Im gettin a puppy Tell me how your pet has helped you....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Britt2, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Britt2

Britt2 New Member

I am SOOOO excited. I am having my little bundle shipped to me (the drive is too long for me) from Portland to here in Kelowna next THURSDAY.

Her name is Bailey and she's a Mini Longhaired Daschund
    She's only 3 lbs right now and will grow to about 9. I am used to BIG dogs - my last was a Rottie and I love them to bits but over the past 2 years I have learned that with my new 'lifestyle' of ....well, doing very little.....a small breed dog would be best, and easier. I usually don't like the smaller dogs but this breed is really turning me on to them more and more.

I am really happy to have 'someone' to go thru this with now. I have been without a pet for 3 years now :( Being sick often and not able to work is rough. My boyfriend works and plays lots so I do spend a lot of time by myself.......not anymore!!! :)
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

Hello there- I have 2 dogs that are my reason to carry on. One is a aussie shepherp mix with blue eyes and is about 27 pounds, then I have my solid white lab mix who is about 37 pounds, she is a hand full but I love them dearly.

Do you know who the Dog Whisperer is? Ceasar Milan. He is excellent in teaching how to train a dog to be a loyal campanion and not take over your house.

Animals sense our weakness or illness and can take over, but it trained early you will have a wonderfull pet.

My first dog was a long haired dauschound, she lived to be 13.

I hope you enjoy her, they can be so much company, especially when we are feeling down. Please post a picture of her when you can-Carla
  3. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

congradultions on your new arrival!!! I am glad that you already have some experience with dogs and I agree with ckball that Ceasar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) is a great place to start in your training process. It is so hard to think of a dog as a dog and not your child. Especially when we need them so much for our sole companionship. Just beware not to let the cute little guy become your pack leader! The little ones tend to grow into pack leaders so much more quickly than the bigger guys because, well....they're just so cute and we tend to ignore those cute little snaps and nips and think what harm can they do.

Other than that, it is great that you are getting a companion and I hope you two have many long happy years together as a team.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

What a wonderful Pup you are getting! as said above you will have many precious companion hours with this little one!,,,,,,What a Cutie!

I have a Springer Collie Cross who is the love of my life right now but ,,,yes he needs alot of training still!,,,am working on it everyday!,,,,Between the spoiling Factor!,,,lolol!,,,,

I have to agree with you that Smaller is Better!,,,,My lucky has grown to be about 55 lbs and is 1 year old,,,,,He is full of P&V!,,,,,,But i love him and wouldn't trade him for anything!,,,,

I have tried and still am trying the Dogs Whisper'er Technics on him and they are working!,,,Yea!,,,,,,Keep us posted!,,,,,,,,,,,I put a photo of Lucky up,,,it's a few months old but thats Him!,,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2008]
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

She is adorable!! So cute! I got a puppy last spring to keep me company. He is a handful and really wore me out when he was a baby. But I love him so much! I also have an older dog too and they keep me company cause I'm home alone so much.

My puppy was supposed to be 7 lbs. He is 12 lbs!! We thought he was a yorkie, but are thinking he is really a silky, a breed that is very close to yorkies, only a bit bigger.

Enjoy Bailey!!
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

and so does the rest of the family. We got him from the Humane Society when he was only 10 weeks old--they rescued him only two hours before he was scheduled to be euthanized so we named him Lucky. I can't believe the amount of joy and laughter he has brought us--almost theraputic. I hope your puppy always puts a smile on your face!!! Best of luck with him!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2008]
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am very happy for you and your new baby.

My little ones have helped me sooooo much. I have a Jack Russell, and two Chihuahua's. My last Chihuahua was a rescue from the shelter on 12/7/07 - his name is Charlie.

He is a lover. When I first got him he was skin and bones with kennel cough. I kept him with me 24/7 - even took him to work with me each day. We have just not been separated (until I had to take this business trip).

Anyway, he helps me like therapy. In the car he is like my little mascot. He wants me to hold him all the time and he sticks to me like a magnet.

