I'm in a Clinical Trial For Neck Pain - And I think it's working!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RPieri, Oct 7, 2002.

1. RPieri

RPieri New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a clinical study on neck pain, comparing accupunture to accupunture combined with electric stimulation. (I'm in the group that's getting both.) It's an 8 week study, and I've been through the first two weeks. The first week I went it only worked for about a day and a half - I was so upset when the pain came back. I don't know about you guys - but I'd rather be in pain all of the time then go back and forth. I can deal with it if it's constant, I can't deal when it goes away and then comes back! Last week was week two and so far I only have very slight pain back. They told me that it's a cumulative effect (i.e. each week's treatment will last longer) All I can tell you is I'm :) about it so far!

I've never tried accupunture before, so I don't know if I would have gotten the same effects from accupunture alone. I do know that I don't want the trial to end. (Partially because it's helping and partially because they're planning on giving me trigger point injections when it's done - and they scare me!!!!) I've never had them before - and they thought of a needle going into a spot that KILLS when someone touches it - well - it just doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway - just figured I'd give you all the scoop. It's been a while since I've been here.

Robin
  2. RPieri

RPieri New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm in a clinical study on neck pain, comparing accupunture to accupunture combined with electric stimulation. (I'm in the group that's getting both.) It's an 8 week study, and I've been through the first two weeks. The first week I went it only worked for about a day and a half - I was so upset when the pain came back. I don't know about you guys - but I'd rather be in pain all of the time then go back and forth. I can deal with it if it's constant, I can't deal when it goes away and then comes back! Last week was week two and so far I only have very slight pain back. They told me that it's a cumulative effect (i.e. each week's treatment will last longer) All I can tell you is I'm :) about it so far!

I've never tried accupunture before, so I don't know if I would have gotten the same effects from accupunture alone. I do know that I don't want the trial to end. (Partially because it's helping and partially because they're planning on giving me trigger point injections when it's done - and they scare me!!!!) I've never had them before - and they thought of a needle going into a spot that KILLS when someone touches it - well - it just doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway - just figured I'd give you all the scoop. It's been a while since I've been here.

Robin
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Good for you! I have read about a study just like yours, in which the double trtmt. you're having was judged far superior to needles alone. I had the needles alone for 22 sessions a long time ago, and the pain relief never lasted more than 45 mins. after the session, so I quit. I'm with you, having hope, only to get the rug pulled out from under me is worse than no hope at all. I've had trigger point injections, and they should not hurt at all if done correctly. The doctor should put a deadening agent like lidocaine in the front of the syringe, ahead of the steroid, because steroids always hurt as they go in. Sometimes they just use the deadening agent (this is safer for your health, but doesn't last as long). Sometimes they just use a needle with nothing in it, and that actually seems to work for some people! The pain you are feeling right now is probably a whole lot worse than the injections, and the injections have an end to them, unlike the FMS pain, so try not to worry.
    Please keep us posted on your progress. I hope you continue to get relief.
    Klutzo
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi Robin,
    I have never had acupuncture, but I have had the trigger point injections several times. The needle is tiny & you won't feel it. You will get a tiny stinging sensation from the lidocaine for just a few seconds, but then it numbs the nerve. I GOT NEARLY 4 MONTHS relief from mine. It is worth it.
    Hope it wworks for you,
    Kathryn
  5. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I'm not in a trial but I am taking a course of acupuncture and electrical stim along with it and it has really* helped me alot! in fact I get so sleepy during my treatments I cannot hold my eyes open and its the only time I get a nap!!! I love this treatment but wonder what the long term will be... I hope it lasts a while cause I'm having great luck!!!!! Good luck to you dear!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for letting us know about this. What kind of electrical stimulation are you getting? Is it the TENS Pro 900? Please keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  7. Darla5010

Darla5010 New Member

I've had several trigger pt. inj. and they all hurt like -----! None ever lasted more than a week. So I stopped getting them. I also have had several epidural injections (steroid) in lower back and one lasted almost a year and all the others only lasted no more than 2 weeks. So no more of that ordeal pain either. Hope you have luck with them.
    I have a Tens unit and it feels good while it's on, but doesn't last long. I have numerous other problems than FM, so maybe that's why I don't have luck with all this. I have serious cervical and back problems. It'll be interesting to see how it all ends up. Let us know.
    Darla

[ advertisement ]