I'm really sorry I ever filed for SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bellesmom, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

Met with the attorney today and it was like I was up against a wall (another wall, that is).

This guy's wife and kids live in - get this - the south of France. OMG - I could not believe it and he was dissing me for not signing up for help from DSHS. I tried to tell him I'm not eligible, that we make too much. He said you don't know until you've tried what you can get. And then you'll get accepted at the doctors and then MAYBE you'll get some paper backup for your disability claim.

I was so let down that I tried to cry and I don't even have the energy to do that.

I did sign up with him to help me because I kind of felt like it takes too much energy to keep trying new people, etc. I was so worn out when I left that my husband said I looked worn out (more than usual).

I am just venting, I will be fine. But am terrifically disappointed. I told him I came to him for help not to get in a disagreement about Basic Health and he said well, I don't know what you expected here. This is a Social Security Disability Claims attorney talking. He told me I didn't have enough diagnoses and when I asked him if he recommended any doctors he avoided it until I asked him three or four times and reluctantly gave me the name of a clinc.

I didn't think my time with this guy would go this way and I just had to say - you shouldn't ever try to this disability money unless you want trouble.

That's all for now

Pam
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This guy must be very successful to be able to live like this. I am a little put off at his reluctance to recommend a doc because usually these guys want docs who will document your condition. When a disability atty. tells you you do not have enough documentation, listen to him. He is telling you that you will not win your case unless you have more to show SSD. Did you happen to ask him what his win ratio is. SSD applicants are successful 50 percent of the time with or without an atty, so if his rate isn't a whole lot better than this, I would find someone else.

There is a lot of info from an atty here in our library. It seems that if you take opiods and see a therapist for depression, your chances for winning go waaaay up. Also, your atty. should have your docs sign a document that you qualify for SSD under SS's own listing 1.02.

My atty. said to me, "Do I think you have a good case? No. Do I think I can win your case? Yes." He has a high win ratio (in the 90s).

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I was up late last night and never did see a response to this so it made me glad this morning to at least see one response.

This guy said his office's win ratio was 90%. Can I believe that? He is too young a man to have a family in France by the way.

I didn't feel him to be helpful but I signed the papers to continue with him.

I also looked up the healthcare situation under DSHS and in Washington State where I live and I was correct in what I told him. We make too much to be eligible and if I went in the open pool (the only other option I'm aware of) it would cost me between $700 and $900 a month. I don't think he knows much about our state.

Can I fire him? It's only been one day since I went there.

Thanks for any help I can get. I realize I don't have the paperwork and am sincerely ready just to give it up. I, too, thought he would know of the doctors he would want me to see.

Thanks
    Pam
  4. robin

robin New Member

Sounds like you have a real B---- for an attorney!
    Not a people person! I am so sorry! I hope you
    find some decent support and help soon! Doesn't sound
    like your attorney really wants to help...just argue.

Keep us updated on this?

Robin
  5. baby-bear

baby-bear New Member

he just wants your money!!!! Hang in there...listen to Mikie...Im not real familiar with this but im very familiar with people taking other peoples money even when they know in the beginning its a no win situation! Just my 2 cents...Pammy
  6. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

should give up on your fights for disability. You all probably have more "problems" than I
    do and will make it someday.

I told my husband a while ago I think I'll just give it up. I'm going to start getting early
    social security retirement at the end of April and while I won't have Medicare maybe we
    can somehow make it. I would wish my other friends on the board would have this
    coming (not my age, just my early Soc Sec - ha ha).

God bless you all for your help - I seriously don't know what I would do without the
    people on this board.

Pam
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

SSD is a huge government welfare program. No not welfare for the people who get benefits, they have earned it. It's a welfare program to put people to work who probably would otherwise be unable to obtain a job. Now, there are some caring, kind, and skilled people who work at SS, but the overwhelming majority are robotic beaurocrats who could give a rat's ass about you or anyone else. They play the game to discourage you and stress you out to the point you will give up.

The sooner one stops looking at this from a logical standpoint and starts looking at it as a game, the better off one is. The idea is to beat them at their own game. This takes persistance and a plan. The one who is armed with more paperwork and stays the course is usually the one who wins. They really don't mind letting someone win every now and then as long as they can discourage most of us. After all, if no one ever won, their jobs would become unnecessary.

This last paragraph is the most important thing anyone will ever tell you about winning your case.

I don't know how one goes about firing one's lawyer. I had to sign an agreement and I don't remember what it said about either party backing out. You could call another disability atty's office and ask them, or you could simply call this atty. you signed with.

