I'm making a special post about alzheimers research, etc.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunflowergirl, Aug 20, 2013.

1. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Everyone can add something they've read on the subject. Today I was watching Dr. Neil Barnard who was on Dr. Oz's program. He's an expert on the subject, talking about what we can do right now to prevent it....hopefully. One thing I didn't know was that doctors now think it's coming from an excess of copper, iron and zinc that accumulates in our brains messing up with the neural transmitters, etc. These minerals coming from copper piping, copper pots, aluminum cookware, iron cookware, and also foods that have an excess of these minerals AND excess minerals that are being added to supplements. He also talked about the foods we can eat and what to avoid. If you're interested in watching this you can look up Dr.Oz show and do a search for him. I'm also going to get his books and read up on this. Prevention is the key.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Well, I don't know much about research on Alzheimer's other than what I've observed in my own
    battle with same. Hard to say exactly when it started. When I was 39 the first symptoms of CFS
    appeared: lack of energy and brain fog. It was 5 years before I had to give up practicing law and
    switch to working part-time as a paralegal for a friend.

The brain fog continued to get worse. At some point, maybe 9-10 years ago it segued into Alz.
    One always hears that Alz. causes memory problems. What I never heard was that it causes instant
    forgetfulness. That is, one can think of something and forget it almost simultaneously. Makes it
    difficult to plane one's day or go grocery shopping.

I played tournament bridge for decades. Did crossword puzzles. Read lots of books. None of this seemed
    to ward off the advancing deterioration though. Took a lot of vitamins C, D and B12. Didn't seem to make
    much difference.

Just read a book by Garrison Keillor. I first read it when it came out 4 years ago. I had remembered
    almost nothing. So now I'm in early stage 6 which is dementia. I am hoping to go before I reach the
    point of not recognizing people and having to wear a diaper.

The final stage is 7. At that point the brain can no longer manage the automatic stuff like
    respiration, digestion, circulation, etc. The brain is overwhelmed with snarls and tangles and plaques
    and the patient dies.

I would just as soon skip the rest of stage 6. I was born during the Roosevelt administration. At that
    time the life expectancy chart showed age 60. I am now 13 years beyond that and ready to go. No
    sense sticking around for the predicted crash of our country.

Do we still have an Alzheimer Board? Couldn't find it. It was mainly about care taking. A fellow
    named Norbert had lots of advice based on his own experience. I think he had cared for his mother
    and an aunt.

For a while I read a lot about medical research, but it was all so tentative. Who knows? Maybe in
    a few years Alz will be like polio or the Black Plague; largely a problem of the past.

Rock
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sunflower Girl, I hope we get some good info here. This is an excellent topic. Like many diseases, this one is being researched but also like with so many diseases, it seems little progress has been made toward a cure. As I mentioned to Rock in another thread, my Mom's best friend has Alzheimers. Her docs have her on Aricept and it has stopped the progression of the disease and, I think, actually made her better. I noticed that when she is stressed, the symptoms immediately get worse.

When I've gone to see her, she doesn't remember me. I've had to remind her about my Mom and within a few minutes, I see the light bulb go on and she remembers me. She is in assisted living, a really nice place where they have all kinds of activities. She's always been a bit of a loner so doesn't participate. I finally had to make the decision to stop visiting her. I feel horrible about it. Her kids put her friends' phone numbers on her wall. After my visits, she would start calling me in the evenings when I'm not at my best. She called another friend and called right back after she hung up; she never remembered the conversation they had just had. When she's called during the day and I can't get to the phone, I'll call right back and she's not in her room. I finally figured out that my visits were too much for her, and for me. When she can't remember someone, it makes her feel so horrible. The whole visit is taken up with her apologies. It's heartbreaking. I'm sure it's hard for her to make calls. I told her that evening isn't good for me but, of course, she doesn't remember.

On the other hand, she has kept a journal and still does every day. She gets out and walks around the grounds and helps water the flowers there. Their food is some of the best I've had. The last visit I made, I took a pink crystal and pearl necklace with a crystal dragonfly pendant. I wrote, "Made for Beulah with love." I hope she wears it and feels the love that went into it.

