his ilk are also a product of a system where the government makes healthcare decisions.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm betting that the cause of this illness is going to be pinpointed by WPI or another PRIVATE entity, and that effective treatment will be created by the big, bad PRIVATE US PHARMA INDUSTRY that everyone seems to hate.

Do we have anyone here betting on the CDC to find the cause, and the NIH to develop the treatment? Perhaps the government healthcare system in the UK will work things out for us? Maybe CBT and graded exercise will be the only solution after all.

The system certainly needs changes--no one can deny this. The answer is to CUT COSTS and create competition.

Still, with that absolute disasters with regard to this illness that have come out of government efforts with regard to this illness (e.g. the CDC fund diverting scandal and the treatment of PWCs in the single provider UK), I find it absolutely mindblowing that anyone with ME/CFS would support a greater government role in healthcare.
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

It's terrible to hear of the debt that college students are stuck with these days. I just saw my 23 yr old nephew today who is nearing the end of his second year of Law School (he has one more year to go). He is figuring he'll have a $3,000 per month loan payment to make for (get this) 20 yrs!!!! I almost fell over when he told me. His yearly tuition has gone up to $45,000 this year.

Now the govt needs to do something to put some type of regulation on the fees that some of these colleges are charging. These poor kids are getting very disillusioned with their futures and the debt awaiting them.

Congrats to your daughter for her MAJOR accomplishment of becoming a doctor, I am always amazed at the time they have to put in for all of their education and training. You should be very proud:)

Edited to reword my post, didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/28/2010]
  7. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Other professions do indeed have loans, but what makes them especially difficult in medicine is the 7-10 year period where you have no opportunity to repay them (all while interest compounds!)

Med school involves four years where you are paying (school) and then 3-6+ years of residency where you earn only enough to barely live on.

Law school involves three years of debt, then an immediate opportunity to earn substantive income (caveat: I acknowledge that the legal job market is terrible right now).

The ability to get out at 24-25 and start paying down the principal on three years of loans vs having four years of loans not being able to start paying until 30 (while interest accrues for FIVE years) is tremendous.

I do agree that costs of education have gone totally out of control. Still, I'm not sure that cost caps forced by the government are the answer.

Speaking of costs, doctors' salaries have been reduced approximately 50% over the past ten years WHEN ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION. Yet treatment costs have gone through the roof.

If the doctors are making less, where is the money going? Insurance company bureaucrats and trial lawyers in malpractice cases, for starters.

Instead of streamlining the billing process (e.g. standardization) and implementing tort reform, this legislation does NOTHING to address the out of control costs currently killing our system. Not good at all.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, I am aware that other professions have large school loans to. I was just explaining why I was not for the healthcare plan because of how it affected my personal family.

What is this world coming to?
  9. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I know OT, but I am not the one who went there ; ) & it does sort of connect at the end of the post

speaking of loans, that is another thing that is really freaking me out rt now.....education (which was my undergrad degree and is paid off, thankfully) required student teaching, and counseling ( my grad degree, not paid off) required an internship

not only do those not pay students like most internships and residencies do (yes I know in other fields they pay poorly but at least they do pay), but student teaching and counseling internships actually require the students to keep paying regular university fees the whole time (& they take up as much time as a job, and still require classes so it is not possible to work during them - that's the only time I didn't work before becoming disabled - so, anyway, the only option is loans, unless you somehow manage to save it all before and that's not likely at all)

so I currently have a ton owed in loans, as I got sick rt before grad school started but I had no idea I would not be able to work - didn't know that CFS could get this bad, so I kept going thru school thinking I would be able to work after.....now I have to either somehow manage to get loan forgiveness which is possible with disability, but is even more difficult than getting SSDI, or somehow manage to pay for them when I am not even getting enough to pay all my basic living expenses (if I used every single cent I get thru SSDI to pay my grad school student loans, it would still take me seven and a half yrs to pay them off and meanwhile I would have nothing to live on)

and in a way this does connect to the topic, bc thanks to the problems with funding Medicare and SS, the govt is starting to go after anyone with unpaid loans, even those who really cannot afford them, no matter what the circumstances
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/27/2010]
  10. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Sorry if you misunderstood my previous post, I did not mean any offense at all toward Drs and their related loans. I was just sharing my surprise at my nephew's situation, since I had just spoken to him about this.

He did tell us that the job market is terrible right now for newly graduating lawyers. When he started law school, kids were getting out and receiving starting salaries around $150,000...but now he says the starting salaries have dropped by 50%. He'll be living on a shoestring budget for several years until he gets job experience and is able to move up the "ladder".

I have always been amazed at the hours and the poor pay scale for Drs during their residency, etc. It's almost like the med schools are trying to break their spirits before the students are even finished w their training. Not fair at all.

I do agree that Drs are getting the short end of the stick these days, while the insurance companies and other places are raking in the money. Something is definitely not right!

Again, I'm sorry if I sounded snotty...maybe I'll go back and reword the beginning of my post. It's easy to write things on these message boards and have them innocently backfire on you! I sometimes have a hard time expressing myself clearly as I type, and also sometimes when I speak...I should have taken more communications type classes when I was in college, but I was an Engineering Nerd:)
  11. toddm

toddm New Member

I agree this is the same first steps most social change takes, it's in the right direction. Let's not forget this bill doesn't do much to change how health care will be handled. What this bill does is start to regulate the insurance companies, not far enough if you ask me...but oh well.

Again the question to ask everyone against this bill is "what value do the insurance companies add to medical care"? I've yet to have one answer....from anyone. They are an un-needed layer sucking money out of the system.
  12. aftermath

aftermath New Member

I agree with you that the insurers add little if any value to the system.

But before getting rid of the current system, we need to figure out an alternative.

