I'm searching for someone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LadyC, Jun 26, 2007.

1. LadyC

LadyC New Member

When my mom was about 2 years old her mother passed away. Her father then gave her away to her mom's friend who raised her as her own daughter.

In later years my mom found out that she had other siblings. Many times over the years she has expressed the desire to find them.

Mom will be 70 this year and I would like find them for her but I don't have a lot of money and have no idea how to make it happen.

I found an obituary for her dad who passed away about 8 years ago. I then went online and found addresses for everyone with her father's last name in the city that she was born. I mailed letters and sent emails and even made phone calls to several people. I received a few responses, but none that helped. I called the person listed as his wife in the obituary and she seemed very frail and just kept saying that I had the wrong person. I didn't want to keep bothering her so I hung up and have not called again.

Any idea what else I can do to find my mom's family?

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Try doing a re-title on your post to reflect that you're looking for lost relatives.

About a year ago, someone mentioned this and we actually have a member on this board who can help you with suggestions and how she does what she does.

I'm sorry I can't remember the poster's name but they do know how to find people by using online resources.

Nancy B
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

That is the name of a search function for people across the US. It's a pay site - $10 a month. You can search on name and by state or all states.

Pretty fun site if you just want to spend time looking up long lost friends.

Good luck!

Oh yeah, how do you find email addresses for people you don't know?

4. LadyC

LadyC New Member

Thanks budmickl and hugs4evry1. I'll try both suggestions.
  5. LadyC

LadyC New Member

I actually found my mother's sister. One of my random phone calls paid off. That person put me in touch with someone else who directed me to someone who turned out to actually be my cousin. She in turn gave me my mom's sister's phone number.

I called her but she didn't seem too thrilled. When I began telling her the story she informed me to call her back later when her phone minutes are free.

I don't want to read too much into the conversation just yet. I plan to call her back later. Hopefully it will go well.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2007]
  6. LadyC

LadyC New Member

It went GREAT!!! 06/30/07 07:49 AM

I called mom's sister back when her minutes were free. She was eagar to talk. She even talked about meeting me when we were both kids and actually spending time with me. She remembered ,meeting my brothers also.

Then we talked about whether she would contact Mom now or wait until her birthday. Her birthday is 07/29 and seemed too far away. We were both excited and decided to do a 3-way right then,

When I called my mom I told her I had an early birthday present for her and asked did she want it now. Of course she did. Then I just said "OK present" and mom's sister said "hello".

Mom was so thrilled. We found out that she was actually raised as an only child also and that she lost her mom also.
    I put the phone down after a while and just let them talk. They talked for quite a while.

I called my mom back later and she was crying and just kept saying "thank you, thank you, thank you". She said this was the best present I could have ever given her.

I'm so happy!!!