My case has been through two refusals and the hearing was set for Dec 9. The judge took early retirement and SS has not reset the hearing. It's 90 days past when it was supposed to go to court. I'm waiting it out as long as I can. If I get approved, it's going to be a big check and I deserve it. I am prepared to lose because I understand that in the end, it is just a game.

Love, Mikie
  8. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I've never been very good at games, tho. Maybe it's time I was.

I've been off again and on again about this whole thing since I knew I would have a terrible time getting backup medical (objective) evidence. If I had one other diagnosis to go with the FMS/CFIDS it might help but I don't ever want to ask for trouble.

What would this board do without you, Mikie???

Love
    Pam
  9. kadeedidit

kadeedidit New Member

I don't know if this will help but i'll put it on here anyway. Seems like so many people with FM are having trouble getting their disability.
    I got accepted the first time I applied. I received my first check about 6 months after I applied.
    The paperwork is horrid as you all know but I think what got mine sent through was a letter wrote by a psychologist that done testing on me. I was sent by a neurologist to a place in Missouri called the Rusk Rehab Center. I went through a whole day of testing and when they were finished the doctor come in and ask me........Have you thought about applying for your disability??? I told him no and he told me he would write a letter to submit and he backed me and I think thats why it went through so easily. I must have flunked those tests bigtime......lol. Maybe some of you have already been through this type of testing but if you haven't and can find a doc like I found it makes things a lot easier........KADEE
  10. Megster

Megster New Member

Just wanted to encourage you to hang in there. I didn't have enough med reccords to back up my case initially, and my PC doc wasn't much help, but I went to a myofacial therapist who filled out the paperwork my lawyer gave me and stated that I could not even do sedentary work (as defined by SS). He then reccomended an MD familiar with myofacial pain who filled out the same paperwork in almost exactly the same way. Also had a therapist that said I could not work due to depression/anxiety. In some ways, it's hard on the ego, but with this DD, we deserve some compensation!!!

I don't know about firing your lawyer, but there should be some way to if he continues to be unhelpful. If he doesn't have specific forms that Drs can easily fill out, it would be better to find another one, at least in my experience. From the letter the judge wrote approving mine, the forms were the biggest thing that turned the trick.

Blessings,
    Meg
  11. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

That's interesting. My lawyer never offered ANYthing. But the paralegal who took my first info over the phone before I ever saw the "lawyer" was so positive about the whole thing I guess my mouth must have dropped open when I had my 1st appt. The guy kept telling me whatever it is you expected here is not what's going to happen. And he kept harping on me getting on the state insurance which I never have been eligible for (besides, Washington State governor is cutting Basic Health people by 60,000 right away). So I don't think the guy is comfortable with me as a client.

I am going to write an e-mail to him and cut it off. I don't think they've had time to begin my paperwork process within their office. The paralegals probably do everything for the doggoned attorney anyway. Besides - he'll probably be too busy visiting his wife and kids in France to bother with me.

Thanks for the helpful reply. I have really given up because I cannot get pointed in the direction I need to go. Doctors won't see me because I have no insurance and I know I need to be re-assessed to prove I have what has been told to me. I feel like I'm tied up in ropes over this thing.

Your replies have been so helpful. Don't quit now, okay? I know this is bound to help many of us, not just me.

Love
    Pam
  12. athome

athome New Member

The library on this site has some really good info on how important it is to apply and having a plan when you do. My best acts were:
    1)A good internist who tested and Docmented severe FM, CFS, longterm depression.
    2) a psychiatrist who treated me w/ appropriate meds for 9+ months.
    3) Therapist I saw for above conditions plus brain fog had secretary type EXACTLY what my responses were to the report questionnaire they had her do with me.
    4)DOCUMENTATION! Friends who filled out those questionnaires went over them carefully with me to insure good "tone of voice." Letters of my resignation from job due too illness, of firing due to confusion from part-time attempt to work, copies of diagnoses from all doctors.
    5) Talked very slowly and patiently w/SS personnel, as if this was a win-win and I needed their help. I was careful with every form filed, and got my SSI the first try. I did live with friends and have to rely on my kids for help for 18 months, tho, so it was your very basic standard of living.
    Still is, but I think it's the best thing that ever I did, as I now concentrate on quality of life and contact instead of tearing about stompng toget results and passing up people caring for work. It just wasn't worth it and very nearly killed me.
    Good luck to you. And don't give up!
  13. twinkles