Rock, I'm so sorry. I hope and pray a cure comes along. It's obvious you have a fine mind when you post. I'm sorry the memory and fog make it so hard for you. Yours is obviously not the fast moving kind of A, so you may have your faculties for life. I pray so. BTW, if I were there, I'd move your stick-shift car for you. I learned to drive on one and always had them til the car before the one I have. I could do a very impressive double-clutch racing downshift which I taught to my daughters. Few women know how to do this.

Love, Mikie
  4. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Mikie, You can double clutch! I'm impressed. Even though I'm not exactly sure what that is.
    I bet Danica Patrick knows. She is America's most successful woman racer. And you know she's a
    wonderful person because she's from Wisconsin and of Norskie descent. Yunpin' Yimminee!

Gordon got ahold of one of his brothers who will be over to move the car in the morning. Then he'll
    have to come back in the evening or tomorrow morning to move it again. Well, I've been wanting to
    get rid of the car for the last couple years. Even though I almost never drive it, it still costs about a
    thousand dollars a year to keep it.

I've heard several stories, sometimes second hand, about folks who take Aricept. Seem to fall into 3
    classes: didn't help; made things better; made things worse. I guess that probably applies to most meds.
    My 92 year old aunt in MN has dementia now. I used to write to her, but I stopped a year ago when
    my energy level dropped worse than the stock market. My sister who lives fairly close by says she
    can no longer recognize people.

Beulah, there's an old fashioned name. I hope she appreciates the necklace even if she doesn't remember
    where it came from. The feral cat I took care of for about 3 years died about a decade ago. I remember
    the name I gave her started w/ "B". Can't remember if it was Beulah or Beatrice or something else
    altogether. Well, I'm sure it wasn't Britney or Brooke or Bambi.

SG, I used to take a lotta zinc for my prostate cancer. Be kinda ironic if that was good for one thing
    but bad for the other. I read on another message board about some guy who had to take extra salt for
    one problem and avoid salt for another. I believe the medical term for this is "Can't win for losing."

Rock
  5. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I totally believe it's chemicals our bodies are exposed to that's the cause of Alzheimer's/dementia. Years ago, they did start issuing warnings not to use aluminum for cooking since they believed a link was found. Heck, back then, every department at Douglas Aircraft had one of those large aluminum coffeemakers...and most cookware was aluminum in those days.

I had heard these definitions ages ago...When you have Alzheimer's, if someone gives you a key, you have no clue what it is (don't even recognize it's a key). If you have dementia, you know it's a key but you don't know what it's used for. Rock, if you know it's a key, then you're ahead of the game.

Most people don't read the contraindications issued with prescriptions and they need to. I mentioned before, I watched my Dad go senile due to his medications. His heart med had warnings it could affect memory as did his diabetes medication, so he was double-whammied. He was given Aricept, but it didn't help. It was so sad watching this vital robust cheerful man's mind deteriorate.

Of course, we all lose memory cells as we age. They say we start having mini-strokes around the age of 40. I'm wondering if these mini-strokes are caused by chemical overload in our brains. I think I might start doing a bit of research on detoxing and see what I come up with.

Great topic!!
  6. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

My daughter and I were just talking about this the other night re: her former MIL...who had a hip replacement and had to have it done 2 times more as hip ball popped out...I'm sure she had general anestheia for all surgeries...after those surgeries she went downhill with memory, etc...she also took vicodin for many years...she did NOT take grape seed ex....I can get to just so many.

Even thou my hip replacement hasn't been the greatest outcome, the surgeon prefers local as do I.

So the drugs I'm sure do not help..

I'm banking on grape seed ex for SO MUCH including this disease...I know you take grape seed ex Rock, I think you still do, so who knows perhaps it's slowing everything down for you.....you are so sharp on the boards, so maybe huh? As I see it, it's circulation bodywide and keeping the blood clean....

