I'm seeing a naturopath.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Nov 7, 2002.

1. tes

tes New Member

and I was wondering if anyone can give me any good advice. I have a long wait before I see my rhemy for the first time and I was referred to a naturopath in the mean time. My regular doctor suspects I have fibro and is sending me to rheumy. If anyone is under the care of a naturopath and feels it is helpful, please let me know. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my doctor has no clue as to how to treat fibromyaglia and has given me no meds to ease my terrible pain. DESPERATE for relief.

God bless,
    Tes
  2. tes

tes New Member

and I was wondering if anyone can give me any good advice. I have a long wait before I see my rhemy for the first time and I was referred to a naturopath in the mean time. My regular doctor suspects I have fibro and is sending me to rheumy. If anyone is under the care of a naturopath and feels it is helpful, please let me know. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my doctor has no clue as to how to treat fibromyaglia and has given me no meds to ease my terrible pain. DESPERATE for relief.

God bless,
    Tes
  3. lucky

lucky New Member

I just wrote you a note on a recommendation on the other thread and really hope that you can give this Clinic a call, if nothing else, they probably will be able to direct you to somebody who will be able to help you more than a naturopath at the moment.
    I also know of another doctor who I found here in Toronto on the Good Doctor List of Co-Cure who I have seen and who has the illness himself who would be able to at least get you on some proper medication. He is quite an expert, but since he is quite ill still, it will take time to get an appointment. If you are interested, I am mailing you his name and address.
    There also is a Fibromyalgia Group here in Toronto, and I will look it up where you can get in touch with them. Take care, Lucky
  4. tes

tes New Member

Thank you so very much for you kindness and concern. I was just curious what the name of the doctor you're seeing. Dr. Reynolds apparently is a good doctor on fm. I'm sure anywhere I go there will be quite a wait. Another women on this board who lives in Toronto waited 9 months to see the same doctor. I have an appointment with a naturopath on Tuesday, and hope he can give me some relief. I've read quite a few posts on this board and believe naturopaths can really help. How old are you and how long have you suffered with fm?(if you don't mind me asking). What symptoms do you deal with and what meds are you on? I'm currently taking 10mg of nortriptyline and have noticed a very small difference. I'm sure you've read some of my posts and have seen what symptoms I deal with. Lately, I feel so depressed because this has gone on for so long and getting nowhere. My pain is so bad and I feel that I can't cope anymore. This evening I went out christmas shopping... I was feeling o.k. before I left and by the first hour in the mall my ribs and stomach pain had me destroyed. It's hard, as I'm sure you know. I just want to feel normal again(even if it's 50%, I'm not expecting a miracle). I wonder if there's something else wrong with me. It plays mind tricks on us. Anyways, sorry for the long post and once again, I deeply appreciate your concern. We, who suffer with fm, are truely kind hearted people. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

God Bless
    Tes
  5. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

I am so glad you will be seeing a naturopath, maybe they can help. Just last weekend I was talking with my cousin's wife she is seeing a naturopath not for fibro but for other things, has been feeling better and learned of some foods she was allergic to and had no idea. Because she is so interested in finding other alternatives to medication she is studying it as well. She has 2 boys and went back to school full time to get her certificate. She needs some people for case study so I offered myself to her. Lol. Maybe she can offer me some advice. I think in the present and future people will seek other methods other than medication because of their side effects, it helps one problem but creates another. Tes let us know what happens I'm interested. Mom3
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

Thanks for your reply, Tes. Unfortunately, if you read Spedding's message to me, you will notice that there is quite a different tone because he feels that I am not a follower of Dr. Smythe's treatments, but this is not the case, but I also do not think it is fair to other people who are in desperate need for help to advertise this doctor all over the board.
    I know excactly what position you are in and how you feel and that's my concern to give some advice of how to get help and where to get help as soon as possible.
    I have CFS/FMS, but I suffer more from the fatigue, than the fibropain and have been diagnosed with first CFS 15 yrs. ago. In other words, I have made the rounds over the years and have an idea where or what one can do than look just beyond one doctor. As you know, it is still very difficult to find the proper care which we need.
    If you go on the Website of Compassion in Action you will find also under Canadian CFS,ME &FM Groups the National ME/FM Action Network. On the left side of this website at the bottom and when you press on 'contact' you will see all the places you can contact around Toronto. Among others the Environmental Health Clinic is mentioned as well which I was talking about in my previous message. If you phone any of these health providers, I am sure that they will be a good step to get either help or at least they can give you further references.
    Since I have been ill for a long time, I have seen many doctors, unfortunately some of the good ones are not practicing anymore because they are sick themselves, but I mostly do get good care from my family doctor who is very informed about these illnesses. But basically it is still as you see very difficult to find somebody who really understands these illnesses. At the Environmental Health Clinic they are trained and the best choice probably at the moment for you. Therefore, it is easy when one is very desperate to may be spend money on treatments which will often not work. The best way is to educate yourself as much as you can to be able to make the proper choices.
    My first step, Tes, would be to get in touch with the Environmental Health Clinic, and if they cannot give you an appointment soon, at least ask them what else they have to suggest because you need help fast. The doctor I have seen here in Toronto who has the illness himself is very knowledgeable as well, but to get an appointment with him might take too long. Have a look at the other places which are mentioned on the National ME/FM Action Network and phone them up. I will sign off now, but pls. write to me, and we are finding out a way to get you the help you need. Take care, Lucky
  7. tes

tes New Member

Thank you very much for responding to my post. Very interesting. My doctor thinks that I'm starting to suffer with ibs. I don't get the diarreha, although, I do get constipated, have major gas and abnominal pain quite frequently. I do notice that certain foods I eat add to my pain....chocolate, patatoes, caffiene, corn..etc. Soon as I consume these foods, I get gasey, crampy and very agitated. I hope this natuopatic doctor can help me as much as yours has helped you. Your information was greatly appreciated. Take care and many pain free days to us all!

Take care,
    Tes
  8. lucky

lucky New Member

I agree with you regards to side effects of meds, however, since we all have different symptoms with FMS, not one person is the same. If somebody is suffering from severe problems, like depression, hormonal imbalances, etc. these should be addressed. Usually a naturopath might be helpful to keep some of the symptoms under control. Take care, Lucky