I'm in excruciating Pain please help me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsOnlyMe123, Oct 7, 2006.

1. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

About 2 weeks ago, I had terrible pain at my right front rib area. I've had fractured ribs before but I know what it was from. This just came out of the blue.

After reading many post on this board, I realized I have Costochondrtis. It's been moving through the area and now soooo PAINFUL on the left rib area. When I saw my Pain Management Doctor yesterday, with his assistant in the room (a women) I picked up my bra a little and showed them it was all black and blue and purple. He said he couldn't help me and to go to my Primary Doctor, which I do have an appointment with on Monday. I didn't ask for any more pain medication of stronger, I have enough for my Fibro and others, I just wanted him to see how much pain I was in and to suggest something that would help me. Take less of this and more of that, or something.

While writing out my scripts, we were very quite and the receptionist was miserable towards meas usual, while taking my $150 for the visit. Yes, $150 each month to see him. No insurance is taken at their office.

Besides all the bad stuff from the office, please tell me what good things I can do to help with this excruciating pain. I'm by myself and trying to take care of myself, which I just cannot do. A few more days till I see my Primary, which just kills me to drive, walk and even breath. I almost called an ambulance today, but my house is such a disaster, I just won't let anyone here and I just can't clean it up.
    Please help me!

Eileen

2. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Sorry you are feeling so bad, if you really need help, don't let your house stop you, although i know the feeling, sometimes my house is that bad too.

Rest, as much as you can drink lots of water, and try a heating pad.

Wish i was more help that that.

Extremely gentle hugs, and prayers,

Misty
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm so sorry you are in so much pain! It you are certain it's Costochondritis, my daughter gets it but not as bad. However, Ibuprofen or Aleve, if your stomach can handle them, do help a lot, because they are anti-inflammatories, and with Costochondritis, it's the inflammation that's causing the pain. Take it religiously every 4 hours; my doctor says that a steady amount over time will help inflammation, as long as you don't have stomach problems.

Pain meds like Vicodin may temporarily alleviate pain, which can make you feel better, but because it has acetominophen (Tylenol) in it rather than ibuprofen, it won't do anything to relieve the inflammation.

I might try an ice pack, if you can tolerate it, too---20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. That helps inflammation also. A heating pad might feel good, but I think it might make the inflammation worse.

I certainly hope this gets better for you! When you see your primary doc, ask if there's a stronger, prescription med you can take to reduce inflammation---I wonder if a short course of steroids, again if your body can tolerate them (I myself do fine with them on a very short, temporary basis) would help? Usually does a LOT of good for inflammation....ask your doc!

(((Gentle Hugs)))
    Pam
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

This has always been very confusing, and i've had different chiroprater say different things to me about wether to use heat or ice.

I thing every situation is different. I respond better to heat on a whole because my muscles are so restricted it helps the blood flow into them.

I had a Dr. finally give me a good explanation. He said to give both a try, infact alternating back and forth is sometimes very effective, but that's not my point.

This Dr. told me to try one or the other, and the key to tell if it's working is not if it feel good, or better while on, but to wait 20 minutes after you've applied it.

If it's the wrong one, heat or ice, in 20 min. it will usally hurt worse than before, not better.

Well i hope that helps and isn't too confusing.

P.s. Pam_d advice sound good.[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2006]
  5. petsrme

petsrme Member

Ms, I am so sorry you are having such a bad time. I would like to ask you why this doctor doesn't take insurance. I know it is a dumb question, but can you find one who does? It just seems very dismal that they don't accept it. Does that attest to their practice and if it does, they may not be reputable. I pray your PCP can help you and give you more comfort. Let us know what happens.
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

WHAT black and blue and purple? I have had bad costo and never ever had a bruise!

Nanjee, have you?

This doesn't sound like just costo to me....

Make sure your PCP sees this; some meds can cause this I think...

Rest a lot, eileen, and who give a sh-- what the EMS sees? Your life if far more important than anything!!!

Keep us informed...I'm really worried about those "bruises"!!!
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

cold reduces the inflamation and heat gets the bood flowing in that area.Linda
  8. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

costo is from inflamation.. shouldn't cause bruises.

Anyway.. mine was horrible too until I started to see a chiro. She would adjust me and massage the area with a percussor. After awhile I realized that it was much much better. It still hurts, but I'd say I went from a 10 to a 3 or so.

HTH
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Eileen:

Pain meds? I can only hope.
    A rheumatologist: a possibilty.

I wish you the best. I know you are at your worst now and I hope and pray you get good tender loving care.

i will be rooting for you!

nyrofan
  10. wkirk87

wkirk87 New Member

I'm not sure if I can help because I don't know anything about Costochondritis, but you said you have both that and Fibro (maybe also CFS) in your post and weren't completely clear about which you were asking for help with (don't worry, I'm not at all upset! I totally understand how hard it is to do stuff when you're in pain). Anywhoo, here's a copy-paste of a post of mine for CFS/FM. Feel free to skip it entirely if you were just asking for help with Costochondritis!:

"For the Fibro Pain, by far the most effective treatment is something called Pressure Point Massage. No matter what you must find someone near you that can do this for you on a regular basis or learn how to do this yourself!! (I guess this site, I don't have FM but my Accupuncturist/Pressure Point Massagist does)

For the fatigue/sleep deprivation of the CFIDS, try the Pressure Point Massage along with some sort of relaxation/inner-peace techniques (I know it's hard though) such as meditation, massage, etc.

