I'm really worried

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, May 29, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

As most of you know I am schedule to have neck surgery next week. My neurosurgeon ordered a physical with my regular dr. and bloodwork. Well, the blood work came back with highly elevated liver enzymes. I'm scheduled for an ultrasound 2 weeks after surgery but I'm freaking out about this.

The more I read about this on the web the more scared I become.

I suppose I should remain calm until I can talk to my dr. tomorrow. It could be a problem with the gallstones I know I have that they keep poo-pooing. But then I read about Hepatitis, etc.

Oh, I also have to start taking a cholesterol medication. My levels were extremely high with that as well. I kinda figured that one would be since my family has a horrible time with cholesterol.

Man, it is hell getting old! LOL
  2. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I don't know that much about the liver other than taking meds can raise the enzymes. I had a problem with that when I was in a study.

I stopped the meds and the enzymes went back to normal, I hope it is something that simple for you.

I will keep you in my thoughts.

Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery as well,

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Surgery is scary, and it's hell gettin' old.

I have some good news tho. As you know, everything and anything can be found on the net. I searched for "monica33flowers, bad back surgery" and nothing came up.

So you see, nothing to worry about.

Also searched for "peonies and ants". Got 44,700 hits. Have not quite read them all yet, but most sites say the the ants neither help nor harm the flowers. They are just looking for sweet plant secretions.

If you want to take the flowers, but not the ants inside, put the flowers upside down in a bucket of water. The ants will swim away.

4. Juloo

Juloo Member

Don't borrow trouble!

My doc had me do an ultrasound as well because of continuously high liver enzymes. The result? Absolutely fine.

I take a lot of meds and supplements, and no doubt that contributes to it as well. I now do a liver detox (I use milk thistle, but there are others -- that's just what works for me...) every so often.

Just take one thing at a time. One of my doctors (pre-CFS) was *convinced* that I drank like a fish. I barely touch alcohol...so much for that wisdom!

I hope everything goes well for your neck surgery.

P.S. Please be careful with statins if that is what you are on. Even the non-statin drugs I've taken for cholesterol end up giving me pain after a couple of months. I know this because when I stop taking them, most of the pain ALSO stops.
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Absolutely stay off the web!! It can drive you temporarily insane, creating alot of undue anguish for you, and the stress factor can then make you flare. The last thing you want is to be in a major flare going into surgery.

6. ckball

ckball New Member

I agree with everyone else. If it was serious your Dr would postpone your surgery.

Just stay positive and get past your surgery then they will take care of the rest. We are all here for you-Take care and don't sweat the petty stuff or pet the sweaty stuff-Carla
  7. springwater

springwater Active Member

I was very sick for a period of one year when i was told my liver was swollen a bit....but he just gave me liver capsules and i seem to be all right now...at least the liver is.

Please dont worry. And may your surgery turn out just fine. They almost always do.

God Bless
  8. poets

poets Member

Please try not to worry. I had back surgery and had to give four units of my own blood for the surgery over a month's time. Every unit had high enzymes. My doctor told me that even too much aspirin can raise levels in some people. I was taking a lot of medicine back then. They are normal now. And yes, I agree with you that it certainly is h--- getting old!

Please keep us posted and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

9. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

As everyone said, do not worry about this. I'm 46 and had high liver enzymes and the dr said it could just be a bit of a fatty liver and nothing to worry about. My next blood test revealed the numbers went back to normal.

I am taking Zocor for cholesterol and have had no problems with it at all. My cholesterol is not super high, but my endo put me on it due to my diabetes.

Rock....you are too funny...."monicaflowers-bad back surgury" LOL.
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Try not to worry, Monica - and stay off the web! It's like drug warnings: they must include every possible glitch known to man (and woman) in order to protect their bee-hinds. For instance, if we paid attention to every word that's written, we'd never take anything, not even aspirin or have surgery of any kind. Of course, we'd soon have ourselves worked into stress-related issues that we didn't have when we began. That said, of course problems can occur but they're not the norm.

