I'm new...have a few ?'s

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DMBrox, Jul 23, 2003.

1. DMBrox

DMBrox New Member

Hello,

I'm new too. I don't know what the icons mean so I just picked the one I liked best.
    Just diagnosed with fibro after several months of pain. It's great to see other people with the same problems. I'm sure you've all heard this before but I'm glad it's not all in my head (as some people have told me.) OK. On to the question:
    • The most frequent place for my pain is in my arms.
    Does anybody else get that? I work at a newspaper as a writer so I spend a lot of time typing. I suspect that has somthing to do with it. It make it hard to get through the day.
    • Numbness and tingling sensations in arms, hands, legs, feet and even my head! Is that normal? Does anybody else get those?
    • Medication. I am on a trycyclic antidepressant called Desipramine (simalr to Elavil) and it makes me sooo tired. Any suggestions?

Um, I guess I'll stop there for now. Thanks for listening.
  2. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

My Fibro pain started in my arms. Is it in your upper or lower arms? Mine is upper. They ache and it's hard to carry things or even hold the phone sometimes. My legs ache too, seems like that is getting worse as time goes by.
    I've had this for a little over 2 years now. Welcome to the board!
  3. DMBrox

DMBrox New Member

Hi Goo Goo,
    thanks for replying so soon. It's all over my arms. They just ache. It makes it really hard to concentrate and type. The desipramine has dulled it a bit. I notice it is worse around that time of the month.
  4. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

Sorry you have to suffer with arm pain especially since you have to depend on your arms so much. My sister gets pain in her arms. Mine is mostly in my back and neck.
    I get numbness/tingling in my lower arms and hands, and in my lower legs and left foot. It's strange. That goes with fibro too. I take elavil. I have adjusted to it. Maybe you can try another type of drug. Are you on it for pain, sleep, or depression? Sometimes it takes trying different drugs to get the right combination. I hope this validated how you are feeling, and was of some help. Hang in there, and God Bless.
  5. youmansm

youmansm New Member

Hi. The thing I can tell you that has helped my fibro. the most overall is water exercise and hot tubs/hot baths. Period. I'd say for arm pain, or ANY type of pain, get into either a deep-water exercise class or one for people with special problems (like fibro, arthritis, etc.). If in shallow water, make sure you stand in water deep enough to cover your shoulders. That should help with the arm pain. I have had a lot of bicipital tendinitis (due to a rotator cuff injury--had surgery, all better now) and the water helped it. I can wake up stiff now with a sore back or hip and not feel like doing anything and get better during a morning water class. I can handle the regular deep-water ones, but you might want to start with a special one. I do those, too. I hope you live somewhere where they are offered! Try the Y, local municipal pools, etc. Water has been my salvation :). Exercise in general is great, but if it's not in water, I MUST follow it up with hot water or I'm much stiffer.

As for the numbness/tingling, I was once diagnosed with "dural adhesions." I had some physical therapy that really helped with that all over. You could look into that. I used to go to Kathleen Bell at Bell Physical Therapy in California (I think it was Glendale?--LA area). She might have a referral.

Best of luck! :)
  6. cindye

cindye New Member

sorry about the fibro. After three years of going from doctor to doctor to find relief for my teenage daughter, I found a book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell you About Fibromyalgia" - turned her life around! I realize guai does not help everyone but a lot of people get great results from it. It is just amazing to see the difference in her - never thought I would see the day that she would be able to go away to college - figured she would have to attend locally and stay at home so I could take care of her. Next month she is going to college 2 hours from home! I am so excited about it for her - I will really miss her but this is something she has worked so hard for and never gave up the dream, even when she was flat on her back. She has such inner strength - has taught me a lot and I am ever so proud of her! Good luck!
  7. DMBrox

DMBrox New Member

Thanks for all the support. At least I know I'm somewhat normal among fibro sufferers.
    To answer MadWolf the desipramine was dianosed by a (ahem, very expensive, grrr) doctor I went to for my vulvar vestibulitis. (My reg. gyn just kept giving me Diflcan because she was certain it was yeast). The VV started happening around the same time as unbearable arm pain. After a few weeks on the desipramine both symptoms felt better, not altogether gone, but better.
    Recently, the VV is back so my gyn (Mr. $$bags) upped the 100 mg dose to 125. When I complained to my gp that I hurt everywhere, all the time he said to try 150 mgs. I just feel zonked out . It's hard to get up in the morning. But if I have to choose between that and the pain, I would choose sleepiness. It's also been really hot here (100+) everyday so that might have something to do with sleepiness too.
    I'll check out the nortriptyline though. Thanks for the tip.