I'm in the money!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by barbinindiana, Sep 8, 2006.

1. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Hi Everyone:) Just had to share, I got my SSD backpay check today! Oh what a wonderful feeling.

My best friend came to pick me up to take me out for lunch. Her treat. She's been doing that about once a month for over two years, because I didn't have the money to pay for meals out. She's really been sweet to me.

Anyway, I just got my check in the mail a few minutes before she got here. So I took us out for steak dinners. It felt so good to be able to pick up the tab for both of us.

I've been so tired of being poor, and feeling like a bum.

I didn't know until today that you don't get a check stub showing how much was taken out for taxes. Anyone here know anything about this. What do I do to find out about that? Call the SS office?

Well, I'm on cloud 9. So very very happy, and grateful that things have really turned around for me.

I hope everyone here that is trying for SSD will get it.

Barb

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

But I don't think you owe any taxes on the SSD. My sister is disabled and I'm pretty sure she gets her whole check minus some money they take for Medicare.

By the way, CONGRATS to you!!!

TERRY
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Congratulations, Barb!

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

I am so happy for you Barb. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take you to get approved for SSD? I am in the beginning stages. Just filed on August 3, 2006.

Isn't it great to have a friend like that. I have a best friend who does the same for me and treats me to the movies too. She will also pay for my daughters also. Who is 11 if she is at home.

Angie
  5. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

I wish it was ME..........
    I'm BROKE!!!!!!!!

GLAD YOU GOT IT,
    WAITING IN GEORGIA,
    Cathy
  6. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Thanks Angie, Terry, and Pam!

Angie it took 2 1/2 years from the time I applied until my hearing, and 7 1/2 weeks after the hearing until I got the back pay check.

I hope it doesn't take that long for you. I understand that it's different in diferent states.

Barb
  7. janeellen45

janeellen45 New Member

Great for you Barb!
    I can only imagine the relief you must feel.Sometimes SS can be a long difficult battle.I applied in 8-04.Was denied..got a lawyer and was denied again.I am waiting for my day in front of a judge.I have heard of people waiting
    for over 2 yrs.Then some approved within 6 months.It can be a devastation waiting as I am now...I feel like a financial burden on my family.Being unable to work and seeing things I want to get my kids and can't.
    You are fortunate to have a friend that stuck by you...Jane
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I very happy for you
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i started crying the first time i got a check...

don't tell your friends...learn from my experience...

don't lend.

jodie.
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Think Jodie has some good advice.
  11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That happened to me back in February of this year. Doesn't it feel gooooooood?

Let's hope more people with Fibro and CFS who are disabled get the disability that is their due.

Kholmes
  12. keke466

keke466 New Member

So glad you got it. I'm fixing to fill my papers out and get them in. Not looking forward to the long wait.

Keke
  13. suzetal

suzetal New Member

So happy for you.And yes what a relief I remember when I got mine it was GREAT.

They do NOT take taxes out so you might want to put some a side .It depends on your income whether or not you have to pay taxes.

My husbands income was to much so they say (we still have a hard time making ends meet)we had to pay taxes on what I got.I also will have to pay taxes every year due to his pension .Its OK though I'm happy to have the extra.

Hugs
    Sue
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Isn't that just the best feeling? I'm so happy for you.

Love, Mikie
  15. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

Congratulations, Barb! This gives hope to the rest of us who are in different places on the SSDI journey.

--wordbyrd
  16. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

Congradulations!!!!!!

You do not pay taxes on SSI!!!!!!

Love Ya! Me
  17. Noahvale

Noahvale New Member

Just wanted to wish you the best, and let you know that I am happy for you..I don't beleve that taxes are taken out of SSID..It is tax free..if that is your only income you shouldn't even have to file for taxes. I know because my brother is on SSID since he was 18 and he has never filed because he is single and on his own. All states may vary..I am in wisconsin so who knows.

God Bless you and ENJOY!! You deserve it Hun!

Noahvale--Kathy
  18. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Congrats Indiana Barb! :) Couldn't be happier for you. I bet that steak tasted extra good! Lynda (who grew up in South Bend)
  19. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm so happy for you! Your tenacity payed off but I'm
    sorry it had to take so long to work thru the system!!
    Jodie and the Rock gave you some good advise about keep-
    things candid. Even your family need not know anything
    other than you got accepted by SSA!

Don't worry about me asking to borrow any money from you.
    When ever I need any, I just hit up Rocky or Jodie and
    never have a problem there. Jodie, however, is pretty
    tight about lending me her vacuum most times.

Anyway, happy 4 ya and the Shirley Temple's and Buck
    Roger drinks and on you tonite!

Mum's the word!!
    MRDAD
  20. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Thanks to everyone that replied to this post. It's so good to know that others can rejoice with me in my good fortune.

You guys are the best!

Barb