twinkles New Member

IT IS VERY IMPOTANT FOR YOU TO REALIZW THAT YOU DO HAVE A DISABILITY AND THAT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO THE $$$. MY WIFE WENT THROUGH HELL FOR 1 YEAR(POOR WOMAN) BUT WE DID GET APPROVED THE FIRST TIME AND GOT THE MONEY(RETROACTIVE)6 MOS LATER. EVERY DOCTOR WE WENT TO, I KEPT ALL THE RECORDS AND PHARMACY RECPTS.AN INTERNIST, AFTER A
    COLONOSCOPY, UPPER & LOWER GI SERIES EVERYBLOOD TEST,URINE TESTS AND EVERY OTHER TEST TO FIND OUT WHAT THE PAIN IS COMMING FROM. HE BELIEVED MY WIE THAT THE PAIN WAS REAL, BUT IN HIS AREA OF EXPERTISE, HE COULDNT DISCOVER IT. HE RECCOMMENDED A PSCHYIATRIST-FOR THE SOLE REASON OF FIGHTING THE DEPRESSION CAUSED BY HAVING PAIN AND NO ONE CAN FIND OUT WHY(HE ALSO DIDNT GIVE PAIN MEDS AS HE DIDNT KNOW WHAT PAIN IS FROM). HE ALSO RECOM. A 2ND OPINION FROM A CHIEF INTERNEST AT UNIV OF MIAMI. HE ALSO DIDNT FIND ANYTHING. THE PSCHYITRIST ALSO BELIEVED MY WIFE AND HE MENTIONED FIBRO.HE HAD SOME PAITIENTS WITH IT AND SD ONLY A RHEMOTLOGIST CAN DIAGNOSE FMS.WE WENT TO 2 RHEUMOTOLOGISTS UNTIL WE LUCKED OUT WITH ONE WHO KNEW OF FMS; BELIEVES IN FMS AND STARTED A PROGRAM OF PAIN RELIEF. THROUGH ALL OF OUR RUNNING AROUND, I KEPT NOTES, GOT COPIES OF ALL DOCTORS REPORTS AND COPIES OF MRI'S. WE CALLED SOCIAL SEC ADMINIS AND THEY MAILED US A FORM TO FILL OUT. I FILLED OUT THE FORM AS MY WIFE COULDNT HOLD A PEN.I SENT THEM ALL THE REQUESTED INFO I HAD INCLUDING DOCTORS NAMES.THE FORM WE FILLED OUT SHOWED THAT MY WIFE WAS A GOOD WORKER WHO COULD NOT FUNCTION IN LIFE;WHETHER FROM DRIVING TO HOLDING A HAIR BRUSH; IT ALL WAS PAINFULL.
    I HOPE TIS OUTLINE GIVES YOU SOME IDEA OF HOW TO FILE YOURSELF FOR SSD. THE JOB MY WIFE IS CAPABLE OF NOW(HAVING BEEN A CREDIT ANALYST BEFORE) IS SHE WILL BE ABLE TO PUSH THE BUTTON TO OPEN A DRAWBRIDGE; SHE JUST WONT BE ABLE TO TELL WHEN SHE COULD DO IT.
  14. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Hi Pam, I had to fire my representative and this is a copy of the letter I wrote:
    Dear Sir or Madam:
    This letter is to inform you that I no longer wish to have your company assist me with my Social Security disability claim. I was under the presumption from your language that this was a law firm. As of now, any contract or agreement that I have with Allsup Inc. is to be terminated. I am unhappy with the manner in which you have presented your company, therefore I have chosen legal representation elsewhere.
    Sincerely,

I made 3 copies, 1 went to allsup, 1 went to the social security office where I filed my claim and the other is in my records. I mailed them certified mail and requested a returned reciept which gave me verification that someone had signed for the letter. Once all of that is done, you are released of any obligations to this attorney. I hope this helps Pam. Good luck and don't give up.
    Ciao 4 now
    Sandy
  15. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

The reason I ask is a gal I've known for 25 years went thru then back before CFS was accepted as a diagnosis and got her disability with their help. She also had additional problems which helped.

But - she's been on disability with their help for 15 years, I think it is.

Anyway - I got brave and did e-mail this guy that I did not want him representing me after all. I just saw him Friday the 28th so I don't think they would have done anything over the weekend with it. He was very reluctant anyway. Think I did the right thing but I don't know what to do now!

Pam