I'm losing my rheumatologist!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scrappnmom, Jun 14, 2010.

1. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

I am so sad! My doctor is moving away and I'm going to have to find a new one. He did send suggestions for new doctors but I am really worried about finding a doctor that was as good as he was! Fibro is so misunderstood by some I'm scared I won't find anyone that has a clue how to treat me. Do any of you feel that way when you need a new doctor? I was really lucky with my doctor. He was the first rheumy I saw and he dxd me right away! And I have heard so many horror stories about people unable to find a good doctor! Any suggestions?

2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

My doctor is retiring, I'm Lost. Been treating me for 20 plus years.

You may want to ask for a referral, if your not satisfied with your next doc, find another.
    Always remember they work for you and they can be replaced. My search is just beginning too and i'm not looking forward to this at all.

I do wish you the best in finding a Rheumy whom understands you, i very well understand.

3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I, like your other poster, would look into your Dr's suggestions for replacement. I don't think he would refer you to someone he didn't have respect for, and thought would be a good fit for you.

In my case, my rheumy kicked me to the curb, saying he doesn't treat fm'ers as he can't help them any more than a regular physician can.

I'm lucky that I have a young Dr. We started going to him when he was just out of medical school. He and I learned together about FM. I am very happy that I have a life long Dr now, as it is very very unlikely, that I will outlive him. Ha Ha.

4. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

I just got home from my last appointment with my Rheumy! It was a hard one to go to. At least I was lucky enough to get to see him before he left! I know some of his patients won't get to. He had sent some suggestions to me in his letter that let me know he was leaving. But, while I was there I told him my fears about not being able to find a good doctor that has experience with Fibromyalgia and would understand me and he thought of another doctor that had been an intern or fellow under him and he said he thought she would be just the right fit for me. So, he is referring me to this lady. He just told me what to look for in a doctor. He said I need someone that is "tough" enough to tell me the truth but a doctor that isn't afraid to open up to the patient and give the attention and understanding that they need. He said he had learned over the past 25 years of practicing that he had to actually open his heart to his patients and allow them to take some of his heart with them and let them know that he cared about them. He said it's not good practice for a doctor to shut the door and not let a patient into their life. I told him that I had known he really cared about me. That's why I am so heart broken about losing him! I told him I was too! He just assured me that I would be ok. He said my "assignment" was to look for the right doctor for me. If the first one didn't work to go on to the next one. He said the destination isn't important but it's the journey itself that matters. He told me I had made a lot of progress in the past 10 years since I started seeing him and I know he's right. I had to learn to pace myself, but I also had to tell myself that I wasn't going to let this to get in the way of my enjoying my life! I feel a little better about losing him, but not much. I really liked his explaination of a good doctor! Don't you? I guess having him thinking of this other doctor he thought I'd like, made me feel more hopeful. Good luck to you all in finding the right doctor. I guess we don't realize how much we depend on our doctors until they leave! I felt like he was my good friend!

Hugs to you all!

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

6. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Well, so far so good! The doctor that my old Rheumy had referred me to was expecting a baby in Oct, but soon after I saw my old rheumy in June, I got a call from her nurse and she said she could see me the very next week. So, I went! She was very nice and I felt very comfortable with her. I also just saw her a couple weeks ago. So, I think my old doctor knew the kind of doctor I needed and sent me to the right one! I feel very lucky! So, I can't complain! I haven't ever been to a support group but it might be good for me. I find myself sort of isolating myself from other people because I don't feel like getting out much, and then I find myself feeling depressed and lonely! Is that common for all of you others with Fibro too? Or is it just me?