I'm new and ssssoooooo tired!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petlover, Oct 13, 2002.

1. petlover

petlover New Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm new to these message boards, so I haven't been following the topics that much. I also don't have a whole lot of info about CFS. I know that it's a disease of "exclusion", meaning doctors look for everything else, first. I know there is no "test" for CFS or Fibromyalgia.
    First, I've been tired for many years. I'm almost 29, and that's too young to be tired. I'm not obese, I don't smoke, and I don't have children. I'm tired if I sleep 7 hours a night or 10 or 11. I'm tired if I exercise vigorously, a litte bit, or not at all. I'm tired if I'm on the couch, if I'm at the computer, if I'm at work, or at a loud concert. I'm tired if I drink milk, a glass of wine or a large coffee. I'm tired at 6 a.m. when I get up for work. I'm tired at noon when I eat lunch. I'm tired at 4-ish p.m. when I'm leaving work. I nearly fall asleep at the wheel driving home most afternoons.
    I have been tested for hypothyroidism...(I have many classic signs of hypothyroidism)...negative. It was assumed that I had "Wilson's" disease (you may not have heard of it, but it's a thyroid condition, too.) It turned out that I had too much T4 hormone to possibly have "Wilson's". I've been tested for anemia, Lupus, MS, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and other stuff that I don't even remember. All results were negative.
    I'm on Wellbutrin and Zoloft for depression. I was tired before I took them. When I took Paxil, I was really tired. I was switched to Prozac, and I had intense anxiety and nausea. I was switched to Wellbutrin alone, which did nothing. Then, I was given Zoloft, which helps the depression, but may cause or add to fatigue. My GP gave me Wellbutrin on top of it because she feels that it helps to lessen the fatigue caused by Zoloft. I'm still tired.
    I don't have the "muscle aches" that others often have with CFS/Fibro. But, I do have very tight "kinked" muscles in my shoulders and neck. I have terrible TMJ, and have been to physical therapy to help that. My insurance won't pay for any more physical therapy, so now I'm stiff-jaw again, and take Advil continuously. I get tension headaches that extend from the shoulder/neck pain. I don't have swelling or migraines or arthritic symptoms.
    I have tried CLA for energy. I've tried Ginseng for energy. I've tried caffeine, sugar and diet/energy pills with ephedra for energy. Nothing really makes a difference.
    I hear from family members that I'm "just a tired person" or "You should exercise more". (How can you find the energy to exercise when you're falling asleep at your desk?) The endocrinologist told me there is nothing wrong with me. The GP thinks it's the Zoloft. The homeopathic doctor thinks it's something emotional from my childhood, and prescribed Sulfur, which did nothing. Nurses think it's my low blood pressure (90/60). The endocrinologist also says I'm hypoglycemic. Sometimes I take glucose pills when I'm going to faint from hunger. Oh yeah, and I'm always hungry....and I'm a vegetarian and yes, I get enough protein and iron. I eat veggie burgers/peanut butter/soy products galore, and sometimes fish.
    I don't know what all of this means, but since you are all familiar with these diseases and are much more knowledgable than myself, I figured I'd post. I'm just tired of being tired. I'm sick of being unheard. Do you think I have CFS? I know you can't "diagnose" me, but what is your honest opinion?
    I appreciate any info/support anyone can give me. I'm going to start on a journey to find a doctor near me who believes in CFS. It's got to be my problem. Everything else has been "excluded". Thanks for listening.

Signed,
    "Nodding off in New England...."
  2. petlover

petlover New Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm new to these message boards, so I haven't been following the topics that much. I also don't have a whole lot of info about CFS. I know that it's a disease of "exclusion", meaning doctors look for everything else, first. I know there is no "test" for CFS or Fibromyalgia.
    First, I've been tired for many years. I'm almost 29, and that's too young to be tired. I'm not obese, I don't smoke, and I don't have children. I'm tired if I sleep 7 hours a night or 10 or 11. I'm tired if I exercise vigorously, a litte bit, or not at all. I'm tired if I'm on the couch, if I'm at the computer, if I'm at work, or at a loud concert. I'm tired if I drink milk, a glass of wine or a large coffee. I'm tired at 6 a.m. when I get up for work. I'm tired at noon when I eat lunch. I'm tired at 4-ish p.m. when I'm leaving work. I nearly fall asleep at the wheel driving home most afternoons.
    I have been tested for hypothyroidism...(I have many classic signs of hypothyroidism)...negative. It was assumed that I had "Wilson's" disease (you may not have heard of it, but it's a thyroid condition, too.) It turned out that I had too much T4 hormone to possibly have "Wilson's". I've been tested for anemia, Lupus, MS, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer and other stuff that I don't even remember. All results were negative.
    I'm on Wellbutrin and Zoloft for depression. I was tired before I took them. When I took Paxil, I was really tired. I was switched to Prozac, and I had intense anxiety and nausea. I was switched to Wellbutrin alone, which did nothing. Then, I was given Zoloft, which helps the depression, but may cause or add to fatigue. My GP gave me Wellbutrin on top of it because she feels that it helps to lessen the fatigue caused by Zoloft. I'm still tired.
    I don't have the "muscle aches" that others often have with CFS/Fibro. But, I do have very tight "kinked" muscles in my shoulders and neck. I have terrible TMJ, and have been to physical therapy to help that. My insurance won't pay for any more physical therapy, so now I'm stiff-jaw again, and take Advil continuously. I get tension headaches that extend from the shoulder/neck pain. I don't have swelling or migraines or arthritic symptoms.
    I have tried CLA for energy. I've tried Ginseng for energy. I've tried caffeine, sugar and diet/energy pills with ephedra for energy. Nothing really makes a difference.
    I hear from family members that I'm "just a tired person" or "You should exercise more". (How can you find the energy to exercise when you're falling asleep at your desk?) The endocrinologist told me there is nothing wrong with me. The GP thinks it's the Zoloft. The homeopathic doctor thinks it's something emotional from my childhood, and prescribed Sulfur, which did nothing. Nurses think it's my low blood pressure (90/60). The endocrinologist also says I'm hypoglycemic. Sometimes I take glucose pills when I'm going to faint from hunger. Oh yeah, and I'm always hungry....and I'm a vegetarian and yes, I get enough protein and iron. I eat veggie burgers/peanut butter/soy products galore, and sometimes fish.
    I don't know what all of this means, but since you are all familiar with these diseases and are much more knowledgable than myself, I figured I'd post. I'm just tired of being tired. I'm sick of being unheard. Do you think I have CFS? I know you can't "diagnose" me, but what is your honest opinion?
    I appreciate any info/support anyone can give me. I'm going to start on a journey to find a doctor near me who believes in CFS. It's got to be my problem. Everything else has been "excluded". Thanks for listening.

