I'm Off To Atlanta

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll be back on Sat. Not too long. I just wanted to take my last chance to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving.

My symptoms of "Whatever-It-Is-Sjogren's?" have been bad for a couple of days but I'm a bit better today after resting up. I'm going to do a little lite cleaning around the condo so I don't come back to a mess. It's actually better for me to be up and active as it keeps the lymph nodes draining. Lying around isn't good but sometimes necessary.

Again, dear friends, I hope and pray that everyone feels well and has a very, very happy Thanksgiving.

Love, Mikie
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

So far, so good... weather's been good and I hope it stays that way!!! Wow, you're not staying very long tho, are you? I hope you have a good visit with your family...
    :)
    Victoria
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your good wishes. I had a wonderful time and I hope you both did too. I never stay too long. I'm not good at being away from home. As much as I love my kids, I don't like staying at someone else's home too long. I've lived by myself for more than 20 years now and I guess I've grown used to being alone.

We ate at a few small restaurants for lunch in the Smyrna area. I can't remember the names. We didn't venture downtown. On Black Friday, there were few people on the roads. I think they got up early and shopped the big box stores. We stuck with small shops.

It's soooo good to be home and I'm glad I had the energy to clean the condo before I left. It was nice to come home to a clean place.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

We're slowly getting settled in here... I think the 'knowing" we'll be here for a good while helps.

But yes, I'd appreciate being in our own place, and know I will be happy to be once again. Thankfully this house has proven itself to fairly easily accommodate all of us and our combined 9 dogs - even tho they have to be kept in 4 distinct groups LOL and we have to time their going out. (Wish you could see my eyes rolling LOL)

Small shops here were pretty vacant Friday too... my son went to WalMart yesterday afternoon and one of the cashiers told them they hadn't been that busy on Friday either (he also said they were not busy yesterday afternoon/Sat.). I'm thinking retailers maybe overall didn't have a realistic expectation unless they had super sales going.

Glad you got home safely... and glad the airports didn't turn out to be as awful as everyone feared with the new pat-downs going on...!!!

(hugs)
    Victoria
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

According to the news, there were more shoppers this year on BF than last year but that the dollar sales were only slightly higher. Because the stores opened so early, I think those that wanted the really good prices got up early to get them. Those items were stripped from the shelves early on. To me, it's madness but for some, it's just tradition and part of the fun.

We all have too much stuff and don't want more. We make donations instead of buying each other gifts. Of course, I still buy for Andy but not for the adults. Since we started doing this, our holidays are sooooo much less stressful and more meaningful.

We ended up with four dogs at my daughter's house. Their friend brought his two and my kids have two. They are all big dogs. They had a grand ole time romping out in the year and, of course, sharing in the turkey.

I have to venture out for drugs and food today. I'm tired but I know that moving around gets my lymph nodes moving. Also, I've decided to make some roman shades for my windows. Martha Stewart made some on her show years ago. It looks soooo simple. I went online and her directions, and many others' directions, are all there. I'm going to go to Joanne's because I'll bet they sell the cords and probably tape with eyelets for all the stringing up that is involved. I have white blinds because I've never found anything which controls the lighting better. They look OK as I've added side drapes or valences. I'm on the Neighborhood Watch and the pool area is my responsibility. I need to be able to see the pool without making it obvious who is watching. Blinds are perfect.

What I've decided to do is leave the blinds and mount the shades in front of them. That way, the blinds can be lifted and not be seen behind the lifted shades. The top of the shades will look as though they are valences for the windows, even when the blinds are let down. I can also lower the shades in front of the blinds and the window will look much better than with just the blinds. The best of all worlds!

Take care.

Love, Mikie
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

you had a really good Thanksgiving. I'm glad the weather was good here too. And glad that all the dogs got along! I sure wish ours could.

That sounds like a really good idea with the blinds and shades- should give you a bit more insulation as well. I couldn't do that with our windows, since they slide sideways instead of double-hung. At least not if I want to control light and air at the same time, I need regular curtains. I really like double-hung windows for a LOT of reasons, this being one of them. I think it's easier to control light, air and rain, etc. anyway.

I've seen patterns for roman shades, I agree they look completely do-able. Good luck, let us know how they turn out!

hugs,
    Victoria
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I got all the hardware for the shade. I'm using a tablecloth for the fabric for the prototype in the kitchen. Both Lowe's and Home Depot had sample shades in the stores. There are several ways to make them. On a couple, they really cut corners and still they look professional. I think I'll take the easy way out and make it simple for myself. They had several which weren't even lined. Since I have blinds to darken the room, I really don't need to line my shades and don't think I will.

I have vertical blinds on my sliding doors out to the lanai, with side drapery panels and a box-pleated valance. The decorating shows keep saying how outdated vertical blinds are but I can't find anything which would work better. The only time I draw them is in the morning to keep the rising sun out of the livingroom. At night, I leave them open so I can see the lighted fountain in the little pond out back. The pine trees have grown so much that they give me a lot of privacy in my livingroom. Of course, if I really want total privacy, I can draw the blinds. Again, nothing gives one as much control over light as blinds.

I actually had some energy today and felt like running around. Yesterday, I was pooped. I helped put up Xmas decorations at our entryway to our little village on Tues. and I think it caught up with me yesterday. I've felt better overall since I've been applying hot packs and massaging my lymph nodes. In order to keep the lymph nodes draining, I have to keep moving--an incentive to get off my ass :)

Take care.

Love, Mikie
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

That's what we all need, right? -incentive. My incentive this AM was trying to get our dogs home - they like to run by our neighbors. I'm sure our old neighbors are wondering why they're seeing these dogs after 2.5 years... we're soo far away from them, we don't actually see them often LOL.

Yeah... maybe it is age? but I see utility in things that the 'experts' would like us to consider old-fashioned or something. I totally agree the vertical blinds are best for sliders! I think we're all wising up these days, not only in 'fashion' but home decor... you think?
    ;)
    good luck!
    Victoria
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

L.L. Bean is bringing back the rubber duck boots and shoes. I should have hung onto mine which I wore in my 40's. Mom was right--everything comes back around. Of course, one doesn't exactly need those boots in the tropics. Also, when one has already gone through the fad once, it's hard to regress to the latest. Does that make sense? Oh well, half of what I say doesn't :)

I ran around too much yesterday and am a bit sluggish today. I rented "Sex And The City 2" and may just watch it in my jammies until it warms up this afternoon.

Good news is that my eyes are making tears like crazy since I've been putting the hot packs on them and massaging the eyelids. Bad news is that I now have bags under my eyes that I spent a fortune getting lasered to get rid of. I can't win. Whine, whine, whine! The lymph nodes on my neck and underarms are less swollen and painful too. I'm still thinking Sjogren's because of the plethora of symptoms which match perfectly. I hope I'm wrong but it's better to be prepared and take action now. I think this new fatigue is one of those symptoms.

I'm laughing thinking of your rounding up the pups. Maybe you need a sheepherding dog to round up the other dogs :)

Love, Mikie