I'm Getting Concerned...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

A couple of nights ago I fell asleep on the couch and when I got up I noticed I was dragging my big toe across the carpet. (Sounds funny doesn't it?)

Immediately I thought it felt like it was "asleep" so I really didn't think too much about it but I began to notice lately that my foot has been swollen. My right one maybe a little bit too but the left one is pretty puffy!

Things I HAVE been doing different lately:
    Eating more potato chips and crackers w/cheese
    Washing my mouth out with salt water (I have a toothache)
    Using clove oil on my tooth
    Also, I have also been taking more of my hydrocodone lately (4-6/day) due to my toothache and fibro pain but other than that nothing different.

Oh there is one more thing. This past weekend I drank coffee using water from my water softener which is something I NEVER do.

I don't drink much liquid, mostly a galss of milk and coffee in the a.m. pepsi (less than a glass) and OJ late in the evening - but I am an ice cruncher and do this all day long.

I went to my Rhuemy yesterday and my BP was 129/78 - low for me because they usually think I'm going to stroke out when they take my BP.

Should I be alarmed?

Comments, advice, suggestions?

P,S, I have tingeling in my hands and feet but this has always been normal for me. Dx'd with "Severley moderate carpal tunnel in R arm."
    [This Message was Edited on 06/17/2009]
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Did you tell your Rheumy about your foot and toe? I would suggest discontinuing the hydrocodone and see if that helps. That stuff can have some nasty side-effects. Sorry about your tooth pain.

3. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

No, I didn't think too much about all this until I got home last night and noticed the puffiness was still there when I took off my shoes.

I was hoping it wasn't the hydrocodone, I'm just now getting used to taking it "as directed".

Thanks T!
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Sounds like you're adding a lot more salt to your diet. When I eat any salt or even baked goods, more carbs than usual, my feet (and other things) swell considerably. I can't bend my big toes sometimes when I'm swollen

You may be retaining water. When you poke at the skin, does it leave a white mark or fingerprint? When you bend your toes, does the knuckle look white? that's what water retention can do. Try to elevate your feet, drink more water and if it doesn't improve talk to your doc. IF it's water retention, you can get a diuretic. Also, have you gained any weight at all - even a couple of lbs?

I don't think your hydrocodone is making your foot swell.
  5. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I'm thinking more salt than usual is probably the key. I did try to drink more water yesterday and last night and I can see my ankle this morning.

I asked my pharmisist and she didn't think it was the hydrocodone either.

This mornign it's something different. Slight stomach ache and nausea. Feels like morning sickness.
    (No chance, I don't have the parts anymore)

Woe is me...BUT
    "Brighter days ahead!"

Thanks for you responses, all.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2009]
  6. blueeyedgrl73

blueeyedgrl73 New Member

hey there! have you been checked for gout? it usually affects the big toe but can occur in other or all joints as well. if you were swelling from the sodium or any outside sources i would think your other foot would be the same size unless there is some kind of circulation problem. also, not to alarm you but blood clots in the leg can cause swelling...is it just your foot or your leg? i would ask your doctor for sure...one foot swelling with weakness is concerning. take care! :) Blue
  7. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I have not been checked for gout. I think my big toe was just "asleep" the other night, but that's what made me notice my foot being swollen. Swelling was just in my foot - the right one was swollen a little but not as much.

I will mention all of this to my dr. though.

~ R.
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Is your ankle also swollen? You probably should get that checked out by your doctor as swelling in just one lower limb can be a sign of a blood clot.
  9. Engel

Engel New Member

The toe thing ... then the whole front of my foot would turn under like it was dead and trip me ... very frightening. I have plantar facitis (sp) and had had 2 cortisone injections. I thought that was what was wrong. Then it happened with the other foot!!! I am also having problems with my hands but there again I have bilateral carpal tunnel (I had surgeries). I mentioned this to PCP but he said it was lack of exercise. ?????????? WHAT????????? I am seeing my Rheumy 7/7 so hopefully I can get some answers. It is very worrisome and downright scary! I do not crave salt or ice though.
  10. spacee

spacee Member

Have no experience with that. However, I have had experience with ice crunching all day. I was severely anemic. And that was the question the doctor asked me when my iron level came back as almost nonexistent. "Do you crave ice?". You posted that you didn't crave the ice and I probably would have said that I didn't crave it either...just that I liked it.

Might be low iron or something you have already checked out.

Hope you find out something!!