I'm new here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by missymiss, Feb 18, 2003.

1. missymiss

missymiss New Member

hello. i am new to this forum so don't really know what it is about or what to expect really, so if anyone could enlighten me i'd be extremely grateful! I have recently been diagnosed with PVFS, and i was wondering if anybody else has been or is in the same situation as me and just basically has anything to say to me, because I am getting really quite lonely and am starting to feel like I am alone. I am 15 years old. Thank you...
  2. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

Welcome aboard! I hope you do not feel so lonely after getting to know us a while! We are a loving bunch who are always supporting each other, and looking for new ideas or research that will improve our quality of life!
    Missymiss- It is sad to see you are so young, with the diagnosis. I have FMS(Fibromyalgia Syndrome)...and pardon my Ignorance- Does your PVFS have something to do with your age? Is it Fibromialgia? Please feel free to give us more info on your symptoms. My pain started when I was about 25. As FM, I had many "Tender Spots" on opposite sides of my body- I still do. I also have a broader type pain-Myofascial Pain Syndrome, involving tight bands or knots of the covering of the muscles & in the muscles-YUK it sounds GROSS doesn't it!! Anyway- I just hurt. So! take a look around and read some posts and get to know us...WE ARE HERE for YOU if you need us, OK?
    Come back and write again soon!
    Love,
    Fibromiester
  3. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

Hi everyone

I have had CFS/FM for around two years and have been reading all the messages on this website. I just want to say that I think you guys do a great job of supporting each other and I hope that I will also be able to support and help due to my experiences.

I live in London and am still working, although I find it a huge struggle most of the time. I love my job so most of my energy is spent ensuring I do it well. My doctor isn't wonderful (she refuses to admit I have CFS), although both a rheumatologist and a homeopath have confirmed this (both said I was a "classic" case - not sure how I felt about this).

I cope with a mixture of rest (when I can), spending time with my cats (which I find relaxing), aromatherapy (which I find useful for sleep problemks and severe pain) and a bit of yoga/stretching. I am not able to do any gym-type exercise at all.

I hope this is a sufficient introduction - let me know if you need to know more.

Regards

Sam
  4. missymiss

missymiss New Member

thank you to the people who replied to my earlier post, i can clearly see that this is a very friendly and inviting message board - thank god!

Yes... Nink.. PVFS is post viral fatigue syndrome, it was caused by glandular fever which i had for a year and a half, on and off, and it was a nightmare. Having said that, this is worse! But my mental state is improving and I am a lot more upbeat about everything than I was to begin with which is a great start I feel!

I used to dance as a main hobby, and possible career path, so right now I feel incredibly lost as I have had to take a break from it for 6 months my doctor said. I am currently working on my A/S level Dance supposedly, (i am doing my GCSE's this year, but in dance I am one year ahead) but I will probably have to give that in as well, and retake it at college. I don't mind so much though because I know its the best thing to do!

Would anyone care to tell me a little about themselves too? Just to make me feel more at home, if thats ok with everyone!

Thank you again everyone...
  5. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

welcome to the board.. this is a great place for support, venting, gaining knowledge about our illnesses, and relating to other people who really understand you. i believe that my illness began when i was 16 (i'm 25 now), i came down with mono among having other health problems and i don't believe i was ever the same. you learn to adapt to your body and you MUST listen to it...don't push it or it will set you back, but on the other hand, i also think that you should do your best to keep as active as possible. it's hard to find that happy medium, but eventually you will. We are here for you anytime and you are in my prayers.
    Peace and God bless, Dena
  6. irish.me

irish.me New Member

Hi MissyMiss, I joined yesterday and this is just a great place for information and support. So many nice people. I am so sorry to hear that you have PVFS..you seem so young to be in so much pain. I have a daughter who will be 16 tomorrow..she is heavy into drama. You kinda reminded me of her with your focus on life. Everyone here will make you feel right at home and are most helpful!!
    hugs,
    mary
  7. irish.me

irish.me New Member

Hi Sam and welcome to a great place. I am also new as of yesterday. Sorry we all have to meet under these circumstances though. I don't know near the amount that a lot of people here do, but am always willing to listen and be supportive.
    hugs,
    mary
  8. KarenL47520

KarenL47520 New Member

and I feel like I have found a home. I am having a terrible day and can't offer much more than a hi, hello, and welcome aboard.
  9. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

I hope you see this,
    I just wanted to tell you we're glad you're here- oh no, not for the reason you are here, huh! We all have to kind of stick together, it makes us stronger in a way.
    I was interested in the ways you said you "coped"...I like to do stretching, too, although I don't know any Yoga. It must be very relaxing. And Cats! Ah, Yes! They are Fascinating Creatures! I would like you to tell us more about your Aromatherapy - I don't recall anyone mentioning it specifically, as to how it helps...?
    So, Welcome Aboard, and come back often!
    Love,
    Fibromiester
  10. Frogdogger

Frogdogger New Member

HI, GIRL!! I'M SAYING HI FROM TEXAS. I HAVE FIBROMYLGIA AND MFS. GLAD I FOUND THIS FORUM RECENTLY. YOU SOUND SO SHARP AND TOGETHER FOR A GIRL YOUR AGE. I'M IMPRESSED. YOUR DIAGNOSIS REMINDED ME OF MY EXPERIENCE WITH WHAT WAS CALLED GLANDULAR FEVER WHEN I WAS AROUND 9. IT TOOK MONTHS TO GET DIAGNOSED BECAUSE MY PARENTS AND THE DR. THOUGHT I WAS FAKING AT FIRST. FINALLY DIAGNOSED THOUGH BLOOD WORK. BUT IT DEFINATELY SET ME UP FOR MORE OF THESE ATTITUDES DOWN THE ROAD TILL I WAS FINALLY PROPERLY DIAGNOSED SEVERAL YEARS AGO. PROBABLY BEEN ACTUALLY SUFFERING FOR AROUND 15 YEARS. I'M STILL LEARNING, TOO, THERE'S SO MUCH INFORMATION AND OPINIONS HERE. BUT, IT FEELS SO GOOD TO ALL BE IN THE SAME OR SIMILAR BOATS. GLAD YOU JOINED US. I USED TO DANCE, TOO!!