I'm so excited I got a scholarship to attend IACFS conference

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pamj, Dec 19, 2006.

1. pamj

pamj New Member

I'm so happy, I just had to share the news with people who would understand!

My husband & I got an Advocates Extraodinaire scholarship which covers the 5-day conference and banquet. It's for the work I've been doing with Ashley, and he is also volunteering to help while were at the conference. The regular cost would have been 290 per person. I certainly wouldn't be going if this didn't happen!

I'm a bit nervous because I haven't traveled for 5 years, since I got sick. I figured since it's just Boston to FL, it should be a short enough flight to handle. Hopefully I'll be able to attend most of the lectures, but I'll have to see what happens. I'm just so afraid that I won't feel well enough to do much. The most important part they want me to participate in is the advocacy part, which is the first day. We'll fly in the day before to make sure I'm rested enough for that.

I just booked the flights & hotel... so I better not push myself the next couple of weeks. I'd hate to miss it!

Let me now if anyone here is going, or if you know someone who will be.

Pam :)

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Great News! Hope you have a wonderful experience that you can share w/ us later.
  3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Drink plenty of water while on the plane. Get up and walk down the aisle about every hour. Bring ear plugs incase you end up with a screaming baby in the seats behind you.

Carry a light weight jacket or sweater incase you have someone else's overhead air jet blowing on you.

Grab a pillow and a blanket when you first get on the plane; there aren't enough to go around. If you don't use it for your neck, stuff the little pillow in the small of your back.

You are wise to get there a day ahead of time. Did you request a non-smoking room? Take your meds on the plane with you. Never put your meds into your luggage that will go into the belly of the plane.

Tie a brightly colored ribbon on each of the handles of your luggage. (Use the same color ribbon on all pieces.) That way, you will be able to spot them easily when you go to the baggage claim turnstyle.

I hope you have a great trip.
  4. pamj

pamj New Member

Joyfully, thanks for the reminders! These are things I never would have forgotten in the past, but this trip is so much different than before... I never had to keep so many meds with me!

I told the hotel I needed a non-smoking room, and the "unhelpful" associate said "we can put in the request m'am, but we can't guarantee it"... I told her that it was necessary due to my illness, and she repeated it. I wanted to reach through the phone and smack her! I know I don't have to worry about it, because Marc is the type of person who will make sure I don't have a problem when we get there. I just can't stand people who "m'am" you to death, and don't listen to you as if you're actually a person on the other end of the phone!

So, silly question... what do people wear during the day to medical conferences? Do I need to dress "business", or are jeans & an awareness shirt okay for the lectures? I'll bring a dress for the banquet, but I'm hoping to bring an easy wardrobe otherwise.

5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Quite an accomplishment. I hope you enjoy.
    Joyfully wrote a very good list of reminders,etc.
    Guess I have to add one more...wearing an air filtering mask.
    May feel silly, but I think quite acceptable in places like Japan, and might save you from ...lord knows what nowadays.
    I think that an ironic result of banning smoking on airplanes is that it made it possible to reduce air filtering on planes in half...saving perhaps a couple thousand dollars per flight in air filtering canisters.
    But probably doubling everyone's chances of catching a virus or cold on a flight. Sigh. mr Bill
    Just remembered: there is supposed to be a way of preventing drying out of nasal passages and avoiding catching a virus by putting vaseline inside of nose when in the dry air of airplanes.[This Message was Edited on 12/19/2006]
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I would dress casually. I just did a two hour flight to France (from UK) and back after 4 days and I was fine. Lots of water to stop from getting dehydrated and moving toes and feet about, walk if you can.

Also, buy a pair of the special socks for flying that help prevent deep vein thrombosis......A MUST!

Looking forward to hearing what they discussed, relax and enjoy yourself as much as possible.

7. mezombie

mezombie Member

As to what to wear, I think you'll find people wear everything from casual to business attire. I'd suggest wearing what you're comfortable in, especially for the patient conference section. If you will be a speaker, maybe a pair of slacks, shirt (or t-shirt) and a coat sweater would be a good compromise.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's just fascinating seeing all the big-name researchers in person, and you'll meet lots of other patients who are interested in research and advocacy.

Have a great time!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It sounds like a very interesting conference. Take it easy, enjoy Florida, and don't overdo. I hope you'll let us know about interesting things that you learn there.
  9. pamj

pamj New Member

I'll do my best to "recognize" you, but it might be easier if you see me first :)

My pic is on my profile, and I'll probably be wearing the same shirt, or another awareness shirt from Ashley. I just didn't know if it was appropriate to wear jeans... I guess I'll probably bring black pants. I have "office" clothes, but I want to be comfortable. I don't want to overpack, so I'll do my best to compromise :)

See you soon!