Signed,
    "Nodding off in New England...."
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

Your post sounds like it could have been written by me a year and a half ago. For years I almost fell asleep on my way home from school, until I transferred to a school near my home. I was always tired, but doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.

Then I got a divorce and was diagnosed with depression, but despite lots of different antidepressants I didn't feel better. I slept poorly and had other physical problems. Finally last fall I was so sick and in so much pain I took a day off for a doctor's appointment and didn't go back full-time. I tried half-time in March, but was wiped out by June.

My therapist was the one who figured out what was wrong, because she has the same symptoms and had recently been dx'd with CFS and FM. It took me over two months after she told me before I finally got in to see a doc who recognized what was wrong and dx'd me.

Some of your symptoms sound like they could be FM. You might want to read on this site about the symptoms (go to the home page) and see if you recognize them.

Check out the good docs list. You can get to it from the home page also. Go down the right side until you see doctors and click on it. Then one option is the Co-Cure good docs list. Hopefully you will find one near you. If you don't ask on here and someone else may have suggestions for you.

Don't give up. There is help for these things and you can feel better. The best thing you can do right now is read and find out as much as you can about thses DD's. That way you can help your doc treat you. You will want to find one who is willing to let you be a partner in your journey back to better health.

Also learn to pace yourself. Don't try to do everything and avoid stress as much as possible. I know, that's not easy as a teacher, but try anyway!

Barbara
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Just from reading all your post and seeing all the tests and stuff you've been thru and still no DX or answer??!! I'd say theres a big chance that you could one of the two...CF or FM.Do you have any food allergys or sensitive to any foods??Alot of us do.
    Have you ever been to a Rheumatologist?Thats who DX me way back when.(lol-its been roughly 8-10 years,who's counting?!)I hope you can get a dx soon.Keep digging for answers!
    Best of luck!
    Tracey
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I've had cfids for 9 years & never a problem w/ muscle aches. Only soreness when I overuse them which is from being out of shape......AMY
  6. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

at that age! I was always dragging around while the my friends always seemed to have plenty of energy to spare. Now at almost fifty..I am still treading water .. so to speak. I am sorry for your suffering..perhaps for you..as for me, it was good to just get a diagnosis. Believe it or not..my chiro was the first to come up with a diagnosis. When I was in my twenties and thirties..going to MDs to find out why I had no energy..they always said..oh, you must have depression. DUH! Of course I am depressed..being young and no energy IS depressing. I do not buy that depression causes these two diseases and their symptoms. I feel a person just gets tired of feeling tired and/or hurting and get depressed because of the seemingly futileness of going to doctors and being told nothing.

Hope you feel better soon...it does help to know that you are not the only one..does it not?
  7. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Your muscle tension sounds like me. Now I know I have Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome, a neuromuscular disease. Now that I know what it is, I can see back into my childhhod, all the classic symptoms - headaches, etc.
    Just do a web search and you'll find Devin Starlanyl's site on CMP and FM
    Good luck w/ your research - btw, I'm hypoglycemic and vegeterian too
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad you found our board. We do try to help one another cope here, and like Velvet said, are you alright? You have not responded to all the replies you received.

Do drop in and let us know how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl
  9. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

It sounds like you need to find a good doctor for cfs sometimes they find other things while treating you for cfs/fms but there are some treatments that are not a cure but they can help you take charge of your life again.I promise you it will get better!I did not want to hear that a few months ago and now I have flipped over telling other people that.I read your Bio and it sounds so much like me.Read mine and email me if you like.This board can help you so much and there is a wealth of information.Please drop us a note to say how you are feeling!Love,tracey