I'm sleeping normally now too. No drugs, just diet and excercise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by xchocoholic, Sep 15, 2006.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi folks,

My sleep has been perfectly normal for the last 10 days. First time in 16 and 1/2 years ...YIPPEE !! YAHOO !!!

I get sleepy around 10 or 11 each nite. I sleep about 9 hours and wake up refreshed. And even if I wake up in the middle of the nite, I fall right back to sleep. I was sitting there for hours wide awake.

Even my hot flashes are not keeping me up now. Geesh !!

I incorporated excercise in during the last 2 weeks too. Stretching excercises, walking, shopping : )

I am shocked at how many of my CFIDS/FM symptoms were diet related. Myoclonus, fatigue, brain fog, ADD, and now all of my sleep problems. GRRRR !!!

OH and apparently, I don't need a motorized cart anymore either. GRRR!! I've been walking normally for 2 weeks now.

At any rate, I hope ya'll will give a healthy diet a try. Start by getting the gluten out. Then look into other foods too. I can't have gluten, soy, eggs, dairy or corn. We don't need chemicals either. Be sure to treat candida too. Add omegas for inflamation and brain fog.

I have to treat my hypoglycemia too by eating a high protein diet and by eating every 2 or 3 hours.

The best to all of you ... HUGS ... xchocoholic

[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006]
  2. swiss

swiss New Member

Can you tell us what foods made you worse? Very interested!

Thanks,
    Michele
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Wonderful news!
  4. koala_kristy

koala_kristy New Member

Congratulations to you!!
    Sleep does wonders for us.
    I was wondering what you DO eat. I also am hypoglycemic and insulin resistant and have the candida. I try to stay off high concentrates of sugar but I find that I do need to eat some fruit with some meals to keep me feeling okay. I always feel hungry/hypoglycemic even with supplementation of chromium and vanadium.
    Keep up the good work...
    Kristina
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Everyone has different foods that they are sensitive to, but wheat, soy, dairy, corn and eggs are very common.

It's because we eat these in alarming amounts. These are common fillers / ingredients in processed foods and even medications.

Elimininating those is a good place to start. You just have to keep looking at your diet and how you feel and changing it according to your needs.

I started this diet over a year ago and noticed a change since the first day. Oats were making me feel hyper. It has taken a year to figure out what foods caused what reactions in me.

Wheat makes me sleepy, soy and corn cause stomach spasms, processed grains give me brain fog immediately, etc.

Some results are an accumulation of all the diet changes. I feel healthier. I'm still a little tired from time to time, but that's it.

I added excercise to my regime 2 weeks ago and am sure this is helping too.

Good luck with this. : )

Xchocoholic
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2006]
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I have those too and find that I have to start my day upon waking with a few raw nuts. Followed by meat.

I found that I have to eat meat for protein. Nothing else works as well for sustained energy. I munch on raw nuts and a couple of dried figs or apricots all day too.

I use kefir (all natural probiotic) and weak pau d' arco tea, olive tree leaf tea and sometimes clove to treat candida. I don't have any yeast problems any more.

I got most of the sugars and processed grains out of my diet too though. I'll eat a little of these last thing at nite, but that is the only time.

I prefer fresh fruits and veggies now.

Good luck with all of this. Xchocoholic

7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

this is <b>exciting news!</b> Congratulations! This makes me want to see the naturopath all the more and get tested for food sensitivites!

<b>CONGRATULATIONS, XCHOCOHOLIC!!</b>
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Congratulations!!! You must be thrilled to have worked hard at something and find that it is paying off. Good for you. It takes time, discipline and sacrifice. I think that sometimes we get in a rut and think...oh I feel so sick, I'm not going to deprive myself of (........)fill in the blank. And sometimes it is that very thing that we cling to that is making us feel sicker.

Also, the eating every 3 hours or so is the best way according to my FMS doctor. She says that within 3 hours our brain has utilized all the nutrients from the food we eat. If we don't eat again, the brain will take the nutrients it needs from our other organs. I wish I could explain this in a more professional, medically-sounding manner. But, bottom line is small meals throughout the day....at least 5 times ....and each should contain protein.

