I'm looking for an easy to understand book on Diabetes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beadlady, May 24, 2010.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

does anyone have any suggestions?

{Yes, I posted this on the Diabetes board and no responses--yet}

2. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I have a couple of books in the "An idiots guide to....." or "........ for Dummies." I find them very easy to read. You might give them a try.

Good luck.
  3. stick2013

stick2013 Member

Gastric Bypass and Lap band don't and will not work, unless the person also decides to make lifetime changes to their diets. Having either of these operations is great, and yes, they have shown that they can and do work, IF the patient follows though with HEALTHY food choices. Eating the same crap as before defeats the surgery.

Most Dr's require that a patient looses a certain amount of weight BEFORE they will even consider doing the surgery. This is to prove to the Dr that a life style change has taken place and that the patient is willing to make the changes necessary to ensure the surgery is successful.....

The other issue is that after the surgery there is a chance of MALNUTRITION... It is a real possibility due to the fact that once you have the surgery, your body can no longer absorb the nutrients that it needs......There is a strict protocol of a vitamin regiment that a patient must adhere to..

Diet and exercise is still the way to go to handle Diabetes, and it can be done through hard work and commitment.

I suggest that your husband seek out a good nutritionist and find some good books on Diabetes, before you look at surgery....Just my opinion....
  4. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Thanks for your help.