I'm having surgery next week...worried.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hermitlady, Jul 25, 2008.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I'm having arthroscopic surgery next Friday on my L shoulder due to severe tendonitis of my rotator cuff, bursitis and joint impingement. I'm in a flare right now due to some horrible stress I've had to deal with the last couple of wks.

With all the meds I take, I'm a bit worried about the anesthesia and how my recovery will be. I have a pre-op appt w my Orthopedic Surgeon next Tues, so I will talk to him about my concerns.

Has anyone had surgery while weak already from a flare of FM/CFS? I really need to get this done since the pain seems to worsen each day. I had the same surgery on my other shoulder 18 yrs ago and it worked wonders.

Just looking for some moral support I guess. Thanks.......Hermit
  2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

sending you lots of positive thoughts and very gentle
    hugs, Let us know how it goes.

Susan :)
  3. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

love love love for you.

I take a billion meds, have a small mouth, allergic to stuff, was in flare and had surgery 3 weeks ago. I understand.

Everything went well. I wrote a list of my meds and med history and concerns. Copied it. verbally told and handed a copy to every member of my surgery team that I met.

You have my moral support, Hermit.
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I will be reminding my Dr of my med list. I already take Norco daily and hope it will still be effective enough to help w the post op pain. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You need some moral support? You got it!
    We're here for you! As suggested, make sure you have a list of your meds and concerns and talk to everyone involved, including a personal meeting with the anesthesiologist.

You may very well need something stronger than Norco while recovering and I'm sure they'll give you what you need. Don't worry about that.

Is this the kind of surgery that you come home the same day or they keep you over night, a few days? I'm sorry I don't know these things - I'm always amazed at what they do these days on an outpatient basis! (it's wrong sometimes in my opinion!!)

I'll definitely be sending you lots and lots of positive thoughts your way for a safe surgery and speedy recovery!
    Let us know how your pre-op appt. goes.

TRY not to be nervous - just think of the relief that you will be once it's done!
  6. Peace77

Peace77 New Member

Funny you brought that up, I just found out today after an MRI arthergram that I have a completely torn tendon in my right shoulder rotator cuff. I'm afraid of having that surgery. Will I need more than ultram to deal with the pain. I've read it can take 6 months to heal. I'm really scared. Any advice.

Hermit, I'll pray for you, let me know how visit with surgeon goes. I see my surgeon Monday morning. I'll let you know what he says.

I've been avoiding this pain for 6 months in fear of this surgery. I can't believe the tendon is completely torn! I'm really bumped and scared.

I don't even know how I got it. I do walk my dog every night and even though he is only 30 lbs. I think that's how it happened.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
  7. tuba

tuba New Member

Hi hermitlady I love your icon playing the guitar. I only wish it were a tuba! Yes, I was in a flare up & had arthroscopic surgery on my L knee a month ago. Doc was aware of my fibro, flare-up & all of the meds that I take daily. NO problems at all with the anesthesia & my knee pain was gone the instant I woke up in the recovery room. I think I pushed myself too soon & had worse flare up problems the last 2 weeks. My advice--even though you start to feel better, DON'T push yourself when you start to feel better! Having fibro, I think we all push ourselves just to make it through a "normal" day. Baby yourself if you are able & your family situation allows. I am backtracking & trying to do that now. All the best!
    Your tuba friend
  8. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have been writing about this along the way. I have heard about the flare from anesthesia and never experienced it before.

I had the arthroscopy and had overall body pain for awhile afterwards where I couldn't raise up off the bed or the toilet.

I even caught the flu twice afterwards, which I don't normally get, and had a bacterial infection in my throat! My immune system had to recover is what was going on.

I think someone posted recently on here about a study that was done by Georgetown U., not sure who, and they have found reasons why we react.

Do a search on here and read more.

I am almost back to where I was before surgery, which was Feb. 15th. I still have pain in the neck and shoulder, but have always had it from the time I was diagnosed 20+ years ago.

We all are different. If you need the surgery, you really have no choice. I hope your doctor is up-to-date on the FMS.

Find the post and copy it and take it to the doctor.
  9. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

“The choice of anesthetic appears to be an important determinant of post-operative pain.” – Gerard Ahern, PhD, Georgetown University Dept. of Pharmacology

Washington, D.C. - The general anesthesia that puts patients into unconscious sleep so they do not feel surgical pain can increase the discomfort they feel once they wake up, say researchers from Georgetown University Medical Center. They say their findings, the first to scientifically explain what has been anecdotally observed in the clinic, may lead to wider use of the few anesthetics that don’t have this side effect, or to the development of new ones.

In the June 24 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)1 the scientists report that “noxious” anesthesia drugs - which most of these general anesthetics are - activate and then sensitize specific receptors on neurons in the peripheral nervous system. These are the sensory nerves in the inflammation and pain pathway that are not affected by general anesthesia drugs that target the central nervous system – the brain and the spinal cord.

“The choice of anesthetic appears to be an important determinant of post-operative pain,” says the study’s lead investigator, Gerard Ahern, PhD, an assistant professor in the Department of Pharmacology at Georgetown University Medical Center. “We hope these findings are ultimately helpful in providing more comfort to patients.”

It has long been known that general anesthetics cause irritation at the infusion site or in the airways when inhaled, Dr. Ahern says.

And investigators have also known that while they suppress the central nervous system, they can activate so called “pain-sensing” or nociceptive nerve cells on the peripheral nervous system.

In fact, anesthesiologists often first use a drug to suppress inflammation and pain before delivering the anesthesia to put the patient to sleep.

