I'm kinda nervous about my appt. tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kacjac, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

A couple of months ago, I switched Dr.s, now I have an appt. with my original PCP, some of you probably think I'm nuts, for going back to him, but the fact is I miss him, and liked the fact I had, had him for 12 yrs.also. I got upset with him, because he had started sorta dismissing my issues and complaints. He is a very smart Dr. and caring, he once went to the Hosp. and stayed all night without being on duty, to monitor a pt.and make sure they would be okay. He is my husband doc too, and as always been very warm, and understanding.
    But when I mentioned FMS, he doesn't buy it, when I said I was not optimal on my thyroid meds, because of symptoms, he said I was, and my labs were good, well ya know......I AM MORE than a lab value!!!!! When I complained about my weight, and watching what I eat, he said, anyone can "watch" what they eat.etc.etc. Well, I decided to go hash this out with him tomorrow. So wish me luck or say a prayer....my appt. at 11am.
    ~Karen~
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

believe you are "nuts" for going back to him, but I think you are either desparate, or hardup, or in an area where proper medical attention does not exist, for you to go back to him. What does he have to offer you when he doesn't believe you are fighting a difficult illness, when he belittles your problems and in essence blames you for them--that you aren't woman enough to watch your weight, rather than accept the clinical signs that you may have a thyroid problem despite "normal" range test results. Many docs who truly treat fibro don't accept the range for results as being helpful.

Aren't there any docs in your area who know something about this illness? I wonder if you aren't just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I am sorry for being so hard on you. We are all in this together. It is just that I have been to rotten, ignorant, arrogant docs who don't have a clue, and now I have a wonderful, intelligent, educated doc. The difference in my treatment is amazing. The difference in how I am treated by the doc is amazing--from disdain and disgust to validation and compassion. From a doc who thought it was all in my head, to one who is actually helping me to recover. YOU DESERVE THE LATTER! Don't settle for less. What good is a nice, compassionate guy who doesn't believe you or know what treatment to provide?

I hope the best for you. I hope I don't sound angry with you. I am angry with docs who don't help and who waste our time. Blessings to you. Jen102
  3. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Yes, I am desperate.....
    No, I don't think you sound angry with me.....
    Yes, I do agree with what you said....
    Yes, there are great Dr.s in the area, but "I" am the one who hasn't had much luck.....
    Just like the recent Rhuemy I went to, he thinks if I just get to streching, exercizing, and taking my Zoloft without fail, I'll be a-okay!
    Sorry if I sound frustrated...I am!!!!!
    Thanks for replying, it means alot!HUGZ......
    ~Karen~
  4. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

with all the love and compassion that you can imagine, I will add this. You are desparate. Your docs are making you think it is all you, rather than that you have a difficult, life-changing illness. It isn't that you aren't stretching enough, or that your mental health isn't stable or strong. It is that you are sick, and you need proper medical attention. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Can you check Jacob Teitelbaum's website and see if there are some docs in your area who have taken his training? Can you check the American Academy or Alternative Practicioners? (Hope I have that right.) I have found very little help from traditional medicine. The slightly alternative docs--MD's or DO's who are educated, intelligent, and up-to-date on their training, are the ones who have helped me.

I hope you can find someone who lifts you up instead of putting you down. Jen102
  5. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I will check it out, and I won't stop, until I get this all figured out, thanks again for your support Jen....:)
  6. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

(couldn't get out of my earlier message to check it) for the association that has alternative docs. It is the American College for the Advancement in Medicine and they have a find a doctor section. As I mentioned earlier, Teitelbaum's site has a list of docs too. Good luck! Jen102
  7. Musica

Musica New Member

I remember your post about the rheumy you saw. After that, it couldn't be worse going back to your family doctor now - at least for awhile. You may get tired of his non-belief in FMS, but at least you will be with a doctor you like and respect while you research other rheumies, rheumies who you know in advance believe in FMS, if you decide to do that.

A doctor who stays with a patient all night like that is truly a caring person. Perhaps you can educate him on FMS and change his opinion by your own story and written information.
  8. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I thank you for your post too, I glad to get different opinions.
    Yes, this is a very kind and caring Dr., I know one of his bestfriends, and he is always held with high regards, no matter who speaking of him. And he has been with my family 12yrs. as I said, But before you posted, I thought about how I could help him understand or research this, and at least talk to him, about these issues, its only fair.
    I'll let you know how it goes (the talk).
    TaTa 4 now~ Karen
  9. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Thank you for replies, I thank everyone!
    I can't really comment, cuz, I'm so exhasted! I think I missplelled that, but anyhow......
    I am however sad to report, I didn't make it today, had my husband cancel for me! Will be rescheduling.
    My little lady and I had a very crazy night last night, she was very delusional, and was awake till almost 4 am. It was a very hard time, for her and I both! I was so tired, I felt like crying! Plus I'm dealing with severe sciatica, right now!
    I'll be in bed, hopefully early, she has been asleep most of day! We'll see!
    Luv ya'll, Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2006]