Im impressed...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monicaz49, Sep 15, 2006.

1. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

Although nothing is happening in my area (silicon valley), its amazing to hear whats going on elsewhere! Especially the last one, which is a seminar in sacramento on CFS...how great its being acknowledged....
    Although.....why dont my docs acknowledge it????

09/17/2006
    National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week is Sept. 11-17

National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week is Sept. 11-17
    This major public awareness campaign, held every year in September, is sponsored by HopeKeepers Magazine, a consumer publication that offers spiritual encouragement for those who live with chronic illness or pain. The theme of this year’s campaign is “My Illness is Invisible But My Hope Shines Through.” The objective is for individuals and organizations to spread the word about the impact of living with a chronic illness that is not visually apparent – while also communicating a message of hope. Target audiences include our churches and other groups, healthcare professionals, the general public, and government officials. The campaign Web site, at www.mychronicillness.com/invisibleillness/home.htm, offers copy and paste messages you can send to friends and e-mail groups, and other Web-based outreach suggestions. Also available are downloadable flyers, brochures, small posters and “post cards” that you can print out for distribution to church groups, families, and other contacts.

Additionally, the campaign site will run 20 chat seminars the week of September 11-17. Just a few of the listed topics will be:

n “Cereal for Dinner (Living with Fatigue as a Mom)”

n “Stigma Challenges of Living with Chronic Illness”

n “Why effective listening – by doctors, family, friends, employers, and patients themselves – has a huge impact on how well the person with the illness and their families come to terms with chronic illness”

n “Should I spend money on this? Helpful principles for evaluating that new remedy you’ve been hearing about (by a doctor)”

09/30/2006
    FMAH Piecing Together A World With Hope Conference

Join the Fibromyalgia Association of Houston for the largest Fibromyalgia conference held in the Houston area. The FMAH is working very hard to be sure this is a great educational and interesting day for all FM patients, families and friends. The theme of the conference is based on the FM logo.
    MASTER OF CEREMONIES
    Dr. Richard Rubin, rheumatologist and FMAH medical director

SESSIONS

Research: Patrick Wood, M.D.

Our keynote speaker is Patrick Wood, M.D., an internationally known and well-respected doctor and researcher in the field of FM. He is completing a study in Canada, and we will be the first to hear the results.

Wood has also produced a new patient video, “Show Me Where It Hurts,” which will make its Houston premier at the conference. A question and answer period will follow.

Vision: Lynne Matallana

We are so pleased to have Lynne Matallana come and speak. Matallana is the president of the National Fibromyalgia Association, founder of FM Aware magazine, and author of the new book The Complete Idiots Guide to Fibromyalgia. The FMAH is proudly selling the book at a discount for only $19 when purchased at the conference or at regular meetings. The author will be available to autograph books during the conference.

Support: Mary Harper Mary Harper, president of FMAH, will discuss how support groups can educate patients and families about this painful syndrome.

Education:

Movement Video – FMAH is making a movement video for you to use at home. The film will show easy ways to add stretching and movement into your day.

Alternative Ways to Treat Pain – Daniel Kirsch, Ph.D., will be doing an interesting presentation regarding electrical stimulation and the decrease in pain. A question-and-answer period will follow his presentation. We are working to get many vendors with products that will be of interest to FM patients.

For complete information about the conference and registration information please go to

www.fmah.org/conferenceinfo.html

10/28/2006
    KNOW MORE - Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coming To Your Area !!

Save the Date
    KNOW MORE
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Coming to Your Area!

On Saturday, October 28, 2006, the CFIDS Association of America will sponsor a half-day education seminar for CFS patients, family members and health care providers in the Ose Community Room at KVIE-TV in Sacramento, California.

Featured speakers are:
    Charles Lapp, MD
    Hunter-Hopkins Center
    Charlotte, North Carolina

and
    Leonard Jason, PhD
    DePaul University
    Chicago, Illinois

For a brochure with full details contact:
    The CFIDS Association of America
    PO Box 220398
    Charlotte, NC 28222-0398
    (704) 364-0466

2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

It is great that these diseases are getting more attention. I have voluntereed at The Ntional Fibromyalgia Association and have meet Lynne Matallana, she is a very nice person and has worked very hard to help all of us and herself find treatments and information. Hopefully in the near future we can again have a life.