I'm so sick of these stupid panic attacks, I can't lead my life

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, Dec 1, 2002.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

Hubby & I went to Adelaide to visit family on the weekend & to go to a family birthday party.
    I felt panicked the whole way over there (a 2 1/2 hour drive) even though I took a diazapam first :(
    I spent ALL of my time inside whilst we stayed at my Grandmothers. Had to spend one night sitting up with my eldest daughter as she had a fever. I called out a locum & felt panicked the whole time he was there. Even more so when he said that she had to pee within the hour, or they were going to admit her to hospital :(
    I could tell by this stage that hubby was tired & stressed :(
    Went to the family show & I sat in the lounge most of the time, sat outside a little, but it was so bright & loud I thought that I would surely pass out :(
    Then when we left there to drive home I noticed Hubby wasn't looking too good.
    We got half way home & he asked me to drive.... OH @*it! There wasn't much of an option as I could see that he couldn't do it :( I hadn't had ANY diazapam & didn't take it then.
    I said I would & felt YUCK the whole way. I managed to have one kangaroo jump out at me, so I had to swerve the car. That didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but I think delayed reaction kicked in about 25kms down the road as I felt horrid & nearly had to pull the car over :(
    Then I came over a hill & there was a fox sitting in the middle of the road & had to hit the brakes. AAAGGGHHHH
    I managed to make it home (I've never been so relieved in my life), & today I feel like I've been hit by a truck.
    I didn't panic at all the whole drive, I just felt plain sick :(
    How could something that used to bring me so much joy, now utterly terrify me???
    I used to ALWAYS drive to town, as Jace gets really tired & would rather sleep!
    I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow to see my doc on Thursday, on top of the FMS/CFS I can't live like this :(

Lisa
  2. lease79

lease79 New Member

Hubby & I went to Adelaide to visit family on the weekend & to go to a family birthday party.
    I felt panicked the whole way over there (a 2 1/2 hour drive) even though I took a diazapam first :(
    I spent ALL of my time inside whilst we stayed at my Grandmothers. Had to spend one night sitting up with my eldest daughter as she had a fever. I called out a locum & felt panicked the whole time he was there. Even more so when he said that she had to pee within the hour, or they were going to admit her to hospital :(
    I could tell by this stage that hubby was tired & stressed :(
    Went to the family show & I sat in the lounge most of the time, sat outside a little, but it was so bright & loud I thought that I would surely pass out :(
    Then when we left there to drive home I noticed Hubby wasn't looking too good.
    We got half way home & he asked me to drive.... OH @*it! There wasn't much of an option as I could see that he couldn't do it :( I hadn't had ANY diazapam & didn't take it then.
    I said I would & felt YUCK the whole way. I managed to have one kangaroo jump out at me, so I had to swerve the car. That didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, but I think delayed reaction kicked in about 25kms down the road as I felt horrid & nearly had to pull the car over :(
    Then I came over a hill & there was a fox sitting in the middle of the road & had to hit the brakes. AAAGGGHHHH
    I managed to make it home (I've never been so relieved in my life), & today I feel like I've been hit by a truck.
    I didn't panic at all the whole drive, I just felt plain sick :(
    How could something that used to bring me so much joy, now utterly terrify me???
    I used to ALWAYS drive to town, as Jace gets really tired & would rather sleep!
    I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow to see my doc on Thursday, on top of the FMS/CFS I can't live like this :(

Lisa
  3. Kim

Kim New Member

Valium is a great muscle relaxant, I take it at night. Xanax is the drug of choice for panic attacks. I haven't had one since I started taking it over 10 years ago and I used to get them all the time. They are HORRIBLE. It can also stop a panic attack in progress if you put it under your tongue and let it dissolve. Get the lowest dose and give it a try. kim
  4. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I too used to suffer from severe panic attacks and went from leading a normal life to being housebound in 1 month. I got therapy and meds. I was weaned off the meds and about a year and a half later they came back. I had moved by then and needed to find a new therapist, and he was a big looser.
    He finally told me the way to get rid of panic attacks is to acknowledge they are happening, realize nothing bad is going to happen to you, and they will lose their importance and eventually go away. I thought this was the biggest bunch of bull I had ever heard. Istormed out of his office Swearing never to go back. The panic attacks got worse, so I decided to try his demented logic. Well it worked. And it didn't even take awhile it worked right away, with no drugs either. I have not had a full blown panic attack since. If I feel one coming on I say to myself"oh it's just a panic attack and I need to get on with my" day and it goes away. I think the most important thing also is not trying to fight them off, it always makes it worse. I am still panic attack free although I do suffer from a mild anxiety disorder. Your life will get back to normal, but it's up to you to do it. Good luck.

Many sympathetic hugs,

Maria
  5. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

and you WILL eventually get over them. I had them for all of the 90's and then a psychologist taught me how to breathe properly and that stopped them dead cold in their tracks. I still have mild anxiety, but I now have CONTROL over panic attacks. I don't remember the last time I had one. It sounds like you are doing alot of shallow breathing, which in turn disturbs the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood, which leads to panic attacks. You can stop all that by breathing properly. Do you know how? I probably won't see this thread again, so you can email me at ssmarilyn@yahoo.com and I can give you the url for a site that teaches you how to breathe properly and control panic attacks and it's all FREE!!!

Marilyn :)
  6. lease79

lease79 New Member

It's nice (well not nice, you know what I mean ;)) to know that I am not the only one.
    My doc has given me two sheets on how to breathe properly & a breathing exercise to do when I feel a panic attack coming on.
    I am at the moment just trying to control the breathing, as the relaxation technique takes 15-20 minutes & with three little kids under foot is virtually impossible.
    I must go & make an appointment to see my doc again tomorrow.
    Thanks again

Lease
  7. mellow

mellow New Member

I have also suffered from panic attacks. They started after an operation when I woke up as they were removing the tube from my throat and I heard them telling me to take a deep breath. I couldn't breathe and thought I was dying. I must have gone out to it then. After that I got them all the time. I hated being anywhere where I felt confined as this usually made me panic and brought on an attack. I read up on this condition and knew that if it happened I was not going to die and I found that by focusing on an object I got it under control. I have not had an attack for a long time now. This technique worked well for me.
    I found that the important thing was not to avoid a situation where you knew you might have an attack. This was really hard to do but I was determined not to let them control where I went and what I could do. After putting myself in these situations over and over again I realised there was nothing to fear and forgot all about the panic. Its important that you don't let these attacks control you. I know its really hard to do but in the long run its worth it. Love Mellow
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My sister used to have horrible panic attacks. I got her
    a good book on it[can`t remember the name of it] but it really helped her. One tip the book gave that she said
    really helped was to put a rubber band on your wrist and when you feel a attack or anxiety coming on to snap it lightly on her wrist. Its a distraction plus it really brings you back in the moment and out of the anxiety.

Get yourself a good book on panic attacks and learn all you can and you will feel more in control of it. Also, the books have a lot of good coping skills.