I have one question for you about breakfast. Breakfast has always been the most difficult meal for me. You said that you have nuts and meat. Can you please be a bit more specific? Can you give me an example of exactly what you eat for breakfast?

Thanks,

Lolalee
  9. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am sooo excited about all of this. : )

I am eager for you to feel better too, so please don't think I am being critical.

I don't understand the ins and out of food allergies or sensitivities, but my experience was that I could re-introduce foods that gave me a problem at a later date. It took several attempts with most foods.

I had to re-introduce 90% of the foods I am eating now because I could only eat a few foods too in July 2005.

Some foods, like tomatoes, nuts and garlic, I re-introduced about 10 times before I could eat them. I was determined to get these back in my diet. : )

I keep trying dairy (Ice cream), but it tears me up.

The most important thing to remember about healing the gut is to find a group of "safe" foods and keep going back to it everytime your digestion gets out of whack. This will be your base food group too.

And probiotics really do help as do digestive enzymes.

I can't digest capsules or tablets, so I have to drink Kefir (probiotic) and eat papaya or mango.

Best of luck to you ... xchocoholic

10. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am very excited and a little nervous that this is not going to last. : )

I take comfort in the fact that my myoclonus has been gone since August though.

I just figured out this past month that I feel good if I eat a lot of protein every few hours. It has to be protein though.

About breakfast .. I get really bad brain fog in the am if I eat any kind of processed grain or carbs.

Actually, I get bad brain fog if I have too many processed grains or carbs period.

So, I quickly grab a few raw nuts when I first wake up. That gives me about an hour of energy to fix some kind of meat.

Today I had left over steak and onions with millet for breakfast. I was eating breaded and fried cubed buffalo meat there for awhile. Leftovers are easier though.

hope this helps ..... xchocoholic

11. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks for the info re bkfst. As long as I can remember I've had carbs for bkfst....whole grain toast w/egg or homemade muesli or granola with yogurt and fruit.....and decaf coffee. I don't know if I shouldn't be eating these carbs. I always feel better when I eat protein.

I've been thinking of cutting back on the carbs. Sometimes I wish I had a chef or someone to take care of me and cook my meals...wouldn't that be great!!!

My snacks are cashew nuts and fruit or hummus and raw veggies.

I'm really tired right now so I'm going to sign off before I keep rambling.

Take care,
    Lolalee
  12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Food allergies or intolerances are tough.... It is not only the food itself, but how it was processed, how it is stored.

It is especially difficult for us with fibrofog to wade our way through all of this.

I had help initially, from a doctor with testing, for foods and environmental allergies.

It gave me a leg up. And made a HUGE difference.

June
  13. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

excholcholatic:

Continue success for you! I am learning to watch what I put in my system, as far as food, too.

nyrofan
  14. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Lolalee,

I would love to have a chef : ) I'm not good with spices at all so my food is boring at times.

June,

I had a heck of a time getting through all this too. That's why it took me over a year : )But I have to admit, I enjoyed the research.

That's great that you had a doctor to help you with all of this. Mine just gave me directions and sent me off on my own.

NyroFan,

Thanks, I think about you everytime I come to the board, but I don't want to be a pest : )

We just have sooo many symptoms in common.

Best wishes to all of you on figuring all of this out. The celiac board is a good place for gluten free diet info.

xchocoholic
  15. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

You're right. The best hope for getting well, I think, is cleaning up the diet.

About a year ago, I started eating a totally raw food diet. All fresh fruit and veggies with some nuts and seeds. I had started feeling better, but as soon as I started "treating" myself to other stuff now and then, I got hooked on the bad stuff again.

It's really hard if you have a family that doesn't want to eat this way, but that wasn't my problem. For me it was the occasionaly eating out, or the occasional cooking for or eating with family I don't live with.

I keep telling myself that I need to get back to eating better, but I'm finding it hard to commit myself to it. Guess I'm weak Huh?!?!?

You just keep on keeping on. I'm going to sat a date to give it another shot. For now it seems, a good diet is our best and probably only hope.

Barb