I'm So Confused

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lucysmom2, Jun 10, 2006.

1. lucysmom2

lucysmom2 New Member

Had my first appointment with a Rheumatologist last Friday. His dx was that I only had 4 fibro trigger point responses so he doesn't think it's fibromyalgia. He said it is probably myofascial pain syndrome and also I am riddled with arthritis. I have been suffering for over 3
    years with this DD. Symptoms: muscle pain, joint pain, depression, severe anxiety, tremors, inner shakiness, feel like I have lost the person I was, morning fog or grogginess, irritability, fatigue. I've been to so many other docs in the past 3 years & so tired of receiving differing diagnoses, such as depression, polymyalgia, cervical radiculopathy. Why is this illness so difficult to diagnose? Sorry, just needed to vent. I've been reading a lot of posts here and they sound just like me.
  2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

You are having such a hard time getting a diagnosis. I know how frustrating it is. I have been going through this for over year and just got a diagnosis of FM this week. From an orthopedic doctor, no less, which is not the "norm" so I understand. My rheumatologist wouldn't even consider it! Go figure.

All I can say is don't give up! What other kinds of doctors have you seen so far and what do they say? What kinds of films have you had (x-ray, MRI, CT scan, etc.) to rule out other things?

Hang in there. There is an answer to all this.

Julie
  3. lucysmom2

lucysmom2 New Member

I've had 2 EMG tests, 1 MRI of cervical spine, 1 T-Spine xray. New Rheumy is going to get copies of those tests, so that is good. I have seen 2 neurologists, 1 orthopoedist, 1 family physician, 2 psychiatrists and a partridge in a pear tree (lol). Seriously, I often wish I had a broken arm so I could say "Here...see this??? A broken arm. Now what's your diagnosis?" I have been on Cymbalta (helped for a year then pooped out), now I'm on 20 mg Prozac and 1mg Klonopin daily. The Rheumy has added Lodine, an anti-inflamatory, and also Flexeril (which I cannot take as it makes me feel like I'm drugged or loopy). He's not going to be happy when I go back to him and tell him I can't take the Flexeril. I am scheduled for water therapy, however, and I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for your interest, truly.
  4. azbubba

azbubba New Member

My case is a bit different...but I got the FM dx after a whole lot of stuff. I have: 3 hemotologists/oncologists, 2 PCPs, cardiologist, pulmonologist, infectious diseases doc, and finally the rheumatologist that gave me the dx.

Tests I've had: CT of sinus, head, neck, chest, pelvis, ultrasound of heart and thyroid, countless blood tests (including up to 13 vials drawn in one visit), tagged white blood cell scan, 2 chest xrays, bone marrow biopsy, and some other stuff that I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Now that I'm done ranting about what I've been thru, here's something you may find helpful: when my rheumatologist did his first exam of me, he only found 8 of the 18 points that had pain. But when he saw me the second time and gave me the dx, I asked him about it. He says that not everyone with FM has at least 11 points that have pain. Some days an FM patient might have a few, other days it's much more. He says that the dx is given more on the basis of recurring symptoms, and not just because on a given day you have 11/18.

Could you get a second opinion?? Hope this helps.

Bubba
  5. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I think most of us have all these tests and doctors appointments before we finally get a diagnosis! I think I read that the average FM patient has to wait 5 years for an official diagnosis! So, only a year for me, I should feel thankful! LOL.

Have you tried taking the Flexaril only at night so it will help you sleep? I just started Flexdaril a few days ago, and that is what the doctor suggested. I don't know if it's really helping me sleep or not. LOL. But I haven't taken it during the day yet. I can take Skelaxin during the day without feeling too drowsy.

Ask about Ultram that really is the only thing I've tried so far that has "turned down the volume" on my pain.
    God bless,
    Julie
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

lucysmom2: I am so sorry that you have had a hard time getting doctors to recognize what is going on with you so you could get better. I didn't see nearly as many doctors in my process of diagnosis of CFIDS, but I was enraged and frustrated, so I can't imagine how you feel!

A lot of your symptoms sound like fibro and maybe CFS/CFIDS ...I have a lot of the same symptoms like anxiety, joint and muscle pain, tendency towards depression, irritability, fatiguem morning fog etc. You can read my profile where I listed what has worked for me- I'm feeling probably about 85% better than I was about 6 months a go (when I finally got a health care provider that heard and understood me!)

I wish you much luck and I will check back here in this thread to see how you are doing. :)

[This Message was Edited on 06/11/2006]