I'm In Pumpkin Heaven!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For at least two years, I've been looking for a muffin tin which makes little half pumpkins. One which makes little bundt-shaped muffins works too. I found one which makes 12 of the bundt-shaped ones but they are really too small. In a magazine, they used them to make pumpkin bread. They iced in between the halves to make little round pumpkins. They colored the icing beige; I would make coffee icing. They drizzled it over the little pumpkins. Then, they took caramel candy and kneaded it until they could shape it into stems and leaves for the top. They were ADORABLE! I became obsessed with finding the muffin tin.

I found a loaf pan which produces a pumpkin design on the top of the loaf or cake. It was a bit pricey but well made of cast metal so I bought it. The next store I went into had the muffin tin. I bought it even though it was also pricey. Now, I can take the loaf pan back but it's really so beautiful and old-world looking that I hate to part with it. On the other hand, how often does one need baked goods with a pumpkin motif? I'll probably end up keeping both. Half of the little pumpkin muffin compartments have a leaf design for the top so one doesn't even have to make the stems and leaves.

I told my kinds that when I die, my estate won't have a lot of jewels but that they can fight over my pizzelle irons and bakeware.

Oh, to find something one has been seeking for sooooo long feels like a small miracle. So much for getting rid of belongings and simplifying my life :) I'll just have to compensate by getting rid of some things I no longer need nor want.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have several of the hand irons in various designs. My favorite one has a fluted edge and makes beautiful pizzelles. Using the hand irons on the stove is back breaking and uses a lot of electricity. The electric irons, on the other hand, don't make the little waffles as thin, like I like 'em. The old hand irons are highly desirable now and someone would probably like to have yours. It seems a shame to scrap it for the metal.

Love, Mikie
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Is this pumpkin heaven or pumpkin mania? SOL How about giving your
    concoctions a little textural interest? You can add pepitas (pumpkin seeds).
    But they must be Mexican pumpkins or squash because they don't look like
    regular pumpkin seeds to me.

Here in LA, pepitas have gotten pretty expensive. $6 a pound at Trader Joe's,
    and I ended up taking them back because they were stale. I guess you could
    substitute sunflower seeds, but then you'd lose the pumpkin motif.

Are you going to use orange food dye?

Do your kids live nearby? They won't be able to get on a plane carrying those
    pizzelle irons?

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Well, it may actually be pumpkin mania. Are the pepitas flavored? I'm not a big fan of pumpkin seeds themselves. Since the design is in the pans, it will be in bas relief on the loaf or muffins.

Since I got sick on Tues. with whatever virus has been after me, my brain has been scrambled. When I bought those pans, I didn't have coupons with me. So, I got another today with the coupon. I'll take it back with the original receipt. While I'm there, I'll use another coupon to buy the loaf pan and return one of them to the other store where I got it. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to come home and get coupons yesterday but I was barely functioning. Sometimes, when I take the time to figure out just how fogged I am, I think I probably shouldn't be out driving. My driving seems fine, though. I'm just not operating on all my cylinders, so to speak.

I stopped in to see my Mom's best friend at the nursing home. She has Alzheimers. It always takes her a bit to place me but then she remembers how much we love one another. With as fogged as I've been, we are about on par mentally. She really does well. She is on Aricept and it has made a big difference. She's a really sweet little lady with a wonderful sense of humor. Today is my Mom's birthday and I miss her so much. So does her friend and when we get together, we always talk about her. My Mom and her friend were like sisters.

Now, I'm home and ready for a nap. Still no energy. Oh well, I have my pumpkin bakeware so life is good :)

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry you are having a hard time kicking this virus to the curb. "Iffy" exactly describes how I feel off and on. The stomach issues and chest congestion come and go. Just when I think it's over, I get that iffy feeling and sure 'nuff, the symptoms return. I'm not what I consider sick but I'm not over it completely either. From what I've heard from others and my daughter up in Atlanta, this seems to be how this virus operates.

I hope you are feeling better too. Hugs and prayers coming your way.

Love, Mikie