I'm Home From My Knee Surgery

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Jun 23, 2006.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Well, I'm home from my knee surgery!!!

Everything went fine. They repaired the damage to my damaged meniscus cartlidge which I tore when I fell out of my computer chair! It was damaged so much that he just couldn't just sew it back, he had to cut a lot of it away, then mend.

He said I also had a LOT of arthritis in it which he scraped away.

Along with a few other minor repairs, and he was done!

I have a pain block in it now that will last for 2-3 days, so that is why I feel so good! He also put a shot of cortizone in it, too.

I slept the rest of the day when I got home yesterday, and had to go back to the doc this morning at 8:45 am for him to check it.

I now go back in 2 weeks. Can't drive for 2 weeks either.

The only problem that I had was my extreme pain in my low back (from my pinched nerve and damaged disks) while laying on the hard cot waiting to go in. Also, when they put me on the surgery table, they told me they would give me something to help my back--whatever they were using for my sedation (I was not being put totally under). She had to give me about 3 or 4 times more than normal to get my back to a place where it was not hurting. Then POW! I was under and don't remember another thing!

I also found out that it is important to tell them if you have sleep apena. She sat the head of the operating table up a little so I could breathe better and gave me oxygen. She said it was a major factor for surgeons to know if you have sleep apena!

Well, I won't be able to stay on the computer long tonight, but maybe I can get caught up on reading posts over the weekend!!!

Love,
    Janet
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

They think that's the problem with my knee.Not as severe as yours though.Anyway,have a restful weekend.Linda
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hope you will heal quickly and that once the pain block ends you won't be in too much pain.

I had a hard time finding this thread earlier for some reason. Then when I came back there it was. lol

Feel better, glad you are home, safely.

Love,
    Faye
  4. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Good to hear , all went well! Get lots of rest, take it easy, heal fast!
    Hugz, Karen
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm glad the surgery went well for you.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if even just this one part of your body decided not to cause pain anymore??

I hope you stay pain free for as long as the surgery drugs can help you!

Nancy
  6. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

I am so glad to hear everything went well for you. Now you just need to recover and take it easy.

Great info you passed on about the sleep apena.

Sleep tight
    Granny
  7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

Glad you're home safe and sound. Hope you have a swift recovery but I'm sure it's going to be painful for you. Take it easy and do what the doc says!

Hugz,
    Tona
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'm so glad it went well. Isn't it such a relief to have things like that OVER?

Marta
  9. tonakay

tonakay New Member

10. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

So glad to hear you got home and through your surgery well!

I have a torn meniscus too, but it's inoperable.
    I said, oh great....I get to live with MORE pain!! LOL

Just wishing you a healthy recovery and praying you're up and around in no time!

love & hugs,
    C-mom
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

Even though the numbing is starting to wear off in my knee, it still feels better than it did before the surgery!!

In the pictures that he showed me, the arthritis looks like really ragged edges all around the joint--like a bunch of icicles hanging down from a hillside!. After he "scraped" it all out (as he stated that he did), the edges looked smooth.

C-mom: I hate to hear that your knee is inoperable. I certainly would not want to walk on a knee that painful forever! Ugh!

Donnaeil: I have taken the water classes before--I'll have to check into water therapy this time, too -- first, I'll have to see if my swimsuit still fits!! LOL

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind words.

Love,
    Janet
  12. kriket

kriket New Member

and everything went well. Hope that your knee continues to improve and the pain goes away.

Kriket
  13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

w/ your recovery. I'm sure you'll be back on your skateboard in no time.
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Good luck. I had mibne done both knees in 1984 and they have been good as great except for a bit of arthritis in right knee ever since. I was told at the time it would last maybe ten years, so 22 years later....

Good info re the apnea.

Love Anne Crom