I'm in terrible pain... please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Countrymom, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

My upper back shoulders and neck are killing me. I can't turn my head without severe pain. I don't have any pain killers so I just took tylenol(I am allergic to motrin) and a hot hot shower and it has helped some but I need advice on what else I can do.

Please....

Thanks,
    Dani
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Dani,
    I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Neck and shoulder pain can be maddening!

It sounds like you need to see a good Chiropractor. My neck and shoulder pain has been greatly relieved by mine.

First he took X-rays, and did a back scan,and then he adjusted my back with a thing that loked like a gun with a magnet on it, and then I got one more kind of therapy. He did no twisting on me, because of the condition of my back. I have spinal stenosis at my neck.

I feel ever so much better. Just be careful in choosing your Chiro.

Good luck,
    Terry
  3. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

My heart goes out to you. The upper shoulders is where I have my worse pain.

Things that I've done in the past and still do are:
    heating pad
    ice packs
    rubbing on icy hot or such

rolling around on a tennis ball till I hit the bumps and then putting pressure on them
    gentle streching

gentle massage or deep massage whichever works
    Most of these I know only last for a bit of time.

I've gone to ER also to get pain medication or muscle relaxers when I couldn't stand it anymore.
    I hope that some of these ideas will help you.
    I will say a prayer that you find releif.
    I know how desperate it feels to find something, anything to help the pain.
    Take care, Twinkles
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

muscle relaxers? Those help me. Also, cold on my neck and then hot helps. My back, neck, arms hurt each day especially at the end. I usually take a Vicodin and a muscle relaxer at the end of the day, along with the cold and the heat. It helps.

I hope you feel better because it is so hard to deal with this pain. Can you get in touch of your doctor?

Each of us has a different idea of what helps so I hope you get plenty of response so you can find something that works.I'm going to check back and see what comes up! I can always use a good idea!

Take care, dear lady.

Sue
  5. fibrofirend44

fibrofirend44 New Member

Sorry to hear you too have that dreadful pain....it can really make a good day go bad...but I want to tell you that I got a heating pad from Bed, Bath and Beyond..it was like ten or eleven dollars....I just love it to death...it covers my shoulders completely, plus it smells really good too. You have to put it in the microwave for a couple of minites. I am trying not to take too many meds, but when I can no more, I take ultracet which is what the doctor prescribed for me. Tylenol helps me too....but heating pad is the best of them all. take care and hope my words help some. (I am not a medical person...just a fibro sufferer like you) hugs to you.

your fibro friend....aq
  6. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

Thanks Thanks for all of your kind words and advice. My doctor is out of town and his partner won't do anything for me. I am going to try a heating pad tonight. Tomorrow afternoon I can go to the pharmacy and see what the pharmacist might recommend.

It helps to know I am not alone with this pain bit it breaks my heart to know others suffer like this as well.

(((HUGS))) to all,
    Dani
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

He gave me adjustments and it helped somewhat but finally had to stop them because I think they were contributing to the FM pain.

What I did afterwards was to use moist heat for a couple of days to help heal my back. I have a heating pad that you can insert a damp cloth and lay on it. It's pretty messy because you get wet but it really helped relieve the pain.
  8. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

My worst pain comes from my behind my left shoulder and the pain goes up my jaw and into my head.

I have started getting a massage. I get my back, shoulders neck face and head done.

An Indian Head Massage where you get shoulders, neck face and head massaged with oils should help you.

I also use Bio Freeze Roll On and it gives me great relief.

You can buy it in most Drug Stores. I woiuldnt be without it and took it on holiday with me.

Mary
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Also, physical therapy can help if the therapist knows which kinds of stretching and flexing exercises to teach you.

Sometimes icing the painful spots helps more than the heat. After icing, one can switch to heat.

If you have ongoing FMS pain, I highly recommend the Guaifenesin treatment. If you go to www.guaidoc.com, you can learn more about it. If you decide to try it, you will need to get the book first and read it through. There are some of us here who have had wonderful results with the Guai, which is a very benign substance with almost no side effects.

I hope your pain subsides.

Love, Mikie
  10. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

I took a muscle relaxer and tylenol last night then laid on my heating pad. I was able to sleep well, but woke up with changing position. I feel somewhat better today although I know my pain will come full force any time now.I have to skip my bible study this morning because I won't be able to get my 2 and 3 year olds in and out of their carseats without pain. I will wait until my husband is home this afternoon and then go in search of some things at the pharmacy.

Thanks for the support, that has helped my spirit more than anything!

Dani
  11. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have had this awful pain too.Been to the er to get help.It is awful, so sorry you are hurting too.Heating pad,icy hot and these new pain patches called lidocaine are helping.Good luck Dani.
    Sheila
  12. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I'm positive that getting my grandson into the carseat is what triggered this whole gigantic pain episode for me.

That lifting and twisting while leaning over to hook them up is what's giving you all that pain. I think you definitely need to look for a chiro that does very gentle adjustments to get you back into place.
  13. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Hi Dani, I'm in the same shape this morning (isn't it awful?) so I'm wearing my trusty neck brace. I've used most of the above methods and also a TENS unit (helps a bit) but what helps the most is the neckbrace. Good health, Anne Theresa