I'm needing help to reduce my stress

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

My Dr. told me last month I need to get my stress levels down--she feels my high stress is causing parts of my cholesterol numbers to keep going up and is worried about my heart.

I'm considering going back to church--I hope that would help me to develop some new friends and interests so I'm not such a homebody. At this point I'm not sure whether to go to the church I used to go or try a new one. I know alot of my old friends {that I have lost touch from} from my previous church have moved on to other churches now, so I guess it would be like going to a new church anyways.

Any other ideas?
  2. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

a fitness club that has a pool near you. You don't have to know how to swim but see if they have swim arobics or just go there on open swim and walk or use a paddle board and kick around. I feel better in the water as it takes the weight off you so you don't feel the pain so much. I think joining a church is also a good idea. Check different ones out and find one you are most comfortable at you don't have to commit to one or go to more then one at different times god won't care. Listen to music (no T.V.) calm music and just lay down and try to let your mind just flow with the music this helps me. Sometimes my best times are when I am driving in the country with the radio or cd in listing to my music and it's only me in the car. I don't drive much anymore but when I do this still is one of my favorite times. If you like reading read a book it will take your mind to different places and off your troubles try one that does not stress you out and if you do not like reading use one that talks to you I forget what they are called. I wish you well
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

is great for dealing with stress. A really good book is The Relaxation Response, by cardiologist Herbert Benson. It came out way back in 1976, but is still an excellent book and a very interesting and easy read and a good introduction to meditation. Dr. Benson was very impressed with studies which showed that people who meditated regularly were able to lower blood pressure.

Meditation is similar to exercise in that in order to benefit from it, you have to do it regularly. You won't notice results right away (just like with exercise), but if you do it daily, after a few weeks you will notice a difference. I love it.

4. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

When I first became sick in the late '80's, I was that stressed I would wake up with sores in the palms of my hands from my fingernais pressing into them from clenched fists.

I suffered from high anxiety and agoraphobia. I was a young mother at the time and still had to carry on, which was the best thing, or I would not have left the house.

I got into group therapy with Adult Children of Alcoholics and Al-anon, which were a godsend. I was able to go back to work and attended school in the evenings. I found I like being out with people. It took me years but I worked through my issues.

I won't go into all that, but today, I enjoy chair yoga for the over-50 crowd held by a non-profit group. I use to be able to do beginner or gentle yoga but with surgery the anesthesia flared the FMS and arthritis up where I am in constant pain, but the yoga helps wonderfully. We have a half hour of meditation at the end. I was able to collect my SS early.

When I became ill with the mono onset of CFS, I did think I was dying. Journaling helped a lot. I destroyed 16 years of journals because of things I had written about people in my life that I would not want to be shared when I pass. My journal was my best friend.

I worked in direct care and found I have a gift for listening to people. At times, I crave for someone to listen to me, but I have a social network online and family and friends.

Believe me, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You can work through it.

When I interned at a VA center when I had completed school, a veteran of the VN war came in....he was shaking with anxiety and looked at the floor. I realized, that was me! I was allowed to see how far I had come. It was such a slow process, I had forgotten how bad my situation was.

Follow your heart. I was sent signs each time I had to deal with another issue in my life. Journaling, try to remember your dreams, sometimes there are messages in them, write them down.

Let us know how it goes.
  5. sascha

sascha Member

Emotional Freedom Technique. really helps me with stress and cfids symptoms. technique is easily learnable. check online at eftuniverse.com

and youtube.com has a lot of eft videos to tap along with

it has been an amazing tool for me- good luck- sascha
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I very much like the saying you posted: Life is a mystery to be lived, and not a problem to be solved. Of course my inquisitive analytical brain immediately wanted to figure out what that meant! :D