I'm New Here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KittyCat, May 10, 2003.

1. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

This board is so informative and I've gotten so much out of it. It's comforting to know that others are going through similar situations. For those of you that still work full-time outside the home, how do you deal with bosses that don't understand this illness - and how it can affect your ability to be productive?

Thanks to all.
  2. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Kitty Cat,

Hi there! Welcome to the board! i have been out of work since october (when i was fired for poor attendance because of my DD), but have just started doing an independent sales job for a certain makeup company. It's been great since I can work my own hours when I am feeling OK. I was looking for a job up until March when I finally accepted the fact that I could not work again. I would just end up getting fired again. But some of us live more productive lives than others.
    Do you work? How long have you had CFS/FMS?

Kathryn
  3. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hi Kathryn,
    Thanks for the welcome! I work full-time in an office. It's a busy job, but fortunately not stressful. Even so, it's very difficult to get up in the mornings because I'm so tired and achy. I've had CFS/FM for about ten years.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi KittyCat, welcome to our world. Glad you have found our board, lots of terrific people here.

I do not work out, so can't relate to that anymore, but we do have lots of others here who do and will be glad to share their experiences with you.

But I do know how you feel in the morning. If I want to go somewhere for 9am I would have to get up at 7am, have my clothes out the day before, and have my coffee on my night table, drink it before I got out of the bed.

Its very stressful in the mornings, it feels like the whole world is against you, and all you want to do is just go back to bed and blow everything off!

Again, welcome and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

Welcome to our board. Glad you were able to find us. The people here are very informative and helpful.

As far as working I can not tell you anything except that before I quit my job it was very stressful to work and feel like you have been hit with a mack truck. I'm on disablility for my back and did not know that I had fibro till November of 2002. I could not work then and I sure can't work now unless I tried a job at night for only a few hours. The mornings are the worst especialy if I did not get the sleep I needed. I find myself staying up later and later and sleeping later in the mornings. It is hard to get up even then.

The others here that still work will be able to help you more but I did want to welcome you to our board. This board really saved my life with all the questions I had.

I just brought another fibro book by Devin Starlany. It was the green book. It has allot of information in it plus tells you the drugs that help and the ones that don't really help. Best $20.00 I spent.

Again, Welcome. Janice
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi:

I would like to welcome you here. Sorry you are in the same boat the rest of us are, but glad that you found this website. I have found this to be a very caring place to visit.

As far as working, I haven't really told my boss about it. Although an article I wrote about FM just appeared in Friday's paper, so I have "finally come out of the closet" assuming that my boss and co-workers saw it in the paper. I was hesitant to put this in the paper, especially the part about what FM does to us mentally with lack of concentration and the fibro-fog. But I am tired of keeping quiet about this, and I figure as long as I do my job, no one can say anything.

Your question is a tricky one with no easy answers. Can you give your boss any info on FM (I assume that's what you have). Do you normally get any breaks during the day? If not, that can really make it rough. I have a half-hour lunch. I have found a quiet place on campus to go to and just rest during this time. I do secretarial work-what kind of work do you do? If you have a really physically demanding job, you will probably need to find something else to do. Sorry-don't feel I have been a lot of help, but know that those of us still working are facing these same problems and challenges every day.

Ellen
  7. bwoodruff

bwoodruff New Member

Hi Kitty! I'm new as well and have seen a great amount of information and support here thus far - Welcome!

I work a 40+ hour week in an office also, and some days can be a real challenge. I was diagnosed 7 years ago, and I've found that it's best just to have open, honest communication with your manager about your DD.

I am fortunate in that my manager's wife has (among other things) been diagnosed with it as well, so he at least has some idea what it is all about. I've got a lap-top at home, so I can work from home if necessary.

I put my clothes out the night before and make sure I get up when the alarm clock goes off, otherwise I'd never make it to work on time! My boss has seen me on days that I've been in pretty rough shape and should have probably stayed home but couldn't due to important work committments, so he knows what it looks like when I'm exhausted and in so much pain I can hardly walk or hold a pen, and days when I've got fibro-fog so bad I get lost in the middle of a sentence. He's seen it, so he can't deny it's existence. Try having an open discussion about your illness with your manager - give him the opportunity to learn about it and help you work out a good solution for you both.

Good luck!
  8. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Thanks much for the tips and suggestions. It really helps to have that support! I'll try having a chat with the boss. Maybe it'll help if he has an understanding of what I'm going through. All we can do is the best we can!