The one thing that is VERY clear is that a system run by the same government that fraudulently diverted funding away from CFS, then installed Dr. Reeves to waste millions of dollars for years studying bad experiences in early childhood as a possible cause of this disease is NOT an improvement.

I agree that things are best done in steps. Still, the first step would have been to remove the insurance companies' anti-trust exemption and allowed competition across state lines. Second step should have been tort reform.

Barry's plan is basically going to bankrupt the current insurers and put them out of business. The fines are so small that people will simply opt to pay them until they get sick--then sign up for health insurance.

Since few healthy people will be paying into the insurance system, it's going to fold pretty quickly (when I say quickly, I mean after 2014, because the fining does not start until then).

We can only hope that a UK style system (Simon Wessley and graded exercise anyone?) does not arise in its place.
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It wasn't the federal government who diverted the funds. The US government gave the CDC the funds for CFS research. It was the powers-that-be at the CDC who made the poor decision to divert the funds away from CFS research and use the money elsewhere. When the government learned about this, it was them who insisted that the CDC put the mis-used funds back into CFS.

Several people have brought up the UK style system, however, in Canada we have a universal health care system and we do NOT have the UK nonsense when it comes to CFS. Our doctors here do NOT recommend GET or CBT.
  14. aftermath

aftermath New Member

The CDC not a private organization. It is a branch of the US federal government and those who diverted the funds were US federal government employees.

Yes, they were caught by other government employees. So what happened after that? More incompetence, where millions were thrown down a black hole on "research" into early childhood emotional traumas.

I'm no fan of the corporate system or profiteering. But barring criminal behavior or fraud, private entities MUST PRODUCE RESULTS, or they go out of business.

Government entities can go on forever with bad management, because they are simply funded from the tax rolls.

I am aware that the Canadian system has wisely chosen not to adopt silly positions like the British one--but any time you have a true single payer system--one where it is illegal for a doctor to accept cash outside of the system--you run a risk of this type of thing happening.

If the private system folds, there is a very good chance that a government provider will emerge.

The US system isn't perfect, by any means. That being said, my bet is on a private US entity to be the first to discover the mechanism behind this illness, and a US private pharmaceutical company to be the first to develop an effective treatment.
  15. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 New Member

What are you talking about. The CDC *IS* the government.
  16. JLH

JLH New Member

No, no, no .... you don't have to be sorry for anything! I completely understood your previous post about your nephew's situation and agree. All our young people in professional positions have the same problems with their loans, etc.

I am aware that some of the starting salaries have dropped by 50%. My daughter found that out, too, when interviewing different places. That was about the same starting salary for doctors hired to work at some of the "Urgent Care" facilities, etc.

I emphasize again, don't be sorry ... you did NOT sound snotty. Maybe you misunderstood something that I said. I know what you mean where it is sometimes hard to express your intent in writing here, I have that same problem. I'm use to being to the point, and that sometimes, doesn't come out in print that way that you meant it to!!

Have a good evening!!

17. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

Here is a copy of something I wrote in another post......

The Clintons tried to get this in place and were shut down.......
    Bush entered the picture and in 8 years made a huge mess and lied and lied......
    Obama is cleaning up a disaster just so we can get back to where we were 9 years ago....

I want everyone to have free medical treatment.....like in many other countries (that laugh at us, by the way)
    I want people that have paid for their health insurance to get the treatment they were promised instead of the insurance company either stalling on giving approval or outright denying treatment that would save a person's life....

I don't care if my taxes go up.....if it will help our country take care of its people, I will pay....because you never know when you will be the person that is down on their luck, wait, that is all of us....

and, if you disagree with me, fine, just know, I don't care what you have to say.....you won't change my opinion....

This should have been taken care of 17 years ago when Hilary Clinton tried to get it off the ground....

*** Regarding the stories about law school and school loans, our daughter wants to go to law school when she finishes her undergrad schooling in two years....she has had to borrow every penny for college, even though she had a 4.0 through high school, had great SAT scores, etc....i am terrified she will finish law school with huge loans and then get sick with fibro, just like me....she already shows some signs of it...insomnia, back pain, etc...this conversation worries me greatly! What in the world happens to people in that situation? Bankruptcy?[This Message was Edited on 03/28/2010]
  18. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

Then it must have been John Dingell Jr. currently holding a position in either the senate or congress who said this"It takes time to get the proper legislative and administrative poilicies in place in oreder to CONTROL the people" This was in reference to this health care bill! I heard it directly from the horses mouth,not just hearsay...this is what I object to as do so many others~~~Jeanne
  19. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

You cannot use bankruptcy to get rid of student loans. The only options are to defer them, (but you can only do that for three yrs), pay based on income (but even that will not go all that low), or get them forgiven due to total and permanent disability (& that is more difficult to do than getting SSDI is.....you cannot be able to work at all whatsoever to qualify and there is a sort of "trial period" (can't think of the actual term they use for this) where if you do become able to work at all during that time frame, you are no longer considered totally and permanently disabled. Also if there was evidence that you had some disability prior to taking out the loans, you have to prove that it became much worse, or you cannot qualify.

This is what I was referring to in my previous post on this thread. And, I, too, had very good grades and great ACT scores, had a nearly perfect GPA for undergrad (only missed it bc of a 1 credit required art class, and I am not talented in art, so I wound up with a B+)....that ruined my perfect GPA. Still was unable to go to grad school without taking out a ton in loans.
  20. aftermath

aftermath New Member

I'd gladly refuse Social Security if they didn't steal the money out of my paycheck.

That's the issue--they take your money without allowing you to refuse.

Moreover, it's nothing other than a big Ponzi scheme. The house of cards is going to come crashing down very soon. It was predicted to be 2017, but it may happen much sooner.

Stop the tax and spending madness!