I'm On A Rant About Healthy People

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Jan 11, 2003.

  1. Hippo

    Hippo New Member

    Need to add to my post below concerning Healthy People. As some of you may know, my husband is divorcing me and is trying to claim I can work. He sent me to a vocational evaluator last summer. The evaluator decided to send me to a rheumatologist, and I am a bit apprehensive. All of this is moving at a snail's pace, and I don't know the name of the person I am supposed to see. Bear in mind that I am housebound/bedridden. Anyway, I was telling this story to someone, and she said, "If your Ex's rheumatologist decides that you're not disabled, DO YOU HAVE TO GO BACK TO WORK RIGHT AWAY?" And I really had to bite my tongue to keep from yelling back: "What part of I CAN'T WORK do you not understand???"

  2. pearls

    pearls New Member

    If you possibly can, I think you need to enlist your own doctor(s) to put in a word for you. I don't know how to go about it, but surely their word is as good as whatever that other rheumatologist has to say.

    Pearl S.
  3. Hippo

    Hippo New Member

    Thank you for the suggestion. I already have six letters from six different doctors from 1987 to the present stating that I cannot work. If my Ex's rheumatologist decides I'm not disabled, then I may just have to get a seventh letter. I was just floored at the reaction I got.

  4. synergy42

    synergy42 New Member

    Hello, Hippo!

    Gee, hon,I really do hearya.

    I am so sorry to hear about your situation.

    Have you applied for Social Security? Perhaps that would be possible to get. I get SSD and don't know what I would do without it. I am just getting to the point where it's nearly all I have, and it's tough. Fortunately, though, my mother pays my Y membership so I can go to Aquacize. She also contributes to paying for my house cleaner services, without which I would go nutso.

    But SSD or SSI is what a lot of people live on, and somehow they manage.

    Another thing I would like to point out is that there is the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. There are ways for disabled people to work VERY part time in ways that they are able to accomplish. For instance, I teach one music student per week. I used to work on contract, where I did a lot of my work on my own computer from home, at whatever hours I chose. Contract work is GREAT. "Work" is not what you think it is.

    Disability advocates have been banding together for years and years to find ways where we can contribute and earn money, that will not injure us. Vocational REhab Depts. (Also known as Bureaus of Vocational Rehab) have Job Developers. These people are GENIUSES!!! Wow! They know everything. They can think of stuff that will blow your mind and get you all excited about stuff you never even thought of -- or had forgotten how much you really love to do, and then figure out how you can get paid to do it. The trick is finding a job Developer who you like a lot, and work with that person.

    Also; A VERY IMNPORTANT POINT; VRD/BVR is Federally Mandated to help determine whether/how/how much you can work or not, and also help you get Social SEcurity if you are deemed too disabled to work!!!! Since you have so much medical support, you are well ahead of the game, it would seem to me, anyway. The medical community and VRD/BVR are the two most importnat advocates we have. They are some of your strongest supporters by law.

    Another point: YOU ARE FREE TO SAY YES OR NO TO YOUR EX regarding whether to see this rheumatologist, are you not? You, an adult, can say yes or no to which ever medical practitioner you wish to see, isn't this the case? Why do you feel so obliged to see this particular doctor? Why not go to VRD instead? THEY will send you to a doctor if they want you to get SSD or SSI. That doctor's evaluation will be legally binding.

    So if you have not contacted them yet, I think you may wish to do so ASAP.

    And be sure to self-advocate so that you get workers that you feel very comfortable with, and really like! Make sure you have a good fit! People are poeple, and we don't fit with everyone, of course!! They have a lot of people working there, and will (or should) accommodate your desire and request to have a good fit for your worker.


    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2003]
  5. Hippo

    Hippo New Member

    Thank you for your reply. I don't qualify for SSDI because I haven't worked since 1987. I don't qualify for SSI because I am getting child support. I'll have to check into the other things you mentioned; I am pretty much bedridden. It's all I can do to take my children to school.

  6. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    I sure hope all works out well for you. What a trip, going to a doctor you don't know even his name. I do think you need to find this out. Then you could ask your own doctor what he/she thinks of this person.

    I am sending you good thoughts, and many blessings too!

    Shalom, Shirl
  7. genevieve

    genevieve New Member

    Hi Hippo,

    I am sorry to hear of all you are having to go through, I hope things improve for you soon. I thing the other posts are right in that if you can summon up your energy you need to try to defend yourself or get someone to help you do so.

    With love and every best wish for your future,