For the depleted immune system of the CFIDS, take a good Multivitamin once a day and I also recommend something called Septilin (I'll bet you can find it at this site, or if not google). Otherwise, wash your hands a lot and avoid contagiously-sick people.

For the depression of all of this, (I know it's hard though) try to find some redeeming quality of life or reason to live.

Good luck!!

EDIT:

I just found this. Credit goes to HayleyCole for posting this, and whomever made the original post that HayleyCole was quoting in it(?). It's explaining the Pressure Point/Trigger Point Massage (chances are I have the wrong name and it's called Trigger Point Massage!):

"Hi peacebaby:

Here's a copy of one of my standard posts on myofascial pain.

I can't tell you what a huge difference learning
    trigger point massage has made in my life!!! I'm able to control the pain 90% of the time without pain meds. I truly believe in my case 95% of my pain is/was myofascial.
    It sounds like you have chronic myofascial pain syndrome going on.

If you aren't familiar with it, it's where the muscles get knots in them that refer pain to other areas of the body. The knots are called trigger points and have to be deactivated with massage.

I used to have soooo much pain in my legs I couldn't sleep. My feet burned, my Achilles tendons throbbed, had a dull ache in my calves, back of my knees burned, and stabbing pain through my thighs. And that's just the pain in my legs!!! Once I learned trigger point massage, and started doing it, I've been able to keep the trigger points under control and the pain is pretty much gone.

Look for The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies along with either a percussion massager [two-headed], massage balls, Thera-Cane or something similar. I find the percussion massager the easiest as I don't have to worry about finding specific muscles, if it hurts, I massage it.

True confessions: did have to take half a Flexeril last night as I managed to activate every TP from my ribs on down the other day when I tried a new 'move' on the rebounded. They just weren't going to give up the ghost. Did work them half to death before bed, so between that and the Flexeril, am feeling fine today. Won't be trying that move again!!!

If you're interested in reading more, check out my profile.

hope this helps.
    hayley""
  11. MsOnlyMe123

MsOnlyMe123 New Member

Ladies, thank you so very much in trying to help me with this new horrifying pain. I could'nt figure out why my ribs (area) has been killing me. I starting reading about Costo. and Tietze syndrom very recently on this board. This all came together for me. The pain started on the right hand side and has moved oh so slowly into the left side. The pain is still on the right side and in between the rib cage, breasts. know horrifying pain on the left side. Right underneath the breast, all along from side to side is black, blue and purple. My chest is also very painful.

Believe me, having Fibro and bunches of these DD I know pain, (even oh so many flares, but nothing like this).

The doc. will also see both my feet and ankles so swollen and my left leg looks like an elephent leg its so swellon.

Have appointment with Primary today (Monday - late afternoon). I just have to make it there no matter what. I have no one to help me, I know people that could, but I havn't heard from any of my so called "friends" in several weeks and that is a whole nother story.

Will check in.

Thank you everyone for your responses and well wishes.

Eileen

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2006]
  12. findmind

findmind New Member

Did you see dr. today? What did he say? I'm especially concerned about the bruising and the swollen lower limbs!

I pray you made it to dr. by yourself and know we all wish we were there to take you ourselves...two people watching the white lines go by helps, lOL!

Know you are probably exhausted, but hope you check in today or tomorrow, or if you are hospitalized, let us know as soon as you get home, ok?

We care...
    findmind
  13. Neicee99

Neicee99 New Member

I feel for you honey. I suffered from costochondritis for 4 years before there was a diagnosis. I started with prednisone, aleve, etc, but nothing seemed to help. I took the advice of a friend and I went to see an Osteopathic Doctor. After just 2 visits, the pain absolutely vanished. I am not kidding you. I don't know if you are familiar with a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine but I was kind of hesitant to go but it was the best thing I ever did. I highly recommend it. It has been over 1.5 years and no occurring episodes at all to report. I know how painful it can be to the point of not being able to sit, stand, or anything just about.

Good luck and I hope you check it out.

Hugs
    Neicee (NH)
  14. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

There are safer, natural anti-inflammatories to take besides ibufren. I use ProEnzyme P, which I order from here. It works as well as ibuprofen and cleans out your system while it gets to sight of inflammation.

You can also try arnica gel or Traumeel cream to apply topically. Its shorter acting, but immediate relief.

I have no experience w/ your type of pain. I've said a prayer for you though, as I've been where you are. Alone, in my disaster home that I was too sick and painful to clean, barely able to care for myself, but had to do it anyway. I had friends to come and help in whatever way they could, I wasn't afraid to speak up, it was survival. I hoped and fantasized for a day when it would be better, and eventually it was.

jeanne