I'm really scared

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ritatheresa, Feb 11, 2006.

1. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

Well I got the results from my MRI, I have a 6 mm cyst on my parotid lobe, and another cyst in my sinus cavity, it also says I have mastoidits.

I'm freaking out, from what I've learned mastoidits is very serious and can lead to meningitis. Not to mention the two cysts.

I'm so afraid, all I keep thinking about is my baby girl.

I don't know where to turn anymore, I feel like this is going to kill me.

What do I do? I'm terrified
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You have the MRI results now. How are they going to treat this. My brother and another friend of mine both recovered from mastoid. Are they starting you on antibiotics?

Did they say cyst or polyp in the sinus? I think that both of these are non life threatening by the way.

What were your symptoms by the way? How long did you have them? How is the doctor treating you now? What are the plans?

I want you to know that all the above is very treatable. It is true the mastoid can lead to brain problems, but ONLY if they do not discover it and treat it.

Will you write me back with the answers so I can find out more about your treatment options.

Thanks and God Bless, love
    Anne
  3. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I am also a very cystic person, it's just scary because right away I think of the "c" word.

I'm concerned about the mastoiditis, this whole nightmare started with my ears.

Thank-you for calming me down.

I just feel so horrible day in and day out that some days it gets the best of me. I'll definately keep you posted.
  4. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

The neurologist ordered the MRI so my primary doesn't even know yet, I'm going to call him.

The results say right maxillary sinus cyst or polyp is seen.

I'm going to call my doc, I'll let you know

Spoke to doc, he's starting me on Levaquin for 14 days, He wants me to follow up with my ENT doc

I've been having problems with my ears since I was a child, chronic ear infections.

About 5 years ago it became really bad, fluid in the ears was the worst. I had an tube put in my left ear.

The symptoms never went away. I had throat surgery last year for sleep apnea. Didn't help any.

My most recent sleep study showed no stage 3,4 or REM sleep. (Not due to obstruction.)

The pain I'm having is the worst in the base of my skull, (doc said that where the mastoids are).

I stopped panicking so thank you SOOOO much. None of this makes any sense. I just wish I felt alittle better [This Message was Edited on 02/11/2006]
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

That doc has started you on the meds. Good, that WILL take care of the mastoiditis.

I think whether a cyst or polyp in the max. sinus. Most common would be polyp that can be shrunken down, as you will know, with cortosteroid spray.

I am unsure where the parotid is, I think it is above the eye, a sinus cavity.

You really have been through it. Sinus pain is terrible. Plus I know that head pain and neck pain can be unbearable.

I am pretty confident that meds will kick in and all will be well but your neuro needs to be in touch with you immediately about all of this so he/she can give you advice and extent opinions.

I do think this will resolve so please no more scaring yourself. We all do it, this living in fear all the time anyway, and then bum results make it worse. I think this is all recoverable from and not long term.

Much Love Anne

ps stop worrying about school with little girl. Best thing to do is to speak with teacher or counselor FIRST so they don't go making assumptions, just explain you are ill at the moment, in case they wonder about lateness. I keep my son off late many times usually because I need to to have him avoid certain teachers when hen is out of his special ed unit. Don't worry, the school counselor is meant to be there to assist you right now. They ,may even be able to help with an after school program or extended school year for your daughter if you explain.

6. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

Really I mean it, had I been left to my own devices I can't imagine what state of mind I'd be in.

With everyone's experience it really helps sooooo much.

I'm sorry I can't write to each person specifically cause I'll lose this post but I really do appreciate your concern.

As far as my daughter and school, this week was actually much better than most, I definately should go talk to the teacher and principal to see if there's any help for us.

My daughter is actually spending the weekend at my mom's house, so I've been just hanging around all day (of course after that major panic attack :)!!). Which for me is a beautiful thing.

Once again Thank you Thank you Thank you, I'll keep everyone posted, Ritatheresa

7. kjfms

kjfms Member

...you are having this problem. I wish you the best of luck. It does sound like this was found early and that is good. I hope you feel better soon.

It can be very scary when something is "found", so please do not feel bad about freaking out. I think the marjority of people freak out when a problem is found with their health, I know I have done so.

The Parotid Gland is the largest of the Salivary Glands and is located below the ear along the jaw line.

Is you cyst located in the superficial lobe or the deep lobe?

I certainly do not blame for freaking out about the Mastoiditis, I am sure it is very scary for you. A bone infection is something that would scare anyone.

Please keep in mind that that it is curable but may be hard to treat and may recur. Yes, Mastoiditis can have complications but that doesn't mean you will get them. It is like side affects of medications...just because they can happen doesn't mean they are going to...I am not making light of your situation, I am just trying to help you see the up side :)

I am sorry because I am sure you are having a lot of pain with this not to mention the stress.

I am sending good thought to you...take care,

Karen
  8. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

The cyst is in the superficial right parotid lobe.

I'm in so much pain, what's weird is that that is where I've been complaining of the pain for so long.

From what I've read for mastoiditis IV antibiotics are required.

I always feel like running to the ER but that is just a waste of time.

Today is Sunday, I'm in New York so we're really snowed in.

I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see what we should do.

I also have to go tomorrow to have bloods drawn from my endocrinologist.

Who knows what those test will show. UGH!!

I keep reminding myself, one day at a time.

I'll keep everyone posted, Ritatheresa