I'm Scared

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen728, Aug 30, 2003.

1. karen728

karen728 New Member

It's been a long time since I've posted, mostly because I was doing better. Unfortunately, that has changed. I've been having trouble driving and felt off balance. Just got ear test results back that confirmed Positional Vertigo. My Doctor now wants me tested for MS. He doesn't think I have MS but he needs me tested. I'm scared. I have no other symptoms of MS. Does anyone have any insight on this subject? YOur help is appreciated. I'm going for an MRI on 9/11 (I know, great day, huh?)

P.S. - my imbalance all started after having my wisdom tooth out.

thanks,

karen
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Welcome back, but sorry you are having yet another problem.

Sometimes wisdom teeth do strange things, have you told your doctor or dentist about the possible connection with the tooth?

ssMarilyn was having problems like you described, maybe you might want to make a post to her if no one here can help.

Hope you get to the botton of this soon......

Shalom, Shirl
  3. karen728

karen728 New Member

Thanks Shirl for welcoming me back. Is Jackie still on the board too?

I do have a call into my dentist, but I should call the surgeon who pulled the tooth. I also mentioned it to the ENT Doctor and he said it could have triggered the imbalance but it can also be a coincidence. I guess the MRI will tell.

I'm sure wondering if others have balance problems with Fibro. This would be a new symtom for me. I don't have vertigo, it's just that I'm not steady on my feet when standing still. I sway back and forth.

Thanks again,

Karen
  4. josie02

josie02 New Member

i have vertigo i dont know if its from fm or what its from i have meds for this it dosent bother me often i sway back and forth when standing still mom is there to grab on to me incase i look like i am falling. josie
  5. sanlee

sanlee New Member

Hi
    I've dealt with this vertigo off and on for most of my life. I found out that a simple case of fungus in the ear can affect balance. Have you tried hydrogen peroxide mixed with alcohol drops in the ear? At first, it makes the vertigo worse, but after a minute it gets better if there are 1. fungus or 2. mucous blockages. It's cheap and simple and I hope it works for you.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If it is blockage in the ear, peroxide will help. Sanlee is right, although I was just told to use peroxide in an eye dropper, let it fizz, then rinse the ear with plain warm water to clean it out with one of those ear syringes.

Or you can buy 'Murine' Ear Drops, they are for removing eax from the ear. They also have peroxide in them.

I use this for myself and also my Pit Bull, the vet told me to do so. He gets build up of wax, and it will make him walk with a wobble,and shake his head when he has a build up of wax.

HOpe you find the cause of the problem soon.

Shalom, Shirl

7. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I have FM and yes problems with balance for years. Run into walls and can think I am about to fall when standing still.

Good luck on your MRI. I've had several and nothing has ever been found, so that's good and bad. LOL! I just get tired of having tests and they all come back negative, therefore nothing they can do to help.
  8. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have always had an off-balance problem that comes and goes. When I first became sick more than 15 yrs. ago, I had suffered a whiplash injury w/o treatment and also mono. I had difficulty holding my head up while driving. Now, I have chronic pain in the neck and shoulders. When driving, it just seems like there is just too much stimulus driving on the interstates, esp. w/ trucks, where I start to feel anxious. I like country roads or familiar roads.
  9. kjan9

kjan9 New Member

HI Karen,
    I went through all of that too and I would say to you just try to relax. Because I had worked my self up when it came to the MS ruleout stage of my diagnosis. I had and still have the double vision and all that stuff with no explation aside cfids I was ruled out twice for MS. About the dizzines and vertigo. I 've dealt with that off and on too. Even this high pitched ringing that woke me in the dead of sleep! After using trazadone to sleep it finally stopped. Also looking back I was taking Prozac all was good til my prescription came up missing (my husband them had flushed them!) and during the 3 weeks of not having them several times a day I would have a weird diziness! Did'nt figure out why til I went back on the Prozac and it stopped! After that experience I decided to ween myself from Prozac since I did'nt see a overall improvement in symptoms and the withdrawal symptoms scared me!!
    Maybe I helped?
    Karen (kjan9)
  10. selma

selma New Member

I just call myself "Dizzy Dean"
  11. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

KAREN , I 1ST BECAME ILL WITH THIS/THESE DD'S ON DEC. , 18TH , 2000. ( I DON'T KNOW WHY I REMEMBER THAT DATE WHEN I CAN'T SEEM TO REMEMBER MUCH ELSE....) BALANCE PROBLEMS ARE NOT UNUSUAL WITH CFIDS , FM , OR ANY OF THE RELATED DD'S. I KNOW HOW HARD IT CAN BE TO RELAX. BUT , IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE , THAT BEING SCARED & WORRY TENDS TO MAKE THINGS SEEM WORSE THAN THEY ACTUALLY ARE. AT TIMES , IT SEEMS I DEVELOP NEW " CHALLENGES " EACH DAY. BUT FEAR & WORRY DOESN'T SEEM TO HELP ME. HOPE THIS HELPS SOME...... TAKE CARE & BLESSINGS !!!!!!! BILLCAMO.
  12. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Haven't had many balance problems myself, but I did start out with nothing but neurological problems, and doctors always try to rule out MS first as a cause.... not trying to give false hope, it's good to have MS testing & MRIs, you never know, but don't be too nervous yet, it's always the thing docs want to test for and rule out.

The tooth thing does seem suspect because of the timing of it....do call the surgeon, he deals with wisdom teeth all the time; he should be able to tell you if thei imbalance is ever something patients complain about afterward, even if rarely.

Good luck with the MRI... I hope the balance thing is only temporary, I've had numerous nuero symptoms crop up & then fade over my 4 1/2 years with FM. Do let us know how things go, OK?

(((Hugs for you))) & try not to worry,
    Pam
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome back. Jackie is no longer here.

When I first got sicker, about three years ago, I could hardly walk without hanging onto something. As I've gotten better, the dizzyness has pretty much gone away but my balance isn't as good as it used to be.

Having anything done to the teeth can trigger problems with balance and ear infections will definitely do it. My SIN has TMJ problems which make him hard of hearing and gives him vertigo once in a while.

Your doc is just being thorough, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. From what I have read, most people with MS and FMS are diagnosed with the MS much earlier on and the FMS seems to come later. My prayers are with you.

Love, Mikie
  14. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

Hi Karen, I know exactly how you feel. I had that problem 2 years ago, and still get very dizzy and disoriented a lot. I took numerours tests, my ENT dx mineares disease, put me on 2 mg of valium, really didn't help, also he had me to lay on my left side to let fluid drain from my ear. To this day i still have not had any positive progress. I just think it's just another nasty symptom of FM we have to deal with. Hope this helps. ((((((((Gentle Hugs)))))))))) Regina
  15. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi karen,
    Im so sorry to hear of your problems.
    I pray everyday fore everyone on this site & every other fibro site everywhere as i know we value prayers so much.
    Hope this helps i really do & i hope you get sorted out soon.
    Soft hugs (((((((((((((((((((God bless you sharon d

[ advertisement ]