I'm new, and wanted to ask a fainting question

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by TravisD, Jan 10, 2003.

1. TravisD

TravisD New Member

Hi.
    I'm 14, and I've had some kind of problem with fainting for a while and without any explanation. I've always wondered why it's happened, but there's never been a clear reason why.

- In 3rd grade
    - In 5th grade
    - Summer break after 7th grade
    - In 8th grade
    - I fainted twice in one day during summer break after 8th grade

That's six times in six years, and it may have happened before 3rd grade, but I don't remember it quite clearly. I'm somewhat scared of this happening, because I almost broke my nose when I fell once, and the last time I fainted I stayed unconscious for a while until someone finally helped me out. If anyone knows why this may happening, and how I could prevent, it would help me a lot.

[This Message was Edited on 01/10/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2003]
  2. poco

poco New Member

Sounds like you might be having hypoglycemia,low blood sugar......Go to a doctor and get checked.If that's the problem all you have to do is eat more often. Ihad the same problem when I was a kid.....Take Care!!!
  3. TravisD

TravisD New Member

Did you notice anything else wrong before you found that you had hypoglycemia? The only problems I've had was the fainting stuff, and I don't know if there's anything else I should notice as well.

Thanks for your help.
  4. pamj

pamj New Member

Hi Travis,
    I'm 37, and I've had problems with fainting since I was a child. Like you, it didn't happen very often, about once a year or so. There were three different factors that caused it for me. Each time it was something that caused my blood pressure to drop & I still have pretty low blood pressure.

1) being sick with a flu or stomach bug - this made we very weak and pale & blood pressure would be lower than usual. Also being dehydrated would lower the blood pressure.

2) hyperventilating - if I went from a resting state to a very quick aerobic state, like jumping rope, I would hyperventilate & faint

3) having a big scare - I remember falling off a chair & twisting my arm behind my back, it was so startling & painful that I fainted.

I've been told by my cardiologist that when your heart jumps fast suddenly, the blood pressure can drop, and if you already have pretty low blood pressure you would be more likely to faint than most people.

You should just make sure that your doctor checks your blood pressure, and if it seems to get low at times, there are certain things you can do to help you feel better.

Now when I'm feeling sick or lightheaded, it helps to drink plenty of fluids & have something salty. Soup is perfect & I usually add a little salt if I feel like I need it. Gatorade also helps me a lot. Especially before doing any activity!

Also, when you start to feel weak, or that tingly-head feeling, make sure you get low to the ground quickly. It helps to lie down & raise your feet if you can, and try to breathe slowly. I know how scary it is, but it helps me to have a cold cloth (or a bag of frozen veggies!) on my forehead & focus on something till the feeling goes away.

I hope you're able to find out what is causing this problem for you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

take care,
    Pam[This Message was Edited on 01/16/2003]