I'm having chills, but I'm not cold

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by TXPeach, Oct 19, 2004.

1. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

I know it sounds crazy, but has anyone had this happen to them? For the past couple of weeks my body acts like I am chilled when I'm not.

I get goosebumps all over. It will sweep over me and then leave within a few seconds. It is so strange. I really don't know how else to describe it. It's like chills, but I am not cold! Very strange sensation.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this a part of FMS? Thanks in advance to all who can help me make sense of this.

warm hugz,
    Peach
  2. basethound

basethound New Member

hi peach, It happens to me several times a week, my husband just can't get over it, if were in the kitchen all of a sudden I get the chills and goosebumps, and sometimes if someone just touches me or when I'm sitting down, I hope other's respond I'm interested in other's that can relate, take care, barb
  3. Marisa68

Marisa68 New Member

You're definitely not crazy. I get this too! Happens for a few seconds then goes away. Like my insides are going haywire. Kind of a chills/electric sensation that sweeps through me. It can happen anytime to me.

Before being diagnosed with Fibro I would search the internet about it. Things like MS, etc. would pop up. I got scared and quit trying to figure out what it was! LOL!

I guess just another crazy Fibro symptom.
  4. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Yes, I searched the internet too. I have searched it so many times lately with all the odd symptoms I've had, and it does get scary at times! I've had several scans, and the dr. says I don't have MS.

Last night my husband said, "Oh, it's probably another one of those weird fibro things". It was just alarming to me because that has never happened until recently.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Thank you so much for your responses. I, too, would be curious to know what others think about this.

Thanks everyone.
    warm hugz,
    Peach
  5. Bkay

Bkay New Member

I have had this also, Usually in the middle of the night..The chills go from the top of the head to the toes, and then it goes away...I haven't had it in awhile, but can sure relate to it...So don't feel alone...
  6. Kourysgranny

Kourysgranny New Member

I get those sensations alot also. At first, I was told it was a precurser to anxiety attacks because after the sensation all over I would tremble uncontrollably for awhile and had to go to bed. Ativan has really helped. As soon as I feel the "chill" start I take an Ativan and avoid the rest of the nasty picture! It is a scary feeling for sure! You'd think will so many people having the same "strange" symptoms, they'd diagnose fm easier and sooner than they do! Oh well, leave it to the doctor's!!!

Marlene
  7. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

Had them darn goose bump's sense Iv had this DD,
    I'v ment alot of other FM's , that look at me odd,
    But Anyway, For myself at first anyway & I still slow down, as i beleave & know that when I get thease goose bump's I'm going into a flare, Yr's later now, I just somtimes get them & no flare , but its alway's when Im over doing it,
    So The dr dosn"t even know why we get them,
    But I'v started w/ a new fibro Dr, in canton Oh & have a pt appt thur's , I'll ask,
    Well take care ,God Bless,
    How long have you had Fm/cfs, Iv had it 12 yr's if not all my Life,, have you tryed the new Cymbalta, Im on my second week, first you take 30 mgs for a week , then 60, its sapposto help w/ deppression & go's to our nerotransmitters , wear we have the pain signail,
    well bye for now
    CindyG.
  8. Chermione

Chermione New Member

are one of the first signs of a cold or sinus infection coming on.
  9. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I have had that the last couple days...it seems to last about 45 minutes..and I am just freezing...similar to when you are coming down with a cold..or the flu..but then it leaves! and I am "normal" temp again. I chalk so much of this up to fibro as I have had the tests run..and two doctors have now concurred that is what I have.
  10. TXPeach

TXPeach New Member

Cindy..I was offically diagnosed in August '04, but I have had FMS much longer than that--several years.

I haven't tried Cymbalta yet. I have certainly read a lot of good things about it here though. I hope it works for you. Let me know how you do on it.

Also, let me know what your new doctor says about the chills. I haven't talked to mine about it yet. I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one before I bring it up.

Thanks again to everyone for your replies. It helps so much knowing I am not alone.

warm hugz to everybody,
    Peach

11. dee3

dee3 New Member

I too have had this happen in the last few years. I have hypotension (low blood pressure) so just thought that was the cause. On occaison I feel 'internally'cold (not sure how else to describe it) so much so that my teeth chatter. I remember one episode was in the middle of July (very hot outside) and I was in bed with 3 blankets and the desire to turn up the furnace. I thought I was catching a nasty flu, but this has happened several times since. Seems that nothing can warm me up.

Dee
  12. minimommie

minimommie New Member

I had that happen yesterday. The temp was 90 degrees outside. There air was on in the house, but it turned it off and got under my electric blanket. I had chill bumps teeth chattering and the whole works. I ache all over when I get that way. I been having this for years, but never knew it was fibro related. I took my temperature because my dh thought I was coming down with something and had fever. It was 98.1. Go figure!

My family could not stand the humidity and heat in the house so they turned the air back on. I just stayed under my blanket. It passed after a few hours.

Sometimes I'll ache all over and have a sore throat. I just know I'm getting a cold or some type of virus, but when I wake up the next morning it's gone.

The mysteries of fibro!!!

Hugs,
    Mini
  13. vp

vp New Member

I get this sensation several times a day.
    mine feel like a wave of goosebumps over different parts of my body. sometimes my arms, or just one arm, a part of my back, legs, etc... or any random combination of them. The crazy thing is that when I look at my skin where I feel the "goosebumps" there is usually nothing visible there. Alot of times I get that sort of feeling on my head. It almost feels like when you take a stalking hat off and your hair is full of static electricity. I tried to explain this to doc yasterday, he just said my nerves were overactive due to stress. Sound to me lke a "catch all" explanation for "I don't know"

Valerie
  14. Marisa68

Marisa68 New Member

Valerie that is a GREAT description of what my scalp will feel like. Static! I must look like a crazy person when it happens because I run my hands up into my hair and hold onto my head. LOL!
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Sounds like the "rushes" we used to get from certain drugs.

My scalp does that and it feels just like the sensation that used to make me go "whoa, head rush". In my wild youth I tried speed and cocaine. Both would cause this sensation. Now I figure it is the result of one or more of my meds.

Hugzz!
  16. violarose1

violarose1 New Member

i hardly take any meds for my illeness. i get it too. its awful, sometimes. i always have to make sure i bring a sweater wherever i go. but no fever.
  17. posey1

posey1 New Member

Yes, I get the "goosebumps" too. Last night was the first time in a while and I am having them right now. I never get a fever with them. I do have fibro. Starting taking Cymbalta about a month ago and it is helping some with the burning, tingling, numbness and pain that I get almost everywhere on my body.

Hugs,
    Posey1
  18. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

hi peach ,
    I went to pt but forgot , to ask I go next week againe, I need to reset a appt & will, I will let you know,
    love& hugs Cindy