I'm new - what is a porchlight?

Discussion in 'New Forums Layout' started by Jaime123, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Jaime123

Jaime123 Member

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Jaime

Welcome to the Board.
    The porch is a thread with no topic. It was started a decade ago. Most threads
    are about a disease or a symptom or a med. The porch is a place to chat. You
    can post about what's going on with you. People discuss kids, recipes, movies,
    pets, pet peeves, as well as the ups and downs of their health problems.

When I was a kid in a small town many decades ago, people often sat on their
    front porch at night and chatted with the neighbors who walked by. Some stayed
    for a while. Lemonade and popcorn or home made cookies were often served.

After two pages, we start a new thread so the old one is marked "closed" and the
    new one is marked "open". Drop in and visit. If you have any questions, ask.
    There is usually someone with helpful info.

Rock
  3. jeffmccoy

jeffmccoy Member

Hi i also new member, nice to see you, i hope my suggestions helps you for what you exactly want to know.

In every culture, there is a place in one’s home of welcoming and gathering. Historically in North America, this place was often the porch (the outside entrance area of one’s home) where a home owner welcomes neighbours, friends and families.

Traditionally, when the porch light was on, it meant the home owner was at home and was providing a light to show the way up to their porch and inviting people in. They might ask you in for a cool drink, or a rest in the shade, or a hot tea and friendly conversation.

Through the Porch Light Program, this same warmth and welcome is extended to new women international students at Western.

At Porchlight, we help people who have nowhere to go and no-one to turn to; some people are homeless, others are struggling to cope with the pressures in their lives and need our support to keep on track.

As a charity working across Kent, we help vulnerable and isolated people get support with their mental health, housing, education and employment. We provide young people and adults with the advice, guidance and skills to live independently in the future, to play an active role in their local community and to fulfil their potential.

In 2014/15 we supported over 5000 people but we couldn’t do it without the hard work and commitment of supporters, partners, funders and staff, and of course, the people that we support.

Thanks
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Jeff,

I welcomed you under a different post but would also like to welcome you to the Porch. Rock has done a good job of explaining our Porch, or Porch Light, as it is often called.

Jaime, please drop in on the Porch too. Everyone there is a friend.

Love, Mikie
  5. Caravan164

Caravan164 Member

I really don't understand what Mikie is talking about!!!!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Caravan,

I'll try to 'splain it to you. Over on the Chit Chat Forum, we have an ongoing conversation and we call the thread, The Porch, because we want the conversation to be like one where friends gather on a porch to relax and keep current with one another's lives. We discuss most anything 'cept religion and politics. When we reach 30 or so posts, we start a new Porch (or Porch Light). We number them so we can post to the latest one. We are currently on number 875.

Perhaps the easiest way to figure us out is simply to visit the Porch and check it out. All y'all are welcome.

Love, Mikie