I'm making kefir!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Oct 28, 2009.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It's something I've toyed with doing for several months. Finally got off the stick and did it.

I ordered Kefir milk grains (that's what they're called) from kefirlady.com and she sent them promptly, cost $20. There are some sites which say people should just give grains away, but when I e-mailed people on the list, no one responded. THis lady maintains a website with a lot of good infromation and she does respond to e-mails promptly and the grains she sent me work beautifully.

I got them a week ago, about 1/4 cup I think, a couple of tablespoons, put them in 2 cups of goat's milk (am using powdered goat milk from Vitacost) and within 24 hours, they'd done their stuff, the milk was now kefir. So then I strained it, saving the grains, which had grown a little, and made a new batch. It just keeps going, and the grains keep growing! I mailed some grains to my sister yesterday. We were laughing, wondering if it would be a case of who eats who ... the way these suckers grow. Anyways, if you get too many grains, the kefir turns too sour, not good, but then you can eat the extra or give them away, or add more milk to make more ... kefir.

And kefir is supposed to be better than yogurt, has more probiotics. At first it did a number on my lower digestive tract, and after a few days I realized I was drinking too much. I'm used to probiotics and eating yogurt, but I think this stuff is more potent. Anyways, today things were just about back to normal (whew!) and I'll be very glad if this works out because it will be cheaper and better than buying probiotics.

Also, I'm allergic to cow's milk but goat milk is supposed to be better tolerated, which is why I'm using it and I think I'll be okay.

Also, some huge percentage of our immune system is in our gut, so hopefully this will help my beleaguered immune system.

Anyways, it is very easy, easier than I had thought. Almost too easy - I am getting overrun with kefir! have decided to freeze some.

The kefir lady (see website above) sent instructions and some recipes also. You can do a lot of things with it.

One site that I saw recommended several times while doing research was Dom's kefir site. If you google "Dom kefir", you'll get to it - almost too much information --

By next week I should enough grains to send to another sister who wants some --

I also read that you can buy dried kefir grains in health food stores, but they are only good for 5 or 6 or 7 batches and then stop working. The grains I have should just keep going ... and going ... and going ...

2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Mary - I also make kefir from grains. The dried kefir that you can purchase in health food stores isn't considered "real" kefir. It also doesn't have as many of the bacteria and yeast that the real kefir does. Also the real kefir has a couple of yeasts in it which compete with candida and help keep candida at normal levels.

I'll have to look at the Kefir Lady site as I have only ever looked at Dom's website. If you ever have any kefir questions, Dom has a Yahoo group.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Glen - I use my kefir mainly in smoothies. Kefir is a little tart so I usually add a ripe banana for some sweetness. You can strain kefir and make a cream cheese from it. Some people will also use kefir in place of buttermilk and sour cream, depending on what they are using it for.

4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for the info. It's just fun to do (besides being so good for you) - I feel a little absurd, but I'm getting a kick out of doing this.

Have you been making kefir long?

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Well, I drink it straight, but TigerLilea is right, you can add fruit, make a smoothie with it, I guess do whatever you might do to make yogurt taste better. I don't mind the way it tastes, though. It does taste better cold and the goat's milk does have a somewhat different taste than cow's milk, so you might want to doctor it up.

I will be interested to see if immune functioning improves and will definitely post if I notice that happening.

6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I've been making kefir for just a little over two years. I did take a break for a while, however, got back to it again in the summer. My grains are a little slow right now but that could also be the weather. I find that in the warmer weather, they grow much faster and I get a much creamier kefir.
  7. street129

street129 New Member

how about you mbofov helping me make this thing, but go very slowly teaching me, my brain is not here.u know i have candida, that is first and furmost. if i have candid i must stay away from milk is that right, or i can use something else, please let me know, so i must buy the kefir first,
    you peep my curiousty.
    so i must first buy the kefir milk grain from kefirlady.com, what site do i go to to get this grain that the lady gave you. and do i pay for this grain. i would need to buy goat milk from vitcost, is that save with my candida. if i buy it, it will be the milk powder too. next

you said within 24 hours they ar one, what is done , im lost here..so you strained the milk with the kefir, is that right, keeping the grain..where do you store the grain that is kept, can i buy some from you......seriouly buy some thanks. or are you talking about the grain that you bought for 29 dollars, or the one that you got from the lady.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/29/2009]