I'm scared...test results came in

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kimberly236, Apr 10, 2007.

1. kimberly236

kimberly236 New Member

Hi all. I just got my test results back today. My EBV VCA IgG was 1851 (positive is anything over 120). My HHV6 was 1:160, which is considered postive.
    My doctor wants me to start on Valtrex, at first 3000 mg/ day for 1 week then down to 1000 mg/day. I'm scared, because I have heard that the herxing can be awful. How will I know if it's making me worse or better? Also, I have read that Valtrex doesn't even work against HHV6. I know there are some transfer factors out there that target EBV and HHV6, but I have no idea which ones to take and if I can take them with the Valtrex.
    Does anyone here have any advice? I don't know why I'm surprised the tests were positive--I feel like I have mono all over again. It's just a little scary.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    -Kimberly
  2. sturg1

sturg1 New Member

Hi Kimberly,

I'm not on anti-virals, but am taking TFs for both of your viruses. I take Wellness Transfer Factor (it is a general target) and Immune Care64 (which targets EBV and HHV6A).

I'm up to 3 pills of each a day. I did herx big time when I started them.

Not sure about mixing with anti-virals, though.

Good Luck!
    Sturg
  3. Issa77

Issa77 New Member

Wellness Transfer Factor and Immune Care64 (which targets EBV and HHV6A)???

Thanks
  4. sturg1

sturg1 New Member

Wellness is the brand name for the Transfer Factors and Immune Care 64 is also a brand name.

Do a search on this website, there is a ton of info on TFs. I am still learning about them.
    Hope that helps...
    Sturg
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

The same week I went on Valtrex, most all of my pain went away. I didn't herx at all, in fact, it was just the opposite. I stayed on Valtrex for an entire year, then I was switched to another antiviral.

As for your results, I haven't tested positive for HHV6, but my last EBVs were in the 4500's, and they fluctuate from about 2000 and up.
  6. kimberly236

kimberly236 New Member

Thanks for your responses. I didn't realize that herxing wasn't part of taking an antiviral. To be honest, the first time I had ever heard of herxing was a couple weeks ago, so I'm pretty ignorant I guess! I'm really hoping that the Valtrex will help some of my mono-like symptoms (fatigue, fever, sore throat, swollen glands.)
    Should I try taking transfer factor with the antiviral, or is it one or the other?
    Thanks,
    Kimberly
  7. JCD

JCD New Member

I went through all that at the F&F clinic and it did nothing to help at all. My levels were still high at the end of the treatment and they basically said it couldn't be treated. I'm back to where I started - antidepressants. Everyone is different, I would advise against it as the whole treatment made me feel worse.