I'm taking the dive today..I'm going for my first mamogram

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Wish me luck....
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Wish me luck....
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hi carlacat,

I had my baseline at age 39. It was not a bad experience. As for pain, I had some and I am so familiar with pain that it was okay.

I trust you will do well...jan
  4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Let is know, I need to get going on those but I just hurt so bad & I am a baby!!!!

Needles just kill me these days & I never had a problem before, but then it never used to hurt to be touched, hugged, kissed on cheek (mustache hubby) and anything else that touches my body!!!!!!

My blankets in bed do not hurt tho, that it one thing.

Jaci
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am a veteran of the Mammogram, having had 21 of them so far! My first lump was discovered at age 30 and the Mammogram showed fibrocystic breasts, a common condition in women who have not carried a child to term. I have had to have one every yr. becaue of it, and am now 51. They press down a lot harder now and take more views than they used to way back when, but it is nothing compared to FMS pain and is over in a minute.
    I often think the very worst thing about FMS pain is that it does not end. With other pain, there is always the light at the end of the tunnel and you can say to yourself "this too shall pass". Compared to FMS, a mammogram is a day at the beach.
    I don't mean to get nosey, but aren't you awfully young to be having a mammogram? I hope nothing is wrong.
    God Bless,
    Klutzo
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I started having them at 30,I've had a least 3 or 4.They're not bad~ slightly uncomfortable...if that,No pain for me.And I'm a hearty C!!lol I'm due for one again after the holidays.Its a breeze!!
    Good luck!
    Tracey
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You'll do fine!! I've had many, I started at a young age because my Mom has breast cancer. So I've had them both before and after FM symptoms. No difference. I don't find them truly painful, just uncomfortable. But we're all different in how we feel pain & where. I think you'll be fine & you'll breathe easier knowing you're being proactive about breast disease.

Good for you!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

That wasnt bad at all. It didnt take that long either. I am 39 yrs old and I just decided since I've had all this other stuff going wrong with my body I might as well go all the way to check out everything. Shoot that wasnt painful...I've been stuck with so many needles and had so many tests ran on me that this was a walk in the park. I think the worst test I've ever had to go thru was an EMG with sticking the little needles in me..that was very painful and I had to have two of them done to top it off. Ladies have your mamogram done....Its simple.
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm glad it went fine for you! And glad you posted about how it went so others won't be fearful about going-- Luckily, they're only once a year for most of us.

Good job!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

That's the way to go girl!
  11. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've been having annual mammograms since I was in my late 30's, and they have never hurt me. I agree with you, the EMG studies are incredibly painful; I had that recently and I will *never* have another one!
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

We TRIED to tell you it was nothing....NOW, talk my good friend Jaci into it!!!!!!
    Love and pride!
    Kady
  13. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am glad to see the comparison, I had an emg a few mo ago and I found it bad too, however when it was over I thought "I could do that again if I had to".

Allright you guys, I know you just care, I have dental work next week tho so after the holidays I promise (eeeeeeeeeeek) I will make myself.

Jaci

14. kadywill

kadywill New Member

what a woman!!!!!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  15. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

You won't ever regret it, either! Now Jaci, get going! LOL
    Peace,
    Stormy
  16. teach6

teach6 New Member

Mine will be in February. It was the soonest they couold get me in. I'm glad so many of you are not bothered by mamograms. personally I hate them. At one point I seriously considered not having them again because of the pain.

The technician told me a couple of years ago that some women have more sensitive breasts. That would be me. She said to try and schedule one right after my period and to take two Advil about six hours before and two more about two hours before. That seems to help a little. My breasts are in pain for at least a day, if not longer, after I have a mammomgram.

When I have to schedule on three months in advance and my breasts are tender at least two and a half weeks out of four, it's prety hard to pinpoint when that brief window will occur.

Barbara
  17. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Not I, I will be goin straight for the hydrocodone, I don't wanna feel it, I know after I have been thru one it will be ok, just need to work up the nerve, January I will.

Jees, you guys are tough!

Jaci
  18. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I saw a friend of mine go thru alot of pain and suffering because she didnt want to get one done. She ended up with breast cancer and the pain she endured then was alot more then 10 min of being alittle uncomfortable. It was pitiful and there wasnt nothing I could do. So please go have one done, it may save you alot of pain in the end.
  19. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I got my results today and no signs of cancer!!!!! I'm glad I had it done and now I know. Thanks everyone...
    Carlacat