I know, I'm a broken record, but it works....subtle for many who do not know it's helping. Profound for those with major issues. jam

PS: I got rid of anything aluminum a long time ago and Teflon too, Teflon is fluoride coated and that fluoride builds up in the body including the brain....
  7. mbofov

mbofov Member

Rock - you might take a look at this article: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/turmeric-produces-remarkable-recovery-alzheimers-patients

It talks about turmeric and other foods and supplements which might help with symptoms. There's a ton of research available about turmeric especially, but this article also mentions coconut oil (among other things) for cognitive symptoms, which I found surprising but very interesting.

Lecithin is also excellent for cognitive functioning. Both my sister and I had noticeable memory improvement when we started taking it. There's a lot of info about this too.

acetyl-l-carnitine also can help with Alzheimer's symptoms. My doctor said that for people over 60 it should be taken with n-acetyl-cysteine (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1944900)

Anyways, I think there's hope to at least ameliorate some of your symptoms.

For what it's worth, there is some very interesting research showing a strong connection between Alzheimers and diabetes and insulin resistance. Some call it type 3 diabetes. Not all Alzheimer's is linked to blood sugar problems, but a large percentage is.

Mary
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just read an article in the newspaper about Super Agers. Seems that there are a few people who live well into their 80's and 90's and beyond who have "young" brains. MRI's show no organic deterioration in the parts of the brains which usually cause memory loss as we age, which can start in our 50's or 60's. The study is to try to determine what keeps these oldsters so mentally healthy.

My guess is that it's probably genetics but, perhaps, it's something else. There were some similarities among the Super Agers. They all had a positive attitude, maintained a good social life, and were interested in various things. But, does that cause them to remain healthy or are they able to enjoy these things because of their good mental health? Chicken 'n egg question.

I no longer suffer from the pea soup brain fog I used to have but my memory is shot when I'm tired. It isn't a lot better when I'm rested. Still, I'm no worse off than my peers here in the hood. I've been trying to keep things organized to help me. One thing I am a sticker about is keeping my bills organized and paying them online, except for the ones which are deducted automatically. Some are even paid on my credit card which delays them 30 days and gives me reward points. But, I digress...

Here's to good memories.

Love, Mikie
  9. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Mary, Thank you for your post. At your suggestion I read about coconut oil. I found a place
    that sells it (Pro Health doesn't) and bookmarked it on the computer. Than I forgot all about it.
    Uff-da! as my Norskie ancestors/relatives say. Anyhoo, I plan to try it.

Of course, it may not help, but the good thing is that if it doesn't, I can always make a pina colada.

People in my family generally live a long time. Into the 70s and 80s usually. When I was in my 60s I used
    to turn a cartwheel on my birthday. I stopped around age 64 or 65. Suddenly occurred to me I'd
    never had a bone density test. What if my arm just snapped. Not only would I have an injury, I'd
    have people saying, "What was that old fool thinking anyway?"

Mikie, I just got a statement from my credit card company. Balance zero. I didn't get a bill from
    them last month, but I knew I had ordered something over the phone. I sent them a check without
    the form. I'm not volunteering to pay their $35 fee for a late payment. Especially when the bill
    was only $24.

Well, I had a nap earlier, but it lasted only about an hour. Think I'll try again.

Ha det bra
    (That's Norskie for "have it good".)

Rock
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just wondering--when you say "Uff Da!," do you hit your forehead with the palm of your hand like when we say, "Duh?" or when Homer Simpson says, "Doh!"

Sometimes, it can take the credit cards a long time between charging and getting a bill. All depends on the closing date of the bills. Still, it all catches up with us. I still get paper bills for those which I pay online. I can tell the bank when to send the payments and it tells me when the payment will get there. I always leave a little time before the due date. I hate Kohl's because they wouldn't remove the $25 late fee for a payment my bank screwed up. It was the first time and most companies will waive it if the bank caused the problem. It was when Wells Fargo bought out Wachovia and it happened to a lot of people, not just me. Now, instead of setting up an acct. online with each individual payee, I just add the payees to my "pay bills" list at my bank online. Easy peasy and it usually runs smoothly (knocking on wood).

I've heard so much about the coconut oil that I think I'll try it. There will be a $5 coupon in tomorrow's newspaper for the local healthfood store so that will help.

Love, Mikie