Most important of all, keep a positive spirit! That's 95% of success. And listen to Linda. She's a nurse and just went through a neck surgery.

Meanwhile, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers. AND you'll be just fine.

11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say hi to you and try not to worry so much about everything. Yes, also as others have said try and stay off the web for this anyway. They can give you to much info and like Juloo said, Don"t look gor trouble". The doc would have cancelled or postponed th surgery if there were sings of problems.

Just wanted to wish you very good wishes on your neck surgery. I am sure you will be fine. We will send prayers up your way. We just got back in town yesterday.

Hey, BTW sweetie, I agree with you about getting OLD . However, my dear you are a young kid !!(next to me anyway).

12. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I can't give you any advice on the situation, but I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and that you will be in my prayers daily regarding your neck surgery and these tests.

I am thinking of you and I am sure everything will be fine. Keep us apprised of your doctor visit tomorrow.

13. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I just want to say a big thank you to all of you for helping me set my mind at ease about this little set-back. I know I shouldn't worry but I do. I just don't trust dr.'s after my father's cancer. It should have been caught earlier and wasn't and my dr. is an associate of the dr. who treated my father so I constantly try to stay informed about what may be happening.

Even with my fibro....I went in to see the dr. and took in all my reserach and told him I believe I have fibro. He did the tender point test and said, "Yep, you have fibro." This after years of unexplained pain.....I could have kicked in the groin I was so mad.

So, I feel I need to be very active and do the research myself as to what may be happening because this is my body and I have it only for this one life....the dr. does this only for his job.
  14. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Some oif the meds you take may be reducing folic acid and this can play havoc with liver enzymes. I would try not to worry. Also what is now considered High Cholesterol is really unfounded. Good cholesterol used to be 250 total until they came out with statins they want to sell. The doctor who came up with the cholest. idea researched it for 30 years and concluded that unless it was very elevated along with tryglycerides, that it was probably homocistein that had an effect. I think not to worry unless you have at least four other things going on as well.

Just relax, do the surgery if you feel it can help and prayers to you.

Love Annie
  15. LenoreR

LenoreR New Member

Hi Monica,

Everyone has given you great advice. Let me tell you a quick story about being in your shoes.

I had surgery very recently. Did the pre op and guess what? High liver enzymes. Re did the bloodwork two days later, enzymes were fine. Surgery went fine. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV <grin>, but my guess is that you are just fine and that day they did the bloodwork your liver was extra busy working on something, so not to worry.

The high cholesterol/take drugs shoes I have also walked in. Please be careful as statins raised my CK levels (shows inflammation) and really exaserbated my CFS/FMS. I went off for three months, on another, and those CK levels just shot up again. I've been off statins for over a year and haven't had a heart attack yet, so on this one I decided to err on the side of my CK levels.

Best of luck on your surgery. I remember two weeks ago how scared I was. But now, look at me, writing to you, to give support. I survived and so will you. The advice you got to think good thoughts was what worked for me. I wanted to be "back on track" in time to watch my daughter and almost stepdaughter graduate next week; and you know what, I'll be there to watch!

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way,
  16. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I would think that before surgery the docs would order tests to see if you have hepatitis B or C. Anyhow, tests are available to put mind at ease.

Gallstones are fixable (remove stones or gall bladder). Hepatitis has been serious in past, however some very interesting research happening now.

While new meds availability always seem to be two years ahead, some very good med treatments online for hepatitis.
    Cures in two weeks type meds.

Hoping that neck surgery goes well. Mr Bill

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Can affect liver enzymes, as can other problems. BTW, I just read that carbs are what elevate cholesterol, as well as genetic tendencies. Studies where people with high cholesterol went on low-carb diets showed cholesterol levels dropping. Dr. Atkins and Suzanne Somers have been telling us this for years but now, mainsteram medicine is taking a look.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

Love, Mikie