I am on a trip right now and my three are boarded at the vet. I miss them so much.
  8. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

I don't know what I would do without my pomeranian! {Pic in profile!}
    When we got her in 2003, she was 6 weeks old and weighed 2 lbs. Hence the name, Gidget the Midget. She weighs 10 pounds now.
    I've only had large dogs in the past. I sure didn't realize how attached you get to a little housedog!!
    Gidget is my constant companion. She is very smart with endless energy! She is also spoiled rotten!! :)

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of your puppy as I've had with Gidget!

9. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

We are dog shopping too. Our dog got killed last October. We haven't found anything yet that suits us. We want a lab mix. Pure breds are very expensive.
  10. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I am getting a new puppy tomorrow. And of all breeds it is a great dane, haha! I used to raise great danes years ago but had to give it up when I got too sick. But I still love the breed. I also love yorkies. I have several yorkies too, haha! Anyway, I'm getting a male harlequin puppy. He is white with black spots. He is 12 weeks old and I bet he is huge already!

11. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

She brings me her toys as gifts and we always bump foreheads to say hello when I come home from work.

Don't now what I'd do without her.

Love and hugs.

12. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I am owned by a toy poodle. He is 5 years old and weighs about 8 pounds. He is by my side 24/7.

He is such company for me and also a very good watch dog.

have fun and just need a lot of patience to train.

13. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

is a Bull Mastiff, (there's a pic in my profile) he has helped me on my worst days, he will come lay with me. He is a very big boy, so sometimes I have to fight for the covers.
    We kennel trained him, and that worked out so well, especially for potty training. We keep the kennel in our room, and he is free to come and go as he pleases. However that was not always the case, he got into it with a ficus that I had growing in the living room. Man, that was a mess. He has definately been a blessing, and a source of entertainment.
    Hope all goes well with your new pup,
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You can't beat the companship of a dog with these illnesses.

I have had many dogs all my life, right now I have a 110lb American Bulldog (she was 'suppose to be 55-60lbs), a very big girl, but a darling. I used Ceasar Milane's methods to train her. He is wonderful.

She is an Alpha female, so it was hard at first to teach her who was the Alpha dog here :), but she is fine now. She made 4 years old in Nov. 07.

She keeps me company, sleeps with me, is at my side all day and night. Has a head bigger than I do, and out weighs me by 15lbs, but she is a darling. She is white with a tan saddle on her back, big white head with one back eye!

Before her I had a white Boxer and a Pit Bull, both have gone to heaven now, they were both 15 years old when I lost them. Those two are in my profile, I need to update it with my girl here.

She loves people, but can sense danger, and does not want anyone close to me.

Bevy, your Mastiff is a beauty! looks like my AB with that big head and the underbit! YOur baby looks wonderful! I love big bull dog types, but love all dogs. I had a Bull Mastiff years ago, she was a darling, she was blonde colored.

I have a mix Daschund/with some kind of small bulldog, she has the face of the bull, named Penny who is loveable but does not like the AB, so have to keep them separated, she is also an Alpha that wants to be pack leader at 8lbs!

I found her in a supermarket (or I should say she found 'me') 7 years ago. I also have another girl, do not know what she is, found her on the side of the road at about 4 weeks old, she is black, with a black tongue, her name is Ko Ko, she has bad front legs from birth, I give her 'Joint Fuel' and it helps her walk better. She is 6 years old, geat gentle little girl about 30lbs. Her and Penny get along well, so that helps. All are kennel trained.

Yes, they keep my life worth living, and they do make me move around no matter how I feel.

All your dogs sound wonderful, including the cats. I am a true animal lover! But Bull dogs are my favorite.

Enjoy you pup, I know it will brighten up your life more than anyone could imagine.............Unconditional love!

Shalom, Shirl

15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Congratulations on the new addition.

I'm also puppy shopping, my Malt Dixie is just bored being an only child. Somehow my daughter managed to sneak out my 4 pound Napoleon cat Diva when she married in July.

I don't know what I would have done without Dixie by my side the last 6 yrs. She sleeps with me, keeps me company and makes me laugh.

Nancy B