I'm new and want to share

Discussion in 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Main Forum' started by slamina, Sep 3, 2015.

1. slamina

slamina Member

Hi to all who read this. I hope to be able to continue posts and stay on this forum. I've been on several in the past but never stay long. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just get wrapped up in all my every day issues and procrastinate to much I'm always fighting to get caught up.

Today I got on prohealth site because of problems getting off the drug, Cymbalta and then I mosied over to forums and here I am. I have a question for any of you who can answer. I was reading that ME/CFS is not diagnosed as such until several other illnesses such as MS, leukemia, and more are ruled out.
    My question is, how can all these illnesses be ruled out since many take extensive testing? MS for one is determined thru a spinal tap and leukemia by many special blood tests. I've never had anything more than the general blood profiles and yet I'm diagnosed with FMS/CFS. Is this different from ME/CFS.? I'm alittle confused..

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and any help would be so appreciated. Oh yea.. I do see a rheumatologist every 4 months.

2. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Hi Slamina,

For FMS you chould check out the Fibromyalgia part of the forum. There is a search box on the top right of the page just below your username that is very helpful to find related posts and people who may have similar questions answered.

FMS is different from M.E. but CFS and M.E. are often used for the same illness though there seem to be some distinctions.

What works for FMS might not work for M.E./CFS and vice versa.

For M.E. CFS a lot of my questions are answered on a youtube channel where scientists and researchers explain about the symptoms etc. https://www.youtube.com/user/WetenschapvMEcvsVer

Hope you find some more answers soon!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Slamina,

Welcome to this wonderful website. I've been here since 2000 and owe most of my healing to the kind and generous members here who share their knowledge. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a real condition but is often used for anyone who has suffered profound exhaustion for more than six months. Docs like to try to rule out other conditions and there are some tests which help them to do that. CFS, CFIDS and ME all are terms to describe this syndrome. ME is used in Britain. There are various degrees of CFS and some are very, very sick with bone-crushing exhaustion and brain fog. When FMS was added to my CFS, following an auto accident, I was bedridden and on morphine for pain. With the help of our members here and my docs, I have clawed my way back to the point where I can function. I do not enjoy glowing good health but am no longer on opiods nor bedridden. It takes time and trial and error to heal. Heck, it takes time just to eliminate other conditions and get a diagnosis.

FMS can be diagnosed more easily because one must have tender points in all four quadrants to qualify. FMS and CFS often travel together. FMS often accompanies lupus and MS or it can be primary.

I understand your frustrations. Until your docs eliminate other conditions, treat your symptoms, starting with the worst one and then the second-worst one, etc. This website has a library of research papers and opinion papers from experts in our illnesses. Be sure to explore the site and sign up for the newsletter. You can read about our founder's story; he has CFS. It's a very inspiring story. There are products here which are selected for our conditions. A large percent of profits is used for research into, and advocacy for, our illnesses.

Be sure to stop over on the Chit Chat Forum and visit the Porch. It's a group of us who gather to discuss just about anything. It's good to get your mind off what ails you now and then. The Homebound Forum has a similar group and they love playing games.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie