I'm new here - pls help with finding a dr.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aduck, Jun 27, 2003.

1. aduck

aduck New Member

Hi. I'm new here - I've been ill for 13 years and was doing better but now have had a bad relapse. Sorry this is long.

I don't know where this "Good Doctor List" is that's supposed to be on this message board/website. I clicked on "Doctor Referral" but saw no list for doctors.

I need a doctor in Texas that knows all tests to be done for CFS/FM - I've never had specific blood tests done for CFS because never could know of a doctor to go to. Now that CFS tests are more common I'd like to have them done.

I'm too ill right now to research too many things on this message board, so please have patience with my ignorance at this time.

I got exposed to some strong pesticides in a motel room last month, plus my mother just passed away last month, and the two combinations have made me feel like I'm in serious trouble with my health.

I feel like i have hypothyroidism and adrenal insufficiency. I've been given a "standard" thyroid test that most doctors use but not the one that is supposed to be given for CFS patients. I've gained 20 pounds in one month and my diet hasn't changed, and I'm always on the thin side with difficulty gaining weight. My thyroid test results came out OK, however, as I just mentioned, I think I need a different thyroid test. I'm too tired to move most days, too heavy feeling and dizzy and weak. Can't stand up too well and sometimes not at all.

I've never been tested for adrenal insufficienty or to see if I have low cortisol or hypercoagulation. However, the lst time I was this ill my blood clotted in the test tube before they could get it to the lab!

I'm in southeast Texas, and need a doctor that can perform the tests mentioned above. Can any doctor test for adrenal insufficienty and low cortisol?

Can someone refer some doctors in Texas that treat CFS and know what tests to give me? I can travel a little if I have to if someone drives me, but not too far. Houston could be a possibility or San Antonio or Austin or preferably anything south/southeast of there. I live near Corpus Christi.

Pesticides and environmental toxins make me almost not able to function, so I suspect I have neurotoxic illness. Maybe everyone with CFS has neurotoxic symptoms? Can't take medications - get severe allergic reactions with everything I try.

I've never had my brain x-rayed. My father was a self-employued pest-control exterminator even before I was born and I smelled pesticides daily in our garage, his truck, and our home and I may have been injured while still in the womb, I don't know.

I'm so sorry this is so long. Really tired of the horrible symptoms right now - sometimes my circulation is so bad I feel like I can't wake up, literally, and am numb all over, even my scalp gets numb and tingly, so I don't sleep for too long at a time because when I do I feel like I may not ever wake up. ANyone else have this feeling?

It's difficult to type all this both physically and emotionally, but I feel I had to ask for help, as I live alone right now and am kinda scared.

Thanks SO much in advance for any help. I wish all of you the best.
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I can't help you with a Texas doctor, but I can at least say "HI". We have a bunch of people from Texas. CJ - where are you?
    Kate
  3. aduck

aduck New Member

Thank you for your welcoming. That was nice of you. :)
  4. aduck

aduck New Member

I'll look on that website. Thanks for responding!
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm a couple of states north of you in Kansas. Welcome! Try "co-cure good doctor list" when you search. I believe that should get you to the right website.

Good luck,
    Pam
  6. aduck

aduck New Member

Thank you SO much for the website info on finding a doctor. I'll search. I appreciate everyone's help!

aduck
  7. kgg

kgg New Member

TEXAS, USA CFS & FM GOOD DOCTOR LIST

Austin, TX
    David K. Harris, M.D.
    Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
    7307 Creekbluff Dr.
    Austin, TX 78750
    Tel: (512) 454-1234
    (FMS "I can not say enough wonderful things about this very knowledgeable and approachable man and the staff who really are there for you.")

Robert Thoreson, D.O.
    11410 Jolleyville Rd.
    Austin, TX 78759
    Tel: (512) 346-3637
    (FMS. "He knows and understands this disorder like no other doctor does. His staff understands.")

Dallas, TX
    Dr. William Rea
    Enviromental Health Center
    8345 Walnut Hill Lane, Suite 220
    Dallas, Texas 75231
    Tel: (214) 368-4132

Matt Sloan, M.D.
    Pain Management
    7995 LBJ Frwy, Suite 103
    Dallas TX 75251
    Tel: (972) 239-2190
    ("He is an Anesthesiologist who specializes in pain management. He is very tough but he is also very fair. I have been a patient of his for over two years and have never had a problem with him.")

Ft. Worth, TX
    Sheila Horsley, M.D.
    11803 South Freeway
    Ft. Worth, Texas 76115
    Tel: (817) 293-6988
    (She understands FMS, CFIDS, lymes, hypothyroidism, chronic candidiasis like no doctor I've known. Been using her since 1987, and she has helped me recover from most symptoms. Fabulous lady.)

Gun Barrel City, TX
    Dr. Charles Smith
    Family Medicine
    2418 W Main St
    Gun Barrel City, TX 75147
    Tel: (903) 887-3736
    ("This doctor deals with the patient compassionately.")

Houston, TX
    Arlette Pharo, D.O.
    4200 Westheimer, Suite 200
    Houston, Texas 77027
    Tel: (713) 626-0505
    (I have had CFIDS and Fibromyalgia for the past 7 years. Dr. Pharo has been my physician for 3 of those years. She is a Family Practice physician treating many AIDS and CFIDS patients and is a regular speaker at the Houston CFIDS Support group.

She believes in combining traditional western medicine with alternative healing methods, is very compasionate and caring and regularly attends meetings and conferences involving CFIDS.)

Patricia D.Salvato, M.D.
    4126 SouthWest Freeway, Suite 1700
    Houston, TX 77027
    Tel: (713) 961-7100
    ("She is a well known and respected doctor trained in Internal Medicine and specializes in CFIDS and AIDS")

Plano, TX
    Dr. Eric Hurd
    4100 West 15th St.
    Plano, TX, 75075
    Tel: (972) 596-5449
    FMS

Port Arthur, TX
    Dr. Wilson L. Lynch
    3310 Triangle Dr.
    Port Arthur, TX 77640
    Tel: (409) 962-2266

Richardson, TX
    John Harney, M.D.
    375 Municipal Dr, Suite 222
    Richardson TX 75080
    Tel: (972) 783-8900
    ("His specialty is Neurology, but he treats a lot of FMS and CFS patients.")

San Antonio, TX
    Dr. Connor Chase
    3859 E. Southcross
    San Antonio, TX 78222
    Tel: (210) 359-9009
    ("He has researched a great deal of information on CFIDS, and is utilizing what he has learned to help me and other patients he sees with this disease.")

Raymond Potterf, MD, PhD
    7410 John Smith
    San Antonio, TX 78229
    Tel: 210-692-1988
    ("This is a psychiatrist that was a PhD biochemist before going to med school. His research was in thyroid and psychoactive drugs. He has been better than any of the Rheumatologists I tried working with on my FMS. He worked in a pain clinic for a time and FMS and FMS medications as well as being an expert pharmacologist for other disorders. He maintains a massage therapist in his office and has prescribed twice weekly sessions for me. I have gotten more relief from the FMS with him than with anyone else.")

Webster, TX
    Dr. Howard Dillard, MD
    #6 Professional Park
    Webster, Texas 77598
    Tel: (281) 338-1881
    (Webster is a suburb of Houston. Dr. Dillard is very familiar with CFIDS and he has helped me a great deal.)

Return to Good Doctor List Index
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time of it right now. I agree with you that it is probably due to the combination of the death of your mother and the pesticide exposure.

As for the adrenal stress test, which is a saliva test that checks for both cortisol and DHEA levels, that is done independently through Great Smokies Labs. My doc contacted them and they sent me the kit. My insurance covered part of the testing cost.

I would also suggest that you read the post on Orthostatic Intolerance-NMH/POTS that I posted yesterday. It has to do with the inability to stand for any period of time. If you see yourself there that can be treated and the treatment protocol is listed in the post.

I wish you luck in finding some solutions to your current health status and returning to your previous level.

Barbara

9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. So sorry to hear how ill you are, and do hope you find a doctor soon from the list that was posted for you, or you can call; 'FM Network 1-800-853-2929 for a referral in your immediate area if there is one available.

Sorry to hear about the lost of your Mother, I know how you feel, that is a terrible lost and does affect us greatly.

I am so glad you have found our board, as I know you will get a lot of support and information here. We do have some terrific people here.

Take care, and again a big welcome to you.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. aduck

aduck New Member

everyone for helping!

I made an appointment next week with an internist here to start with for some testing. I'll let you know how it goes.