But what has not been understood is the specific mechanism by which anesthetics affect sensory neurons, or that they can continue to cause pain and inflammation even as they are being used during surgery, Dr. Ahern says.
    The Hypothesis

The researchers tested the hypothesis that two specific receptors on the nerve cells (TRPV1 and TRPA1) which are often expressed together and which also react to other irritants, such as garlic and wasabi, were the ones activated by the noxious drugs.

“Plants produce chemicals such as capsaicin, mustard and garlic that were meant to stop animals from eating them. When they are eaten, the two main receptors that react to them are TRPV1 and TRPA1,” Dr. Ahern says. In fact, TRPA1 is more commonly known as the mustard-oil receptor, and is a principal receptor in the pain pathway, he says.

The Findings

Experiments showed that general anesthetics appear to regulate TRPA1 in a direct fashion, and are thus responsible for the acute noxious effects of the drugs. Perhaps the strongest evidence is that mice bred without TRPA1 genes demonstrate no pain when the drugs are administered and used, Ahern says.

“Most general anesthetics activate the mustard oil receptor, and animals that don’t have the receptor don’t have irritation,” he says.

The research team also found that nerve-mediated inflammation was greater when pungent (chemical irritants) versus non-pungent inhaled general anesthetics were used.

The Implications

What both findings suggest is that sensory nerve stimulation throughout the body just before and during surgery adds to the pain that is felt after the patient is awake, Ahern says.

“This is a provocative finding in terms of the clinical setting, because it was not really recognized that use of these drugs results in release of lots of chemicals that recruit immune cells to the nerves, which causes more pain or inflammation.”

Some general anesthetics do not activate the mustard-oil receptor, but they may not be as effective in other ways, Ahern says. “This tells us that there is room for improvement in these drugs.”

The study was funded by National Institutes of Health and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Co-authors include José Matta, PhD, Paul Cornett, PhD, Rosa Miyares, BA, Ken Abe, PhD, and Niaz Sahibzada, PhD, from Georgetown University.
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Regarding the last post - I didn't realize you were asking about the pain possibly caused by anesthesia - is that what you're asking about??
    I thought you were wanting to make sure that since your body is used to medications that you have sufficient pain control during and after your surgery.
  11. landra

landra New Member

and someone posted an article that stressed that we need more magnesium and potasium than other people might. There was also an article about anesthesia which I showed to my doctor who said they were not using those types of anesthesia. I took more magnesium and potassium.

However, it caused a bad flare (CFS)
  12. landra

landra New Member

[Hit the wrong key]
    it caused a bad flare that was like the worst sinus infection/upper respiratory infection in my life!! I was sick for about two months.

I'll search for the anesthesia article and see if I can get it to you this weekend (the link or something).
  13. meowee

meowee New Member

hi hermitlady,
    Yes, I have had two surgerys and all went fine. Just let them know all your meds you are on. I have to say, that the days following the surgery I felt great as far as the FM. I guess it is the anesthesia, but it was a relief.

God bless and I am sure all will go well.
  14. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Thanks for all of your posts.

I'm mainly concerned overall due to the flare I'm in and whether the surgery will knock me down further. It is an outpatient surgery, the actual surgery should last a little over an hour. Total time in and out of the surgery center is 4-5 hrs.

The last time I had it done I was in a hospital until 6pm...they wouldn't let me leave until I could urinate. For some reason, the meds they gave me caused a problem down there and they had to insert a catheter. That was no fun!

As usual, sounds like everyone reacts differently to the anethetic. I will take some of this info w me to my appt Tues.

Thanks again......Hermit
  15. 7xgrammy

7xgrammy New Member

I'm sure you are apprehensive about your upcoming surgery. I have had 28 surgeries through every imaginable situation. Ask to speak to your anesthesiologist before your surgery. Take a list of all your meds and any current problems you are having. I found with my last 2 surgeries (hip replacement and knee replacement) that I did best with a local anesthesia so technically I was awake for both surgeries. In reality they give you so much stuff to relax you that you sleep through most of the surgery and don't remember a thing.

I've never had a problem with addictions to meds but I could stay pretty happy if I could start off each day with one of those shots. Just kidding!!!!!!

You'll be in the prayers of everyone on this board and God's hands. You'll never find a better team.

16. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Let us know how you do! Keep us posted on your recovery!
  17. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Lots of people beat me to it but yes, yes indeed, talk to the anesthesiologist...before you are in La La Land via the pre-op drugs if you are given any...and make sure he or she knows about the correct anesthesia for M E/Fibro people.

As with too many other substances, we can react very oddly to anesthetics.

Then too, there's the recent article about how anesthetics can actually let a body have MORE pain post-op than what's called "normal."

All this hyper-vigilance as to what might happen to us is wearing, that's for sure. But it seems we have to keep a close eye and ear on Dr's Plans because we can't presume he or she remembers all the quirks we can get.

18. stumped

stumped New Member

You have my support as well. I am sure you will be just fine and will chuckle about all the apprehension you had gone through. Its a fear and thank God for this site. Let us know how all turns out and I'll bet your in for a plaesant suprise. Your in my prayers......Rick
  19. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I was just thinking, has anyone had to discontinue any meds prior to surgery? I guess I'll find out from my doc tomorrow, but thought I'd ask you guys first.

20. poets

poets Member

Please try not to worry too much. I was in a nasty flare, when I fell and broke my back and had to have a spinal fusion. This was a year ago. It took them 3 1/2 hours and I was fully awake about 4 hours later.

I did fine. I had a spinal fusion back in 1993 before I was diagnosed with FM and I did much better this time around than I did then.

So please try not to worry too much. Sure we're all different, but not everyone has ill effects from the FM during surgery.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Gentle Hugs,